RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anyone Consider 2007 Acura MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 08:52 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 2007 MDX is awesome. The MDX actually has more utility for us because it is bigger than the RX350, gives us the option for a 3rd row of seats that folds into the floor, and handles better than the RX350.

We are going to wait until the second model year to purchase the MDX to let them work out problems if any. I have learned my lesson by purchasing the first year ES350...lots of problems with no solutions.
Old 12-19-06, 12:41 PM
initiald
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Care to show me an URL? Remember RX330 supposed to be 50/50 and it turned out to be false.
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z12618/default.aspx

To couple with the newly gained additional horsepower and torque of the V6, the all-wheel drive RX 350 uses a viscous limited-slip center differential to enhance drivability in all types of driving conditions. The full-time AWD system works with TRAC to evenly distribute power to both axles with a constant 50/50 front-to-rear power split. If slippage occurs, the viscous coupling differential directs torque to the wheels with the most traction.
Old 12-19-06, 01:24 PM
LexFather

Again, I like the SH-AWD system but can someone post a link or proof of owners "losing control" or the system working against the driver in snow/ice?

The system was around 2 years ago on the RL, I haven't heard of such problems.
Old 12-19-06, 01:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree. I dont see how the SH-AWD will lose control in the snow. If anything, torque is allocated to the wheel with more traction, whether it be SH-AWD or the Lexus' AWD. The only time I can see a car going out of control is if the driver makes a bonehead move and floors the car through the turns, tires are crappy, or the road is too slippery to even drive on. In that case, it's not Lexus or Acura's drivetrain that's the problem
Old 12-19-06, 04:23 PM
initiald
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again, I like the SH-AWD system but can someone post a link or proof of owners "losing control" or the system working against the driver in snow/ice?

The system was around 2 years ago on the RL, I haven't heard of such problems.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...cialGlobeAuto/

"But not in the snow. With about 50 cm of the white stuff on my street in Delta, B.C., I was shocked to discover that the MDX could barely get out of its own way and really struggled on compacted ice and those wonderful frozen potholes and miniature gullies that build up in intersections.

The problem seems to be within the SH-AWD system, which programs the engine to re-direct power when any of the driving wheels start to slip. But it does so in a way that is meant to stabilize the vehicle during high-speed cornering, not in the middle of knee-deep snow or on an icy side-street."
Old 12-19-06, 06:45 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by initiald

"But not in the snow. With about 50 cm of the white stuff on my street in Delta, B.C., I was shocked to discover that the MDX could barely get out of its own way and really struggled on compacted ice and those wonderful frozen potholes and miniature gullies that build up in intersections.

The problem seems to be within the SH-AWD system, which programs the engine to re-direct power when any of the driving wheels start to slip. But it does so in a way that is meant to stabilize the vehicle during high-speed cornering, not in the middle of knee-deep snow or on an icy side-street."
This is really surprising and unfortunate. I guess I can understand why the SH-AWD can work against you in the snow. Here is my guess. When making a turn in the snow, the outer wheels are given extra power thus causing them to slip in the snow. This in turn causes the stability system to kick in and control the car by cutting power, etc...

Once again the wrong focus for this vehicle. Handling should not be a higher priority than snow driving capability. This is why the Lexus sells so many vehicles. They really analize what the focus of a vehicle should be.

Kan-O-Z
Old 12-19-06, 07:56 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by initiald

Thanks for the link! Wow, I see what they are saying. You do want to continue moving in the snow (for those of us that have gotten stuck ) never stop.

Its the gotdamn fascination with the Nurburgring (this is not a MDX rant, an ALL automaker rant). They should test SUVs in snow courses, not a damn racetrack The Nurburgring is being exploited and now every car/SUV has to have 45 series sidewalls and thicker sway bars and the handling prowness of a 911. I can understand Porsche or Ferrari battling away to knock 2 tenths of a damn second off a lap. Why mainstream cars/SUVs are being tested there makes NO SENSE. Engineers are taking unnecessary feedback and putting them into cars to please some damn magazine reviewers. Now car companies can take dumb "spyshots" of their cars around the "ring" (Lexus does this crap too), give the "spyshots" to magazines and also advertise "Tested at the Nurburgring". Hey, 99.9% of Americans don't even know WHERE it is, let alone WHAT it is.

In 5 years, I've seen people complain more and more about
rattles
low profile tires
harsh ride
tire usage
agrresive brakes
etc

And I can't help but think it is b/c of engineers fascination to please car reviews and not people.

(rant over)
P.S- I do wish to drive the "ring" one day.
Old 12-19-06, 09:08 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
This is really surprising and unfortunate. I guess I can understand why the SH-AWD can work against you in the snow. Here is my guess. When making a turn in the snow, the outer wheels are given extra power thus causing them to slip in the snow. This in turn causes the stability system to kick in and control the car by cutting power, etc...

