RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I have FACTORY Sirius on my RX..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 05:33 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "factory version" of the Sirius install for the 07 RX350 involves a standard SiriusConnect tuner and a unique cable harness very, very similar to the one used for XM. I think for a while the Sewell folks at lexus-parts.com were custom making this cable and providing the right Sirius tuner - This was the approach I was going to follow until the Vais SLS unit started shipping.

if the dealer does this for you then fantastic - even though Sirius is still not formally offered as an option (as it was when I bought in March 06 but then cancelled). The problem is if you want to do this factory approach AFTER taking delivery of your RX. The install for either the XM or Sirius units in the RX is --ugly--, takes 3-4 hours and lots of effort. In contrast, I installed the Vais SLS unit in about 25 minutes.

The main way to tell whether its this "factory" approach or the Vais unit is the # of characters on the SAT display. 10 characters and its the factory sat radio, 16 characters and its usually a VaisTech SLS or other OEM unit.

Regards,

--Scott
Old 03-28-07, 06:14 PM
rx300ny
Driver School Candidate

Default signal strength and question

Sorry if i was unclear... the signal strength is great both in and outside of Manhattan... we've taken lengthy trips up to obscure parts of upstate ny and also to Vermont, and with the exception of a few "hits" because of underpasses and/or towering trees in valleys that block reception, the signal strength seems perfect.

Only thing that still infuriates me is that with no cassette player or aux input, I-pod connectivity sucks... since I'm on a three year lease, don't want to pay for one of those complicated "integrated" units. Anybody have any suggestions/experience for hooking up a simple connectort o the aux input of the radio or the Sirius unit... I miss my ipod!!!

And the FM modulators pretty much stink in the RX... agreed?

ed
Old 03-28-07, 06:48 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rx300ny

And the FM modulators pretty much stink in the RX... agreed?

ed
When I had sirius I was using the S0 in my Jeep with a crane modgulator

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-tran...ansmitter.aspx

The Crane can be opened and tweeked for maxium output. I doubt if the Crane would be useful with the radio in the RX
Old 07-11-07, 07:20 PM
rx300ny
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up ipod/Sirius connectivity update

I posted this in another thread, but think this might be useful to this crew as well...

First off, like many of you, I was FURIOUS that on a 2007 vehicle with a sticker price of $43K, there is no direct ipod connection, when there is on a base model Camry!

I have a dealer-installed Sirius radio integrated into the head unit (non-NAV). It shows on "Sat 3" that there's an AUX... went back to the dealer and asked how much it would cost to hook me up that AUX. Didn't want to spend a fortune because it's leased. Could never get a straight answer from the dealer, so gave up. Tried the DLO transpod FM converter -- rated the best by CNET -- but it simply sounded bad... had to change channels every 15 minutes or so.

Finally called a few high-end stereo shops here in NYC. One guy said that I likely had an untapped AUX-in as part of my Sirius unit... and that the biggest cost would be labor, but certainly no more than $250.

So, they took the radio apart, and sure enough, there was an Eclipse Sirius tuner, interfaced through a Vaistech SounLinq unit... and there, on it, was a pair of RCA aux inputs. They did a beautiful of wiring a Aux jack that comes up through the the center console, and now there's about 12" of wire with a miniplug that goes right into my ipod. It sounds fabulous... better than the CD player, and it cost $240.-- two hours of labor and a couple of dollars of parts. So I'm still pissed off about the fact that I needed to do this, but VERY happy with the results.

I would recommend, if you have a dealer installed/integrated Sirius or XM, that you find a really good local car stereo shop and see what they can do for you...
Old 07-12-07, 01:06 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I bought an MP3 player 3 months after I made the other post and I have been using the crane for a few weeks with the RX radio, It works fine. The down side is there is no car adaptor, but batteries last a long time and I use rechargeables that I change every 3 days even if they still are charged

I found the link I used to tweak the Crane and boost the output

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t...er=asc&start=0

Last edited by silvervett; 07-12-07 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 05:21 AM
jmaynard
Driver

I've had XM since early December 2001. I won't have another car without it. I gladly paid for the Lexus XM tuner just so it'd be fully, and properly, integrated into the car, and there would be no finger-pointing in case of trouble.