RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Does the RX have a feature which turns the car off if you make too sharp a turn?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 02:16 PM
Mousse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the RX have a feature which turns the car off if you make too sharp a turn?

I heard that if you try to make an S turn/very sharp turn, the whole thing will shut off as in it powered down the whole car. I was told this by someone who had experienced it first hand but he didn't put a positive spin on it. Is this actually a safety feature or was this a glitch?
Old 12-17-06, 03:40 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mousse
I heard that if you try to make an S turn/very sharp turn, the whole thing will shut off as in it powered down the whole car. I was told this by someone who had experienced it first hand but he didn't put a positive spin on it. Is this actually a safety feature or was this a glitch?
I suspect you are talking about this:
In ESC systems, which evolved from anti-lock brakes, sensors monitor everything from steering-wheel position and tire speed to the centrifugal forces your vehicle undergoes while cornering. If the sensors detect that a driver is about to lose control, microprocessors automatically apply individual brakes and/or reduce engine power.
Read about ESC systems here:
http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/25/pf/a..._esc/index.htm
Old 12-17-06, 06:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

yea. No way the car shuts down. lol. that would be too dangerous.
Old 12-18-06, 02:34 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, all the electronic wizzerdry kicks in and keeps you safe. Very fun stuff in the snow
Old 12-18-06, 05:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mousse
We were talking about something similar over in the RX300 forum. Some of us have noticed that from a stop or on a turn that if the wheel is turned to far and then one tries to go forward (like using ramming the pedal to the floor) then there can be a delay before the acceleration occurs. We have mentioned anti-roll and transmission/ecu programming as possible culprits.
Old 12-18-06, 06:49 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys talking about the same thing the OP is talking about? Sounds like he is saying the engine shuts off as if you turned off the ignition. That isn't supposed to happen. Maybe it is a loose battery terminal?
Old 12-18-06, 07:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Are you guys talking about the same thing the OP is talking about? Sounds like he is saying the engine shuts off as if you turned off the ignition. That isn't supposed to happen. Maybe it is a loose battery terminal?
I wonder also if this could be related to the gas in the tank swishing around. Sometimes when I go really fast down hill and meet a short depression, and I fly a few inches off the road, I can feel an abrupt hesitation (when gas is swishing around). I could imagine on a sharp turn, something similar may happen.

I would also think that if the engine shuts off, that perhaps a CEL should come on, possibly related to an air/fuel situation if my example occurs, but in my case I have never had the issue occur, but have had hesitation. Salimshah was talking about this in the RX300 forum.
Old 12-18-06, 08:03 PM
salimshah

Received 1,049 Likes on 947 Posts

There may be more than one issue being discussed here with similar manifestations.

VSC [variable skid control] .... RX300 does not have it [at least not in the '99]. I am not aware of this otion in 330/350 models. This requires throttle by sensor (fly by wire) and objective is to have mechanism to throttle back (de-couple foot-gas_pedal with amount of fuel injected)

Engine shut down: Must be a problem and hard to think of it as feature.

Non-responsive: Could be transmission failing to kick down (usually would make sense if the RX was previously moving (3rd -> 2nd or 2nd -> 1st)

Adaptive learning: As I have been told that RX has this capability and that would explain undefined behaviour under new conditions [longer time in making the right choice]

Freaks and gremlins: Well like drivers, machines have them too.

Note: The hesitation I experienced has not been reproduced. Gremlins, I guess.

Salim