Once again the wrong focus for this vehicle. Handling should not be a higher priority than snow driving capability. This is why the Lexus sells so many vehicles. They really analize what the focus of a vehicle should be.

Kan-O-Z
check out this thread, 50cm is deep snow, it is a challenge for any SUV.
Here is one RX330 owners that had wheels spin, engine shut down, and had to ask guys to push the SUV out of a deep snow
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204368
OT, I believe RWD SUV will do worse than AWD with snow that deep.
Old 12-20-06, 01:30 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hasten to add that my test car was equipped with SUV-specific, all-season tires (Michelin Latitude) and maybe that was the problem.
I'd say that is probably the largest part of the problem. Looking at the RL owners that have been using SH-AWD in the snow since 05, I have read many positive comments about it in the snow. It is hard to fault a vehicle for having poor performance in the snow with "All Season" tires used and not snow tires. We have all read about some of the best AWD cars having trouble in the snow without snow tires.

Here is one positive comments about SH-AWD in the snow from an owner of other AWD cars.
Have had my RL for two weeks now and the drive is incredible. I'm in Montreal, Canada and we have had our share of snow and ice already and the handling is amazing. I have driven all types of AWD systems in the past (Audi, BMW, Jeep, etc.) and can easily say that this is the best yet.
Old 12-20-06, 02:48 AM
norush
Driver School Candidate

Here is one RX330 owners that had wheels spin, engine shut down, and had to ask guys to push the SUV out of a deep snow
Tuned, you are missing the point, that thread is about RX330 and not 350, 50/50 split and limited slip make a huge diff in the snow (along with the light weight)

Rx350 does way better in the snow when one would expect (my still has stock tires on it)

But hey, MDX is a fine car, I test drove it, it will out corner RX any day and that is my only beef with the RX so far along with shallow seats. MDX has the same seat problem too though (damn Japanese guys are just too small to see a need for a deeper buckets)
Old 12-20-06, 08:14 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

check out this thread, 50cm is deep snow, it is a challenge for any SUV.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204368
OT, I believe RWD SUV will do worse than AWD with snow that deep.
Here is a review by an editor of the RX350 under heavy snow condtions. The editor was pretty impressed with the RX350. Also note that they mention the 50/50 split of the AWD system.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/07rx350.htm

Kan-O-Z
Old 12-20-06, 11:33 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by norush
Tuned, you are missing the point, that thread is about RX330 and not 350, 50/50 split and limited slip make a huge diff in the snow (along with the light weight)

Rx350 does way better in the snow when one would expect (my still has stock tires on it)

But hey, MDX is a fine car, I test drove it, it will out corner RX any day and that is my only beef with the RX so far along with shallow seats. MDX has the same seat problem too though (damn Japanese guys are just too small to see a need for a deeper buckets)
You may be correct, just RX350 take many features from the RX330 and made small modifications...
Let me go one step further from CK6speed's comment on MDX having all season tires and try compare different test setups between RX350 and MDX
Direct quote,
Here, anti-lock brakes, vehicle stability control (VSC) and, above all, good winter tires are essential for safe foul-weather driving.

And the RX 350 has it all.
but it also speaks to the quality of the rubber under the car - in this case, Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50.
I was taught in science classes (remember those lab days ?) that if you want to compare A vs. B, make sure other factors are held to constant. Just want to make sure we follow that logic when comparing SH-AWD in MDX with RX350's AWD.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 12-20-06 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 03:03 PM
smoothone
Driver School Candidate

Drove the MDX and it's super smooth. Price wise, it was in the ball park of the RX. The problem for me was the size. Just too big and I had no need for the third seat. Bought the RX350 and very pleased so far.
Old 12-20-06, 03:13 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

The tranny is WAY smoother than my RX 330 (even after TSB applications), but I know they've improved that in the RX 350. The MDX is DEFINITELY wider, but it didn't feel longer to me (it's 3-4" longer than the RX). I was surprised to read the MDX is lower than the RX.

I just closed the deal on an MDX ... probably the main factor was that I've already had a Lexus RX 330 and I find the RX a little bland. I have enjoyed the car though! Seriously considered the RX Hybrid, but with the freshening in February (won't be applied to the 400h for the early '08s) and then the new model in April '08 (or so) I figured my car would feel a little dated (to me personally ... obviously it's still an awesome car). Plus, with as much highway miles as I put on it didn't seem to make as much sense to get the hybrid for so much more for only 3mpg improvement.

I'm picking up the MDX on Saturday ... hoping all goes well.
Old 12-20-06, 03:15 PM
norush
Driver School Candidate

I thought I highlighted the fact that I still have stock tires, which is same sucky Michelins all seasons tires as MDX had in the link above.

Look, I am just stating my observation here and you don't need to agree with it, sorry they don't teach that in the high school science classes, it's called Pluralism or acceptance of diversity.

Quick Reply: Anyone Consider 2007 Acura MDX?