RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Ongoing RX Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07 | 10:15 AM
nymav
Driver School Candidate

Default Ongoing RX Issues

Firstly, Hello to all.

I've spent the better part of the last 3 days reading just every post in the forums. It's seems like a nice community here and I am hoping you all can provide a bit of guidance. I'm not sure I have a particular question here. But I do have an appt to bring the car in this wknd and I guess I'm wondering if I have cause to make a stink to get some sort of replacement vehicle. Any thoughts would be great.

I have an 05 RX 330. Got it brand new in Jan 05. I've had many small issues pretty much since the day I got it. It seems like every month there is a new surprise and frankly, I'm getting tired of it.

Among them (in no particular order):
- the rear lights had to be replaced cause of a bad seal that was letting in condensation
- headlight housing had to be replaced due to condensation
- the drivers side mirror had to be replaced cause it wouldn't tilt downward when I go in reverse, bad motor
- I got a ticket for no brake lights. The led's were barely visible and had to be fixed
- the car had to be detailed shortly after I picked it up cause they gave it to me with scratches on it
- the radio had to be replaced for same reason
- Roof Moldings continually fall off at car wash. Had them replaced once already. I can't go thru a carwash without having to go back and retrieve them.
- Rear Window Wiper doesn't clean well - leaves streaks. At one point it seemed like the wiper arm was hanging low and it had to be worked on
- Seatbelts don't retract every time - Front passenger side
- hairline scratch going vertically down the driver door window that's been there since I got the car

and the two most important ones:
- The ABS, VSC and tire pressure lights come on at random. They come on together. I've checked the tires. I understand how the TPM system works. All the tires are at 35psi (the dealer fills them up that way). I've had this looked at twice already and they can't tell me what's going on. One one occasion they told me that the system needed to be reset, no result. On another occasion they told me that the vehicle had some sort of unresolved code, no result. My concern here is that I do not know if any safety systems are being disabled when these lights come on. I asked the dealer and he said that yes, the abs and vsc are disabled when the warning lights are on.

- The steering gets loose at speed. It's hard to describe but I recently took a trip from Long Island NY to Syracuse during snow conditions. Contrary to what I've read on the forum this car felt like it was one step away from spinning me out the entire way. My driving hand gets numb after about 30 minutes of highway driving as well.
Old 03-23-07 | 12:05 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I don't understand how your hand can be a issue with the car, it sounds like something to talk to your doctor about.

As far as scratches go it could be a problem with the car wash. I had a car scratched by a car wash and stopped going until they came out with the brush less no-touch car wash. I still wound up getting my car scratched and have vowed to never use a car was again. I prefer to let my car stay dirty until I can wash it at home by hand with a clean sponge and chamois. Some of the other issues you mention seem as if the dealer is screwing up. I would either switch dealers for service or make an appointment with a Lexus zone manager to meet you at the dealer to get things straightened out. I expect to have problems with any car I buy because anything made by man will not be perfect. But when a problem is discovered I expect it to be fixed correctly by the dealer without the need for return trips. The lemon law gives the dealer 3 chances to fix a car right. If they don't you can return the car. Some of the stuff you mentioned is minor BS but other stuff involves serious safety issues. I would keep accurate records of each visit in case you need to go to court. I would also let the dealer know he better get it right or you will seek recourse under the lemon law.
Old 03-23-07 | 12:27 PM
nymav
Driver School Candidate

thx for the reply.

for the most part, yes, these are minor BS issues. It's not the particulars of the issues that concern me so much as the fact there always seems to be "an issue". small as it may be. I'm not expecting perfection. I'm just expecting not to be on a first name basis with my consultant as a result of me practically living there. I had a 2001 rx300 and other then routine oil changes, The only time it saw the dealership was after 4 yrs to trade it in. but the new one amazes me in how needy it is.

Would someone be able to confirm whether or not the ABS and VSC systems are in fact not working when the warning lights are lit?
Old 03-23-07 | 12:52 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I agree with you 100% Stuff happens and mistakes are made, but I am willing to overlook that. What I can never overlook is a dealer that can't get the job done right the first time. Some dealers are better than others. I took a car in for an oil change and they found and fixed a problem I wasn't even aware of. They did it at no charge under warrantee. Wouldn't it be great if we had more dealers like that.

PS anything to do with a seat belt is not a minor problem. In my opinion the car should have a new seat belt put in and if he doesn't have one you should get a free loner car. Some people may think a belt that doesn't retract isn't a big deal but maybe it could be a sign that there is something wrong that is more serious.

I don't know the answer about the lights but if it came on I would assume the ABS and VSC is not working.

Where are you from. My house in Long Island is in Hauppauge. I am flying out to Texas next week to Drive my RX400H back from Montgomery Texas.

