RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

15k Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 12:10 PM
Ishwar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15k Service Question

Hi, new user here..
Anyways, I have a 2006 RX330 (2WD) and it's at around 16k miles. The maintenance light came on recently, so I've gotta get this 15k service done. I asked the dealer about it, they said they change the oil, rotate the tires, and replace all these filters (the guy named several). He said it takes a day, so they give me a loaner, and it's $470. I also called a mechanic who works on Lexus cars and asked about a 15k service on my car. He said it was minor, takes an hour or two, and he charges $86. Is it too good to be true? What would I be missing out on? He says he does everything the dealer does. I'm too confused. Is there any advantage in taking it to the dealer (besides the complimentary wash)? Oh, as I mentioned, the mechanic said it was a minor service, the Lexus dealer called it an intermediate. Anyways, all input would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-06-07, 01:53 PM
steiner
Driver

Originally Posted by Ishwar
Hi, new user here..
Anyways, I have a 2006 RX330 (2WD) and it's at around 16k miles. The maintenance light came on recently, so I've gotta get this 15k service done. I asked the dealer about it, they said they change the oil, rotate the tires, and replace all these filters (the guy named several). He said it takes a day, so they give me a loaner, and it's $470. I also called a mechanic who works on Lexus cars and asked about a 15k service on my car. He said it was minor, takes an hour or two, and he charges $86. Is it too good to be true? What would I be missing out on? He says he does everything the dealer does. I'm too confused. Is there any advantage in taking it to the dealer (besides the complimentary wash)? Oh, as I mentioned, the mechanic said it was a minor service, the Lexus dealer called it an intermediate. Anyways, all input would be appreciated. Thanks

It is $70.00 parts & labor for the service and $400.00 carwash.

I suspect your mechanic would do most if not all everything the dealership does. But most $50K vehicle owners would not feel comfortable doing that, myself probably included. Very Strange.
Old 04-06-07, 05:02 PM
BBHanks
Rookie

Go to a Toyota dealer and see what he charges..After all it is the flagship of Toyota..Bill
Old 04-06-07, 07:13 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Major/intermidiate/minor are all non-explicit terms.

You have to ask the Lexus dealership exactly what line by line item they will perform. Dont forget to ask what is the manufacturer reccomeded items and wiich are extra.

It is your right to get labor and parts (including oil) estimates be given to you before you authorize work.

Nothing wrong with going to an independendant or Toyota garage [just keep the documentation in case of warranty issues down the road]. Save your self the drive by calling Toota before hand, as some dealerships are refusing to work on Lexus.

If you take your RX to Toyota, remeber never to claim that you drive Lexus and not Toyota.

Salim
Old 04-07-07, 04:59 PM
BBHanks
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Major/intermidiate/minor are all non-explicit terms.

You have to ask the Lexus dealership exactly what line by line item they will perform. Dont forget to ask what is the manufacturer reccomeded items and wiich are extra.

It is your right to get labor and parts (including oil) estimates be given to you before you authorize work.

Nothing wrong with going to an independendant or Toyota garage [just keep the documentation in case of warranty issues down the road]. Save your self the drive by calling Toota before hand, as some dealerships are refusing to work on Lexus.

If you take your RX to Toyota, remeber never to claim that you drive Lexus and not Toyota.

Salim
Why would Toyota refuse to work on another Toyota..
Old 04-07-07, 05:57 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BBHanks
Why would Toyota refuse to work on another Toyota..
I can think of a few rational reasons, but I don't know/think that these are the real reasons:
- They might accidently break a part during service and not have the Lexus part in stock
- If they damage the car, it might be more expensive to repair than a Toyota
- In a lawsuit, they would be forced to admit that their mechanics were not trained on Lexus models
Old 04-07-07, 07:19 PM
BBHanks
Rookie

Originally Posted by bob2200
I can think of a few rational reasons, but I don't know/think that these are the real reasons:
- They might accidently break a part during service and not have the Lexus part in stock
- If they damage the car, it might be more expensive to repair than a Toyota
- In a lawsuit, they would be forced to admit that their mechanics were not trained on Lexus models
I'm sure that a lot of the parts are interchangable,bondo doesn't care what metal it sticks to and a good lawyer could look inside the drivers door and read the Manufacture's sticker that saz Toyota motor co..
Old 04-07-07, 08:03 PM
wishihad1
Rookie

the man reason they would not work on a lexus is a unspoken respect, you don't take my customers and i will not take yours. As well why start a lexus dealership only to be undercut by , and take this with a grain of salt, inferior product line.
Old 04-08-07, 06:57 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

My local Toyota dealer welcomes routine maintenance work for Lexus but does not do warranty repair work. It may be because he owns both of the dealerships, Toyota and Lexus in my area. None-the-less, maintenance service costs at the Toyota dealer are about half of what the Lexus costs are.

