RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Aftermarket Nav & Camera system

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 09:27 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Nav & Camera system

My wife just drove in our son's car with add-on Garmin Nav system and now she wants one. Do any of you have photos of your aftermarket add on for either the back-up camera or the Nav System? I am very competent with tools and have no issues with this as a DIY job. I just want to see what the finished product looks like. Secondly, for those with either add on, did it invalidate your warranty? Love to see photos of during and after installation.

Gary
'05 330
Old 03-26-07, 11:59 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea about the answer to your question, but I do know that there was a court decision that stated that a warranty can not be voided if the car has been modified and the part does not effect the part under warranty. In other words if you change the radio and the engine goes bad you are still covered but if you add some kind of after market air cleaner and problems with the engine occur they can void your warranty, but only if they can prove the problem is directly related to the air cleaner. If your engines oil pump fails they would have a hard time voiding the warranty because it will be hard to connect the oil pump to the air filter.

I hope that explains your warranty question.
Old 03-26-07, 12:41 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

I certainly understood the basics of the warranty issue before I posted. I also knew that Toyota/Lexus seem to be sticklers for detail and documentation. For instance, I do all of my own and lubricant changes and, if I can't show them receipts, then there is some question as to whether or not my car's engine is warranted. BS if you ask me.

The gist of the question I originally asked was, could an aftermarket system be added without affecting any part of the warranty. I don't cut and splice or modify my cars in any way. However, I am hoping someone has a fully compatible aftermarket Nav/camera system that is "bolt on".
Old 03-27-07, 02:26 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you are talking about those window or dash mounted Garmin type navigation units than sure it can be added without voiding any part of the warranty. You wont have the ability to add a reverse camera to those types of systems though.

Now, if you add one of those double DIN or flip out if you prefer, aftermarket radio/navigation headunits, you will have the ability to add a reverse camera since most if not all of them have dedicated reverse camera inputs, but you will void your audio system warranty since you will be replacing the stock one with the aftermarket one.

I as well as many have added aftermarket video systems that are capable of adding navigation and a reverse camera. I had no trouble with any warranty I needed done like my condensation headlights. In fact, some of the dealer techs actually complimented my wife on the install
Old 03-27-07, 03:55 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Great info. What type of unit did you install? Did you have the Nav screen before you did this? Any and all information is appreciated.

My car does not have the Nav screen so I will be doing a fairly big change-over.
Gary
Old 03-27-07, 04:08 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Great info. What type of unit did you install? Did you have the Nav screen before you did this? Any and all information is appreciated.

My car does not have the Nav screen so I will be doing a fairly big change-over.
Gary
No I did not have the nav screen. What most of us have done is buy the Japan market Harrier dash kit. This dash kit is an OEM piece that has the outer shape of the odd shaped radio in the RX, only it has the cut out for a standard DIN or Double DIN aftermarket radio. (Good to have options in Japan ) Once you get a hold of that dashkit, you can install any aftermarket LCD/Navigation headunit you want just like in any other car.

Personally, I went with an Alpine DIN flip out monitor and installed an Alpine 5.1 channel proccessor right under it for a 2DIN stacked combo. Others simply used a 2DIN deck. Whichever brand headunit you choose you obviously use that manufacturers navigation. Some are built in, some require extra nav hardware. As you can see from the pics below, we all used the Harrier dash kit. I believe you can now get them at Carson Toyota which is a sponsor of this site. www.l-tunedparts.com It is not listed in the RX section, but give them a call or email.

This was my set up.

This is another owners set up.