RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I hit my RX while reversing, please HELP (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-07, 11:54 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hit my RX while reversing, please HELP (merged threads)

Today was a bad day. While backing up my RX330, I bumped into my parents Accord's mirror. There's a dent on my RX330 (back passenger side) and bit of paint also pealed out. I don't know what to do, as I am scared it’ll cost lot to get it fix. Should I take it to a Lexus dealership? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails I hit my RX while reversing, please HELP (merged threads)-img_0884.jpg  

Last edited by Dinomon; 03-19-07 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-19-07, 11:56 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Default I hit my RX while reversing, please HELP

Bad day. While backing up my RX330, I bumped into my parents Accord's mirror. There's a dent on my RX (back passenger side) and bit of paint also pealed out. I don't know what to do, as I am scared it’ll cost lot to get it fix. Should I take it to a Lexus dealership? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails I hit my RX while reversing, please HELP (merged threads)-img_0883.jpg  

Last edited by Dinomon; 03-19-07 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-19-07, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

See if either one of these two companies; Dentworks or Dent Wizard, operate in your area....they can even come to your home. They can take care of some minor dents and sheet-metal bending (depending on the location and extent of the damage), but if it needs a repaint, after they get done with it you'll need to take it to a paint shop.

http://www.dentworksusa.com/

http://www.dentwiz.com/
Old 03-19-07, 12:24 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Thanks. On the rear of passengers side, about 8 to 10" of sheet-metal bended and about 2 inches of paint came out. Gosh, I am so stressed out.
Old 03-19-07, 12:25 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Update: About 8 to 10" of sheet-metal bended and about 2 inches of paint pealed off.
Old 03-19-07, 02:10 PM
2004RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go find a good body shop
Old 03-19-07, 02:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a body shop and get is repaired.
Old 03-19-07, 04:13 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2004RX330
go find a good body shop
Does it have to be Lexus body shop?
Old 03-19-07, 05:01 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did your parent's car fair?
Old 03-19-07, 06:51 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

My parents car is old, so it's not a problem.
Can someone tell me how much it'll cost (roughly) looking at the Photo above.. And what's the best route to get it fixed for cheap. Thanks a bunch to everyone.
Old 03-19-07, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinomon
My parents car is old, so it's not a problem.
Can someone tell me how much it'll cost (roughly) looking at the Photo above.. And what's the best route to get it fixed for cheap. Thanks a bunch to everyone.
Well, as far as getting it done cheap, if it is too much for DentWizard or DentWorks ( ask them ), I can't speak for other insurance companies, but if you are with GEICO and have a relatively good record with them, they will sometimes cover the repair and, under their "forgiveness" policy for the first claim, not jack up your rates. All it will cost you is whatever your collision deductable is....or less. You own insurance company may or may not have a similiar program.
Old 03-19-07, 08:13 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

I will be paying for it from my pocket (I don't want to get my insurance involve), that's why I am scared about the cost.
Old 03-19-07, 08:44 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it depends how perfect you want it to be. this is not impossible for PDR (paintless dent removal) to push out the dent. BUT, the creased area where paint was chipped cannot be repaired w PDR. you would have to touch that up by hand.

but it's worth a look. PDR will cost less than $100 and it should pop that dent right out. we had a grapefruit-sized dent on our SC and PDR popped it back out.

the other scratches you have are hard to see, but if they are surface scratches you might be able to have those buffed out.
Old 03-19-07, 09:30 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Paintless Dent Repair in this particular case. I bet they can pop most of that dent out, but if you look at the rear the metal is creased and and the paint is cracked. You can also see there is now a larger gap between the 1/4 panel and tail light in one area. There is no way a PDR can repair all that, so if you want it perfect you have to take it to a real body repair shop, and it doesn't have to be a Lexus one. I would actually just get some word of mouth recomendations of a few good local shops and go there. For a body shop, they will pull that dent out similarly to how a PDR person would, then actually masage and fix the creased metal, and do a 1/4 panel repaint. If you went to a PDR, you still would have to take it to a body shop for the remaining work and paint, and it probably wont save you much if any money to have the body shop just do the whole thing.

On an extreme case, some shops might want to replace the entire rear 1/4 panel. Avoid this if possible as they will have to cut the 1/4 panel out and reweld in the new one. Might as well keep the factory welds if at all posible. I had damage worse than that on my 04 RX330 in which the insurance wanted to replace the 1/4 panel. My body shop guy pounded it all back out and you couldn't tell there was any repair. Even the new paint had the suttle Lexus orange peel to it since a smooth paint job would have been obvious.

I'm not a body shop expert or insurance adjuster, but I would estimate the repair to cost about $800-$1000. I wouldn't worry about aftermarket paint either. The Lexus paint is pretty soft and the aftermarket paint job done properly actually might turn out better and more durable.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-22-07 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-19-07, 09:48 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that looks like too big of a dent to be fixed by those paintless dent repair people. And there is still the issue of the paint being repaired. Im no expert but based on prior experience with getting minor things fixed Id say that will run you like $750-$1000 depending on how good of a body shop you go to.

Quick Reply: I hit my RX while reversing, please HELP (merged threads)