RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I have FACTORY Sirius on my RX..

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 04:20 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Talking I have FACTORY Sirius on my RX..

Is this normal?
How did the dealer install it? I thought RX's come with XM?
I don't think it's aftermarket, since I can see the station name, etc. on the radio..
hmmm.... I got the car from Longo?
Old 03-20-07, 07:05 PM
Ken's_RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's probably the SLS unit from vaistech - it integrates exactly like the factory unit would.

One difference though is that you can use the SAT3 settings screen as an AUX input for your ipod or other audio device instead of the 6 presets.

-Ken
Old 03-20-07, 08:07 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

so where would they have installed the Module?
i figure I could connect my IPOD into it?
Old 03-20-07, 11:26 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much was it?
Old 03-21-07, 04:33 AM
Ken's_RX
Driver School Candidate

It's probably behind the radio. Just remove the panel on the passenger side footwell - it's held on by 2 plastic push pins - just prey them out with a flatblade screwdriver. You should see 2 boxes - 1 is the SLS with an available red & white rca input and the other is the sirius tuner plugged into it. Just plug your ipod into the open inputs and route the cable whereever you want it.

You can also check on the vaistech website and they should have directions and pictures - if that is the unit that you have...

-Ken
Old 03-21-07, 08:11 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

i got it for free.. seems like Longo puts sirius on all the cars they sell.. @ least when we bought it about a year ago..

Ken, I will check the Vaistech site.. but i think it's too good to be true for the me to have the module.. but i'll check!
Old 03-21-07, 04:02 PM
scpag
Driver School Candidate

If your vehicle was purchased from one of the Penske Automotive Group stores (which includes Longo Lexus), you do receive a complimentary Sirius Satellite Radio, along with a complimentary 9-month subscription on all eligible Sirius-capable vehicles, which includes the RX model.
Old 03-21-07, 09:23 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by scpag
If your vehicle was purchased from one of the Penske Automotive Group stores (which includes Longo Lexus), you do receive a complimentary Sirius Satellite Radio, along with a complimentary 9-month subscription on all eligible Sirius-capable vehicles, which includes the RX model.
yea. now i am trying to figure out how they installed the sirius radio. when it's not available from the factory
Old 03-22-07, 02:47 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
yea. now i am trying to figure out how they installed the sirius radio. when it's not available from the factory

Vaistech and other manufacturers do make OEM intergration kits that allow you to add Sat radio, i-Pods, DVD players and what not all controlled by the OEM deck. If not the Vaistech unit, Longo just used a different manufacturer intergration kit. That is the beauty of these integration kits. It will display all the information on the OEM display. That is also why they cost $500+ because there are a lot of programing and software needed as opposed to just a simple AUX input. The OEM headunit actually thinks it is an OEM accessory and recognizes it as such.
Old 03-27-07, 05:42 PM
borg1of2
Rookie

The initial year that Lexus offered SAT radio, they were partnered with Sirius, so it is possible that the dealership installed it during that time, or retained a bunch of service replacement units and continues to install Sirius. We are looking at a new Lexus and the fact that they are pushing XM instead of allowing the consumer to choose is very disappointing to me. And yes, two years from now there will likely be on SAT company so it won't matter.

My Thoughts.
Old 03-27-07, 07:35 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I have my doubts about sat radio surviving. Both XM and Sirius are about to go under and their only hope is to merge. If the government does not allow then to merge they both may got under. I bought a 3 month subscription Jan of 06 and I went through so many defective (more than 6) S 50 radios I lost track. I did enjoy the programing but I kept on loosing the signal every time I drove under trees or through a tunnel. I live near exit 57 of the LIE in Long Island NY, maybe other areas are better or maybe a different model radio would have worked better But I gave up on it. It really was a shame because I did like the programing, The old radio shows, the NRA shows and C-Span and political talk radio were my favorites. If the merger goes through I may try it again. I figure if they combine satellites and repeaters the coverage and reception may improve. Do you have reception problems in S Calf?
Old 03-27-07, 08:11 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sirius satellite radio...

i don't know about Sirius, i prefer XM because i have seen many sirius units that needed to be replaced when used with Lexus audio system. Spoke to a Lexus rep and he has seen the same concern with many Sirius set ups. Not really an issue with XM. Also like how the XM antenna is so much smaller than the sirius that sits right next to the rear view mirror, kind of hard not to miss that thing.
Old 03-28-07, 03:50 PM
rx300ny
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up I have a dealer-installed Sirius

I love it... installed at Lexus of Manhattan on my '07 RX (w/o NAV)... it's a unit built by Eclipse, and it works seemlessly on the SAT button on the OEM radio. Only drawback, it only gives you the first 8 or so characters of the readouts. Cycling through the "text" button gives you each of the three lines of a sirius readout.. the channel name, the song, and the artist. Sounds as good as a good FM station... reception has been fine in and around NYC.
Old 03-28-07, 04:22 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

ok.. i found the unit.. but it has no RCA hookup..
i rather
Old 03-28-07, 04:50 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rx300ny
I love it... installed at Lexus of Manhattan on my '07 RX (w/o NAV)... it's a unit built by Eclipse, and it works seemlessly on the SAT button on the OEM radio. Only drawback, it only gives you the first 8 or so characters of the readouts. Cycling through the "text" button gives you each of the three lines of a sirius readout.. the channel name, the song, and the artist. Sounds as good as a good FM station... reception has been fine in and around NYC.
I pretty much expected the reception to be good in NYC because they probably have a lot of repeaters but out about 40 to 50 miles east of NYC where I live repeaters are non-existant. If the two XM & Sirius merge it might mean more repeaters anda stronger signal. I may try it again if the have more durable radios. I have heard the XM radios hold up better.

Quick Reply: I have FACTORY Sirius on my RX..