Last edited by silvervett; 03-23-07 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-23-07 | 12:56 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by nymav
...Would someone be able to confirm whether or not the ABS and VSC systems are in fact not working when the warning lights are lit?
I can't confirm this but I believe that the dealer was correct when he said they were non-functional when the indicator is lit. I'd suggest to the dealer that this is the second time you are asking him to correct this issue. That you believe it to be a safety issue, could lead to a serious accident and if it is not corrected you feel inclined to contact the NHTSA to see if others are having this issue.

Bring the list of defects and their status to the dealer in letter form and mail a copy to the regional manager asking him to intercede in your behalf as the dealer seems unable to resolve the problem(s). Do it in writing so that you have an audit trail.

Be sure that everything you find fault with is noted in the estimate form and ask that your service manager also sign the form.

Don't get heated or snotty. Remain cool but forceful and demand that this problem(s) be corrected this time. After all, this is not a Chevy or a Ford. It is a Lexus and they are a Lexus dealer. You hold them to a higher standard and rightfully so. Happy owners are repeat buyers. It is in their interest to correct this issue and make you a repeat buyer.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-07 | 01:19 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I agree with jfelbab make sure you emphasize this is a safety issue. Also could you let me know if your dealer is near Hauppauge. I leased my car from a dealer near Hauppauge and I haven't brought the car in for any problems yet. My dealer seems pretty good but since I haven't been back I was wondering what to expect.
Old 03-23-07 | 01:43 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

I too own an '05 330 purchased new in January 2005. I will agree that the rear wiper is a POS and barely does the job. There was a TSB on this but it does not apply to our 05 330s. I took it back to the dealer for this but they were unable to do anything for me. I have had a couple of issues with seat belts not fully retracting but I tend to guide it a little and then it retracts normall. Also had one headlight replaced for condensation but that has been it.

Can't imagine what the car has to do with your hand going numb except your driving position.
Old 03-23-07 | 06:03 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

that seat belt is a problem i had with my old rx and sometimes happens in my 330. the driver side mirror is supposed to tilt down when you back up? mine doesnt do that
Old 03-23-07 | 06:23 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AM1
the driver side mirror is supposed to tilt down when you back up? mine doesnt do that
Check the position of the switch just above your mirror adjustments to select the left or right mirror. Is probably in the center. Move to one side or the other and the mirrors should tilt when in reverse.
Old 03-23-07 | 06:48 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Check the position of the switch just above your mirror adjustments to select the left or right mirror. Is probably in the center. Move to one side or the other and the mirrors should tilt when in reverse.
I got POed about that also. I couldn't get my mirrors to work when I was in Texas, Then when I got back to NY I found time to read the owners book and discovered it was because the switch was in the center position. Now the car is in Texas and am in NY with no way to try out the switch.
Old 03-23-07 | 10:38 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

ill try that.
Old 03-24-07 | 07:49 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
It is my understanding that, not only do you need to have the switch out of the center position, but you must personally adjust the mirrors when you are in reverse. Then, the next time you are in R, the mirrors will tilt down to your selected position.

Gary
Old 03-24-07 | 08:51 AM
nymav
Driver School Candidate

to jfelbab, Thx for the great advice. I have an appt tomorrow (saturday). I'm bringing it in on the loose steering issue and will address the rest when I get there. I'll post an update afterwards.

to Silvervett, I got the truck at Lexus of Massapequa but that's a bit far for me to drive since I'm in Lynbrook. I have it serviced at Lexus of RVC
Old 03-24-07 | 04:21 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
It is my understanding that, not only do you need to have the switch out of the center position, but you must personally adjust the mirrors when you are in reverse. Then, the next time you are in R, the mirrors will tilt down to your selected position.

Gary
I'm not sure about that. I never had to adjust anything prior to my side mirrors tilting down. Obviously when I bought the car brand new the dealer may have done all that for me, but since then I have removed the battery and had to reset the memory settings many times and the mirrors still tilt down as they should. Unless the default tilt down is all the way down (Which mine does) and if you want it to tilt down anything in between you can save a memory setting?
Old 03-24-07 | 05:52 PM
wishihad1
Rookie

where to start?
1)as far as condensation, sorry poor sealing, there is no modified parts, just have them warranty them.
2)roof drip moldings, new modified ones just came out. ask for the new ones with adhesive tape, not old stock.
3) rear wiper, you need to you lots of fluid to clean off dirt. was there ever any damage to the rear tailgate or window?
4) seat belt- does it retract slowly, or not at all.
5) tire pressure light- any wheel bearing noise? mismatched tires(manufactured in different countries, same brand and model).
6)how often does your abs/vsc light come on, does the speddo work when the light comes on?
7)the mirrors will only tilt down a preset amount, no special setting required. try tilting them down, then put the car in reverse(you will hear the mirror bottom out)

Quick Reply: Ongoing RX Issues