RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Strange Lockpick3 behavior in 07 RX350 with 5.1 Nav...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 03:12 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Lockpick3 behavior in 07 RX350 with 5.1 Nav...

I just finished installing 2 of the 3 harnesses in my 07 RX350 that I received when I ordered the $299 ultimate Lockpick3 (UL3) from Coastaletech. Since I don't have RSES but do have Vaistech SLI and SLS I didn't install the video/audio input harness (I think that cost me $70 extra...should get that back...but I digress).

Even though I still have the 5.1 nav DVD and can do the manual override for address input, I went ahead and installed the "basic lockpick" nav bypass harness to the DVD player AND the harness behind the Nav display to allow for full Bluetooth and MP3 folder list management. My tests have revealed the following:

1) The UL3 Nav bypass harness doesn't work nearly as well as just using the standard 5.1 override commands. Yes, you can get to enter POI information while moving faster by touching the pushpin in the upper left corner of the DEST window, but the way they handle the cutoff of the VSS makes the GPS act goofy once the destination has been set. Also, unlike the override you have to keep hitting the pushpin each time you want to do a destination. At this point I think I will take out this harness and keep using the 5.1 override...and even if I get the 6.1 DVD update will probably use Sonartech's blended DVD-R DL build instructions to keep that working.

2) The harness behind the Nav that gives me full Bluetooth and MP3 folder management is very cool - even though I kinda wish I would have just pushed out pin20 on the harness and tried it that way. I do get one VERY wierd behavior. While driving, when I go to use an MP3 data disc (or my Vais ipod adapter in MP3 emulation) the folder list button is dimmed. However, if I go to Info-Telephone first and hit the "back" button to get the full keypad...and THEN go back to the Audio button...I get full folder list access. As soon as I do anything else (e.g. go to MAP button) and then go back to Audio...the folder list button is dimmed again. Getting to the BT keypad and then back to Audio reenables it. Anybody else with the LP3 have this happen?

I guess what I am wondering is the following....is the LP3 really worth it in the end if (a) you have either the 5.1 DVD or a 5.1/6.1 hybrid and can use the built-in override for POI and address input, and (b) you simply remove pin20 from the M5 connector behind the nav screen to disconnect VSS and get BT and MP3 folders?

Does anybody here with 5.1 and the VSS wire either cut or removed see the same screen behavior as I do with the LP3?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

--Scott
Old 03-28-07, 05:25 AM
Ken's_RX
Driver School Candidate

I have tried the LP3-Basic in my 07 RX350 with 6.1 map s/w.

The "I Agree" still has to be pressed each time the car is started. The LP3 was supposed to eliminate this. Does yours override this??

The destination override does work somewhat. When I press the pushpin it will allow input but the buttons and screen dim out then light up to allow input then dim out not allowing input every few seconds.

-Ken
Old 03-28-07, 05:48 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ken's_RX
I have tried the LP3-Basic in my 07 RX350 with 6.1 map s/w.

The "I Agree" still has to be pressed each time the car is started. The LP3 was supposed to eliminate this. Does yours override this??

The destination override does work somewhat. When I press the pushpin it will allow input but the buttons and screen dim out then light up to allow input then dim out not allowing input every few seconds.

-Ken
Ken,

There is a single sentence on the Basic Lockpick instruction sheet I noted when I was installing that part of the (3) cables that came in my ultimate lockpick set. It states in blue:

"If you have purchased the Ultimate Lockpick3+, the 'I Agree' message will not be removed until you complete the installation of all other components"

From where I sit that doesn't make sense since the Basic Lockpick harness and the Nav screen harness are completely separate. I can confirm this behavior however. I did a drive test after only doing the BL3 harness and the I agree stayed up. But after doing the harness behind the nav screen the I agree goes out after about 1-2 seconds.

It really does seem that the "I Agree" removal is NOT supported by the Basic Lockpick unless for some strange reason the harness differs when sold as part of the (3) harness set that comes with the Ultimate lockpick. I doubt it however.....

