RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anyone Consider 2007 Acura MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 11:23 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Consider 2007 Acura MDX?

I currently own an '05 RX 330 and was thinking about trading up for the 400h, but in my looking around and pricing I found out about the remodeled Acura MDX. You really get a lot of features for LESS money than the Lexus RX line. Also the fact that the RX will be updated in a year and a half has me thinking of waiting or going with the Acura.

Has anyone test drove one? I am planning on doing so tomorrow. Any opinions?
Old 12-16-06, 01:21 AM
d6500k
Driver School Candidate

I am driving the 07 RX350. I traded my 01 MDX for the RX. Test drove the new MDX before pulling the trigger on the RX.

Yes, the MDX have a lot more features than the RX. Most of it I found is eye-catching but less practical. Like the display on how the power is distributed between each wheels. It's fun when you first look at it but how useful is that when you are driving. The Tri-zone climate control is another feature that I am not too fancy about. Seriously, how big is the car?

One thing that bug me the most is the claimed 300hp. I never felt that 300 horses. You will know when you test drive both cars.

Some good points on the MDX. The turning radius is quite amazing for its size and there are heated seats on the second row. Cargo space is huge. I onced put a set of IKEA Billy bookcase without any problem.

The workmanship of the MDX is still a bit behind the Lexus. If you grew tired of the RX and looking for a change, the MDX is the alternative. Just don't expect the same kind of refinement in the MDX. Be prepare to visit the gas station more often as the MDX get thirsty easily.
Old 12-16-06, 07:58 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Some of the things seriously pushing me to the MDX ... Aux Jack for iPod, GREAT stereo over the RX, brand new model (which can be bad too), more refined/efficient AWD system, XM radio from factory, more car for less money (can be looked at as bad also).

Basically I can get one with everything the RX 350 has for a little less, yet STILL have a rear DVD, rear heated outboard seats, a way better stereo, etc.

I do like my Lexus though! One thing the Acura did NOT come with was a night/day mirror as well as darkening side mirrors for lights behind you at night.
Old 12-16-06, 08:40 AM
d6500k
Driver School Candidate

My 01 MDX (first year model) have a serious wind noise on the driver's side door which never got fixed.

This year I got another issue on the AC which cost me 2K to fix it. The car was starting to feel less solid and there was some squeaking noise coming from the front suspension when braking.

Well, this is all from my old 1st year model MDX. Maybe mine is kind of a lemon.

I think only the side mirror is not darkening though on the new MDX. Even my old one had the rear view dimmed.
Old 12-16-06, 10:44 AM
Mousse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Husker4the
Some of the things seriously pushing me to the MDX ... Aux Jack for iPod, GREAT stereo over the RX, brand new model (which can be bad too), more refined/efficient AWD system, XM radio from factory, more car for less money (can be looked at as bad also).

Basically I can get one with everything the RX 350 has for a little less, yet STILL have a rear DVD, rear heated outboard seats, a way better stereo, etc.

I do like my Lexus though! One thing the Acura did NOT come with was a night/day mirror as well as darkening side mirrors for lights behind you at night.
I don't think you pay less for all the things you want. Right now, the 350 is selling around invoice or less in some places. The MDX with the rear DVD system is going to cost you at least 46k right now.
Old 12-16-06, 10:48 AM
Mousse
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it's a great car but the navigation is voice only. So, what happens if it malfunctions? There's no alternate way to use it.
Old 12-16-06, 11:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I say go for the MDX if you want a change. That and the RX are two of the best in its class. The MDX, although has 300hp, doesn't "feel" like it because of its weight. It's 500lbs heavier than an RX350, which is enough to make you feel slower off the line. Same reason why my GS400 doesn't feel like 300hp when I drive around the city, in comparison to my friend's Honda Accord. Not to mention, 300hp only happens at the top end so
Old 12-16-06, 11:58 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by d6500k
I am driving the 07 RX350. I traded my 01 MDX for the RX. Test drove the new MDX before pulling the trigger on the RX.

Yes, the MDX have a lot more features than the RX. Most of it I found is eye-catching but less practical. Like the display on how the power is distributed between each wheels. It's fun when you first look at it but how useful is that when you are driving. The Tri-zone climate control is another feature that I am not too fancy about. Seriously, how big is the car?

One thing that bug me the most is the claimed 300hp. I never felt that 300 horses. You will know when you test drive both cars.
Power distribution display is for Super Handling AWD, which can channel torque left and right, front and back. It is not only an excellent mechanism to deliver power, but distribution power where it needs the most also improves handling. This is a task that heavily front biased RX AWD could not do.
What we feel is important, but clock and radar measurements are more objective and scientific. From MSN Auto:

2007 RX350 AWD, 0-60mph is 7.33 sec., 1/4 mile is 15.81 sec @ 89.5 mph.
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...0350&trimid=-1
2007 Acura MDX, 0-60mph is 7.34 sec., 1/4 mile is 15.78 sec @ 90.6 mph.
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...=MDX&trimid=-1
Old 12-16-06, 02:04 PM
My3rdRX
Driver School Candidate

After having three RXs, I switched over to the 07 MDX two months ago and haven't regretted it a bit! Not only are there more technical features, the styling and handling are definitely much more aggressive than the RX as well.

I especially love the real-time traffic on the GPS and have actually come to love the voice-activated feature instead of touch-screen (one can always input data on the dial as well, even when moving). The handling is even better than my 04 RX with Performance Package (I have all three packages on the MDX)!

I have already put 3600 miles on it and it hasn't disappointed me at all! I say, "Go for it!"
Old 12-16-06, 05:15 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mousse
Yes, it's a great car but the navigation is voice only. So, what happens if it malfunctions? There's no alternate way to use it.

You can still input info manually.
Old 12-16-06, 05:43 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I bought the 07 RX350, I wanted to get the 07 MDX, I think its a much better car overall because it's the next generation. The old MDX sucked, the new one is so much better in all aspects, the options alone make it worthwhile, heck, 2nd row heated seats, adjustable suspension, etc. I'm sure when the new RX comes out in 2 years it will give the MDX a run but right now the MDX is better.

I got the RX because the wife liked the drive better. The RX is much smoother overall and has a more comfy ride. The MDX is sportier.

Overall though, Lexus has better dealer service than Acura too, that's why we went with the RX.

Alex
Old 12-16-06, 07:22 PM
Mousse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You can still input info manually.
So you're saying there's a touchscreen and keypad? Can it be used while in motion?
Old 12-16-06, 07:33 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you're saying there's a touchscreen and keypad? Can it be used while in motion?

There isn't a touchscreen on the MDX but there is a joystick you use to input the information into the Navi.

Alex
Old 12-16-06, 09:40 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

You don't have to use voice commands ... but you're right it isn't "touch screen" anymore ... it still is nicer than the Lexus NAV though imho.
Old 12-16-06, 11:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I consider Acura's navigation to be one of the best, if not the best in the industry

Quick Reply: Anyone Consider 2007 Acura MDX?