RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Michelin Energy MXV4 S8

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 04:40 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Michelin Energy MXV4 S8

i decided to start a new thread as to not change the subject on the vibration feeling.

so how are these michelins. Are they that much better than the eagles, since they are only 10 dollars cheaper. im concerned about how im going to get these tires too, because i dont see how buying them at tirerack will help me since im not a DIY kinda person. I wouldnt bring them to the dealer either, because thats just embarassing. Its like saying, "i dont like to buy tires from you, so i brought my own...now can you put them on for me"

do they sell them at costco? im concerned about the nitrogen though

Last edited by RXSF; 02-06-07 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-06-07, 07:36 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, sold at costco:

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product....ed=V&Width=235

i believe you can order tires (like from tirerack.com) and have them shipped to the dealer for install, although i think their mounting fee is about 50%-100% higher than a tire shop. in any case, they shouldn't have a problem w/ it, a lot of people buy things outside their parts department and have service install it. i get a lot of my OEM lexus stuff outside of the dealer and if i don't feel comfortable installing it myself, i just pay the hourly service labor at the dealer to do it.

i have never had any problems with nitrogen in our RX/GS/SC, but if it bothers you you can always empty and refill with regular air.
Old 02-06-07, 07:41 PM
RXSF

well its not so much that the nitrogen will be a problem. Its just that you cant fill it up at a local gas station, nor do i think our dealers carry it.
Old 02-07-07, 07:30 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually discount places like Tire Rack or Discount Tire that sell via internet or phone have a list of "dealers" in your area that you can take your tires to have mounted. Just ask them for their list or recommended installers for your area. Costco may come pretty close to Tire Rack or any others in price and they will fill with nitrogen and I believe they also offer free rotation and pressure adjustments as long as you own the tires.

As for nitrogen I would go ahead and request it. For one thing, nitrogen with it's larger "molecule" does not leak out nearly fast as regular air. While it is suggested you check your air pressure every month at a minimum and usually have to fill occasionally with nitrogen it will probably stay the same for several months or even longer. Also, those that install tires and use nitrogen will of course "refill" your tires to the desired pressure. If you bought them there they usually fill for free, if you didn't buy there they may charge some. Most of the "chain" type tire dealers such as Tires Plus, Les Schwab, Goodyear, Firestone now do nitrogen. Just your smaller local type dealers may not.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black interior with Black Birdseye Maple Trim, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Washers, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18" Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4's.
Old 02-07-07, 07:48 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought several sets of tires from Tire Rack and I take them to NTB for mounting and balancing. They don't care and they do a quick, professional job.

I have called the local Firestone dealer and they will do it too.

FYI.
Old 02-07-07, 08:13 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
I have bought several sets of tires from Tire Rack and I take them to NTB for mounting and balancing. They don't care and they do a quick, professional job.

I have called the local Firestone dealer and they will do it too.

FYI.
If you buy the tires online and have it install somewhere else, how much do they charge you for installing, mounting, and balancing?
Any suggestion where I can best deals on RX330 tires? I would also appreciate if you could please provide me with the options (brand/model) of RX330 tires I can replace.
Old 02-07-07, 08:28 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i have never had any problems with nitrogen in our RX/GS/SC, but if it bothers you you can always empty and refill with regular air.
Dumb question time: What's this about nitrogen?
Old 02-07-07, 11:44 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by jmaynard
Dumb question time: What's this about nitrogen?
some tire shops fill tires with nitrogen now, hence why you may find some tires capped w/ green valve stem caps (for those with plastic disposable end caps).

the benefits of nitrogen vs. regular is always debatable, although most seem to find nitrogen has more advantages than disadvantages. here is a link to some discussion about it that i just pulled off google real quick

http://www.familycar.com/Boards/view...a443d086605c24

i don't have any real preference, but i will say that i noticed a dramatic improvement in pressure retention in our GS when we got new tires at costco. granted it could have been our move from the stock Yoko Advans ($275/ea) to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ($250/ea), but the other diff was nitrogen, and instead of losing tire pressure on a weekly basis, we are barely losing any pressure at all anymore. (and no, we didn't have any leaks on the stock Yokos) just something to ponder i guess...
Old 02-07-07, 11:50 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by Dinomon
If you buy the tires online and have it install somewhere else, how much do they charge you for installing, mounting, and balancing?
Any suggestion where I can best deals on RX330 tires? I would also appreciate if you could please provide me with the options (brand/model) of RX330 tires I can replace.
the range is usually $15-$25 per tire, depending on the shop. you also have to pay the tire waste fee for the ones you are disposing. the dealer is probably 50-100% more.

i find that tirerack and costco are similarly priced for tires, although the benefit w/ costco is the installation is available and lifetime service. there are many brands you can go with; if you go to tirerack.com you can see all the compatibly sized tires and read all the reviews.

my personal favorite is the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 which is sold with most AWD RX's (i think). it is a good all around tire - we got 50k out of the original set. i never felt endangered in the rain, and we drove through a blizzard or two in the mtns with them and didn't have problems. they are comfortable and quiet also, which on a day to day basis is very important to me.
Old 02-07-07, 02:07 PM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover
my personal favorite is the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 which is sold with most AWD RX's (i think).
Mine has them. They seem fine, so far.

The last thing I had on the RX300 was a set of Yokohama Geolandar H/T, and I liked them: good wear, nice grip in lousy weather, and quiet.
Old 02-07-07, 04:21 PM
RXSF

Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 which is sold with most AWD RX's (i think).
my awd came with the goodyears and i dont think my dealer carries the michelins, but i will call today
Old 03-02-07, 01:50 PM
mobimba
Driver School Candidate

I just bought 4 MXV4S8's 18 inch tires from Sam's Club for $180.08 per tire. Order,m on line and have them shipped to your nearest Sam's Club. Took four days. They charged $11.50 a tire to mount. includes waranty,old tire disposal, fees and everything. $766.32 before Florida's 7.5% sales tax. I replaced the Eagles that came with the car with these.
Old 03-02-07, 03:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the nitrogen filled tires don't worry about it. If you can't refill with nitrogen just fill them with regular air. At that point it will negate the so called positive effects of nitrogen and just be as if you filled with air to begin with. No harm done.

If you buy from Tire Rack be sure the cost including the shipping, plus mounting and balancing fee from any local tire shop still comes out cheaper than if you bought it locally. For me, often I buy tires at Tire Rack and even with shipping to Hawaii (About $75 for 4 tires) it often comes out a little cheaper over all. Not always though so you do have to make some calculations. Other than that, I find places like Costco and Samsclub are hard to beat in over all prices if you have memberships there. Mostly because they tend to charge half the mounting and balancing price as other general tire shops in my area.
Old 03-02-07, 09:00 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

We are on our second set of Michelin's; I just don't like the tire. For the next replacement set, I am going with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r+H%2FL+Alenza

I will report back on how they work.
Old 03-03-07, 01:00 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

im probably going to change my tires to yokohama ADVAN ST's Z-rated soon. thought about some p-zero rosso's but treadwear is a bit low.

Quick Reply: Michelin Energy MXV4 S8