BTW....I get that dim/undim behavior with the nav override input as well...and I am running 5.1 DVD. That NEVER happens when I do the factory override using the screen press sequence inside the volume submenu.

I am at the point of trying the pin20 removal from the M5 connector and seeing if that corrects my Bluetooth and MP3 folder list problems better than the Lockpick. If it does I might give up on the Lockpick and return it. That's my project this weekend...

--Scott
Old 03-29-07, 05:44 AM
Ken's_RX
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I saw that too, but, since I only got the one cable (and it was sent to me 2x) I figured it may be a different device.

Of the 2nd 2 cables that connect to the rear of the radio, do they both do something involved with a/v? Could the cable for the 'I Agree' fix be a 2nd cable that should be included with the Basic LP?

I'd hate to have to spend another $129. just to get rid of the 'I Agree' that should have been eliminated with the parts that I have...

-Ken
Old 03-29-07, 08:04 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Yeah, I saw that too, but, since I only got the one cable (and it was sent to me 2x) I figured it may be a different device.

Of the 2nd 2 cables that connect to the rear of the radio, do they both do something involved with a/v? Could the cable for the 'I Agree' fix be a 2nd cable that should be included with the Basic LP?

I'd hate to have to spend another $129. just to get rid of the 'I Agree' that should have been eliminated with the parts that I have...

-Ken
Ken,

The (3) cables in the ultimate lockpick3 I received were:

1) The basic lockpick harness for the back of the DVD (like you have)
2) Y cable harness for M5 connector behind Nav screen
3) audio and video input cable harness for connectors behind radio assembly and nav screen

I installed #1 and #2. I didn't even try #3. As I said the 'I agree" bypass worked immediately after I installed #2. I am guessing your BL3 and my harness #1 are exactly the same. I would pose this question to CoastalEtech since they clearly say that 'I agree' bypass is supported in the BL3.

I just realized my idea of getting out of using the UL3 might still give me nav bypass, bluetooth, and MP3 folders...but I would lose that 'I agree' feature. I'll leave that in for now....

--Scott
Old 03-29-07, 11:52 AM
Ken's_RX
Driver School Candidate

Scott,

Were there any electronics associated with cable #2 or is it just a Y-adapter to allow something to plug into it?

I've been trying to contact coastal but no answer on their phones and their phone mailbox is full.

I'll let you know how I make out - I'm hoping it's just a missing cable #2 like you have.....

-Ken
Old 03-29-07, 04:15 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Scott,

Were there any electronics associated with cable #2 or is it just a Y-adapter to allow something to plug into it?

I've been trying to contact coastal but no answer on their phones and their phone mailbox is full.

I'll let you know how I make out - I'm hoping it's just a missing cable #2 like you have.....

-Ken
Ken,

Cable #2 behind the nav screen looks very similar to the DVD nav bypass harness...just the different bigger connector. It has some electronics wrapped in black heat shrink between the (2) connectors.

--Scott
Old 05-31-07, 12:05 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm drudging up an old thread - sorry about that. The magic of the 'search' tool.

I appreciate the feedback on this. While I'd really like to pull the trigger, the whole thing just smells like it's half-baked. Reading other threads leads me to the same conclusion. I really want my new vehicle to be gremlin-free so while I'd love to remove the legal eagle screen and unlock BT functionality I'm leaning toward walking away from this one.
Old 05-31-07, 12:55 PM
jmaynard
Driver

I just installed the Basic Lockpick 3 in my 2007 RX350 with 6.1 Nav. The first time, the lawyerbane ("I agree") screen didn't go away on its own. I turned the car off, then back on, and it went away just fine. Destination input while moving works well as well.

The Basic Lockpick 3 doesn't enable Bluetooth phone input while driving, but that doesn't bother me; if it did, I'd have pushed out pin 20 long before now. I mainly wanted to get rid of the lawyerbane and allow destination input in motion, and that's what I got. Recommended, as long as you know what you're getting.

I can't speak to the Lockpick 3+; I didn't need external video or audio input, so I didn't get it.
Old 06-01-07, 11:54 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I definitely appreciate the feedback. Would you mind following up with an update after a few weeks of living with this one?