RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 - the center console question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 11:43 AM
lexusaggie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RX330 - the center console question

In our 2004 RX300, we have a comb stuck in the center console in front of the cupholders. It is preventing the top door from completely opening.

I dont think the comb is coming out unless we are able to lift up the center console. Does anyone know how to remove the center console or have any thoughts on how to remove the comb?

Worst case, I take it to the dealer.

thanks.
Old 05-29-07, 08:09 PM
TronChaser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Center Console

I just had mine out to clean up a smoothie that landed between it and the drivers seat. There are four bolts and 2 screws holding it down, and 2 electrical connectors.

1. On the the very forward outside edges you should find a screw with a plastic trim cap over it. I used a very small 1/8" screwdriver to pop the cap of, and then remove the phillips screw from each side.
2. Next carefully use your screwdriver to pop off the 2.5" x 5" cover just in front of the bottom draw. That will reveal to 10mm bolts.

3. Next I carefully used my little screwdriver to pop out the rear vent from the back of the center console. I slid it in about .5" from the top outside edges and carefully popped down. (When I put it back together it seemed like the teeth at the bottom were the hooks, and the top is permanent tabs.) Pull out the vent and you should be able to see 2 more 10mm bolts. The right one will probably have to be taken out by hand after you loosen it. I had to play with the vent to get it to go back right, It needs to slide into the vent tube.

4. Now you just have 2 power cables to remove, one for the ashtray/coin light, and one for the accessory plug. The first is on the bottom right as you gently lift the console from the back seat. The second is attached to the back of the cigarette lighter plug. While you have it out, If you press the tabs gently on the accessory plug you should be able to release the square that it's mounted in, that will make it easer to connect when you put it back together.

After you completely remove the console you will see there are six small phillips screws holding the top to the bottom. The first two screws are always hidden by the seats, and I didn't want to risk tearing up the leather trying to use an offset screwdriver.

Assembly is the reverse.

If you just have a comb stuck, you might be able to bend something like a butter knife to slide in and force the comb down without removing the whole thing.

Last edited by TronChaser; 05-29-07 at 08:14 PM.