RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 License Plate Light Change To HID?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07 | 08:40 AM
biff44
Instructor

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Depending on where you live, the cops will pull you over for excessively dirty and unreadable plates or burnt out license plate lights. Might as well not give them any opportunity to pull you over and give you an actual ticket
They can not possibly give you a ticket for a stock license plate light that is not burned out. Why make it easy for them?

I can see you guys are not desperados!
Old 04-08-07 | 03:55 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Seadee456
I've tried toying around with it. One way or another, you're going to have to take the interior trim of the hatch off. If you have another way, please do share!
That is the only way, which I think is easy. I was thinking you had to somehow either remove the chrome garnishment or access the bulbs through the protective covers...

Still waiting for the bulbs.... Shipped out on Monday, hopefully the canoe that's bringing it from Cali to Maui doesn't get lost!
Old 04-09-07 | 01:48 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Okay boys & girls, it's done! Bulbs finally came in today (Polarg B1 Hybrids). Took all of 1 minute to install. Luv 'em!
Attached Thumbnails RX330 License Plate Light Change To HID?-rxplate.jpg  
Old 04-09-07 | 08:00 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Okay boys & girls, it's done! Bulbs finally came in today (Polarg B1 Hybrids). Took all of 1 minute to install. Luv 'em!
So, how about a quick DIY description of what you had to do to change them out and where you got the bulbs?
Gary
Old 04-09-07 | 03:16 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
So, how about a quick DIY description of what you had to do to change them out and where you got the bulbs?
Gary
1) Pull off the 2 panels from the inside of the tailgate (carpet piece, then the plastic piece). *Pull hard! Don't worry, nothing will break, even if it sounds like it did*

2) You'll see where the license plate light wires lead to. Turn the whole assembly counter-clockwise and the assembly should pop right out.

3) Pull the bulb straight out of the socket and insert the new ones!

Make sure all the pegs on the plastic piece are aligned when putting the panel back, if not the carpet piece won't fit snug. Long fingers are a plus!

I got the bulbs on ebay ($11 w/ shipping & insurance). Searched "168 white LED's". The bulbs I got aren't LED though. They look like the stock bulbs, but the glass is blue in color, but lights up white!
Old 04-09-07 | 09:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by biff44
They can not possibly give you a ticket for a stock license plate light that is not burned out. Why make it easy for them?

I can see you guys are not desperados!
My point was they can, will and have pulled people over for having license plates that are not easily legible or readable. Why not allow them to see it clearly at night just in case so they will never pull you over in the first place? Most cops I know will simply just pull you over if they want to read your plate and can't. Often they will follow you and run your plate on the move. If all checks out okay they leave you alone. If they can't read it easily, they will just stop you and get a better look. Might as well make it easy for them to read your plate so they don't have to stop you to read it. They may not do it where you are from, but I have heard of it and know people who were cited for illegible plates (Like really old and dirt ones) where they actually had to turn in the old plates to get new ones from the DMV.
Hecl, the police an even pull you over for have aftermarket rims if you don't have the county's recontruction permit.

By the way, what is a "Desperado"?

Last edited by CK6Speed; 04-09-07 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-09-07 | 11:04 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

My point was they can, will and have pulled people over for having license plates that are not easily legible or readable. Why not allow them to see it clearly at night just in case so they will never pull you over in the first place? Most cops I know will simply just pull you over if they want to read your plate and can't. Often they will follow you and run your plate on the move. If all checks out okay they leave you alone. If they can't read it easily, they will just stop you and get a better look. Might as well make it easy for them to read your plate so they don't have to stop you to read it. They may not do it where you are from, but I have heard of it and know people who were cited for illegible plates (Like really old and dirt ones) where they actually had to turn in the old plates to get new ones from the DMV.
Hecl, the police an even pull you over for have aftermarket rims if you don't have the county's recontruction permit.

By the way, what is a "Desperado"?

i always wondered in hawaii all the cars i noticed have a number somewhere on the back of the car what is that for? i heard of cops who bug if they cant read your plates also.
Old 04-09-07 | 11:58 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
i always wondered in hawaii all the cars i noticed have a number somewhere on the back of the car what is that for? i heard of cops who bug if they cant read your plates also.
The sticker number on the bumper is for the safety check (a once a year thing you need to have in order to have your registration). It cuts down on illegal window tint, tries and I stress tries, to make sure your vehicle is in working order (lights, etc). I can't tell you how many vehicle's brake lamps don't work.
Old 04-10-07 | 02:18 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AM1

Just as "Neversatisfied" said. Also, if you notice an extra sticker back there that has an R in it that is our Reconstruction permit, or "RECON" sticker. Technically in the Honolulu county of Hawaii, most any modification is not legal unless you have this recon permit and submit to an additional special inspection of the aftermarket parts or modifications. This includes rims over 1.5" diatmer larger than stock, lowering of the vehicle, aftermarket exhausts, and such. Anyway, it is not as bad as it seems, and most people just mod without getting recon, but the police can pull you over anytime they want if you do have a modified car with no recon. They do this very often in Waikiki. You get a ticket, and you either have to remove the questioned modifications, obtain a valid recon permit, or failure to comply can ultimatly lead to your car being impounded.
Old 04-10-07 | 02:19 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
I think it looks great. I'm going to do this for my LS as well.
Old 04-10-07 | 10:24 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

damn laws are strict in hawaii. do the cops still drive in unmarked cars?
Old 04-10-07 | 02:42 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
damn laws are strict in hawaii. do the cops still drive in unmarked cars?
Yes and no. There are undercover cops, but they are usually special detail. Right now that special detail is to catch drivers not stopping for pedestrians since we have had a lot of pedestrian accidents. Cops here can use their own private cars for duty though. It is not uncommon to see SUVs, and anything in between including Acura TL's, Camrys, and all sorts of regular cars. They do; however, have the blue light on top, so while they are unmarked, it isn't that hard to see them.
Old 04-10-07 | 08:16 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I think it looks great. I'm going to do this for my LS as well.
Mahalos! I love the look so much more than the halogens. Kinda makes me feel like I have a "newer" Lexus, but missing the AUX input, SmartAccess & push button ignition!
Old 04-10-07 | 10:31 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

should be two bulbs right? im going to order a pair and change them soon too. hey anyone know how many amps the stock alternator is?
Old 04-11-07 | 09:05 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
should be two bulbs right? im going to order a pair and change them soon too.
Yup!......

Quick Reply: RX330 License Plate Light Change To HID?