I guess the fact that Lexus dealership gives me a loaner and porters my Lexus account for the difference.
Old 04-08-07, 08:27 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That 13K service seems a bit high, but there may be a reason. I haven't had experience with those charges because my dealer provides "free" service for the first 35K miles. (free . . . yeah, right ) There are a number of inspections done at this interval that are needed to preserve your warranty, as well as the usual fluid and filter changes.

Warranty work is always a touchy bit of paperwork for a dealer - none really want to stand behind the work of another. Of course if the Lexus you purchased in California breaks down in Iowa, the local Lexus shop HAS to do the work (they will bill Lexus for the work anyway). However dragging your wounded Lexus to the local Toyota dealer may not get you much of a welcome. They may have a fight on their hands wringing money out of the luxury division.

While Lexus and Toyota are both owned by TMC, they support somewhat if not altogether different product lines, each with its own parts inventory and service training requirements. We've seen this question before on CL - "Why won't Toyota work on my Lexus (for a lot less money)?" It probably comes down to a question of warranties - who will pay for what, whether Lexus will support work done by a Toyota dealer whose service people haven' been certified by them.

As far as the cost of service goes, if you factor in a couple of $50 lattes, and maybe a $30 biscotti, and a $150 loaner car, that car wash comes down to less than $120!
Old 04-08-07, 01:56 PM
BBHanks
Rookie

I don't understand why they have to charge $470 for an oil and filter change on the 15k maintance. The only other things that they do is clean the a/c filter and top off the fluids,take a look at the balljoints and boots to see it any leaks or tears to the boots compared to the 5k and 10k maintance.Must be the high overhead of owning a Lexus dealership.. For that price I'll do it myself for $70 and pocket the $400..Being retired that's all I have to do except play golf..
Old 04-08-07, 03:38 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not ask the indy and lexus mechanics for a written list of what they do. I have a hard time with the Lexus prices for most things. I guess that is why I do everything so far.
Gary
'05 330
Old 04-09-07, 06:58 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Agreed- It Is A Total Rip

If you will review your service manual for the details that are/need to be performed at different intervals you can see that for most serives it is just an oil change. Now, I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance but this is simply how Lexus makes significantly more money on their vehicles.

One point of interest in this list of items to perform is to torque the differential flange or something like that but read closely, it says if necessary. Well can someone tell me how you would know if a bolt needs torqued unless you actually torqued it. Just a passing comment.

On my wife's last service I talked to the service rep and told him what we were coming in for and that I only wanted an oil change/tire rotation and a couple warranty items checked. I sent with her a list of each item which specifically stated no scheduled maintenance- only and oil change/tire rotation. Well guess what I got a bill for $180 for a 10,000 mile check up. Infuriated I called him and he said well based upon your list that is what was required plus we test drove it. Well they had to drive it to check a warranty issue with the rotors which seemed to be warped or something. Anyway, bottom line was he credited me down to $70 or something like that so that we were just charged for the oil change and rotation. I didn't appreciate having to haggle over this issue. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

SO- for you new Lexus owners do not assume that "Lexus" is looking out for you. You can spend a couple thousand during the warranty period just having oil changes done if you don't watch out.
Old 04-09-07, 07:58 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Here is another option. Ask your dealer if he will honor other Lexus dealership coupons. Mine does. Lexus of Woodfield sends out a monthly newsletter and attaches coupons for service that are usually quite competitive. I just print them out and bring them along. Currently $37.95 for an oil and filter change.

http://www.woodfield-lexus.com/en_US/

Click on the Newsletter Specials then on the "Click Here for SERVICE COUPONS" button for a list of the current monthly coupons. Print them out and take them with you to your dealer and see what they do.

Their Newsletter is usually quite informative as well.
Old 04-10-07, 01:47 PM
borg1of2
Rookie

Default Service Fees

I agree Lexus charges high amounts for their service. Here is what I did with my most recent 30K service.

1. I had a coupon for Oil and Oil Filter change for $19.95. It was expired, but they honor'd it. That took a chunk off of the charge.
2. I have tire warranty with Firestone, so I told them to not do the rotate and balance. They took about $70 for not doing that.
3. There may be some others depending on the service you are doing. I.E. you can get some of the air filters and do those yourself as well to reduce their costs.

Finally, one thing to consider when going to an independant. Not all know how to re-set the computer for the Service Warning light. It will go off, but come on again. I found that out when I did 15K at an independant and ended up asking a dealership to quickly do it for me one Saturday.

When I've done research, it usually came out to be about $100 difference, so I would call it a $100 car wash. Which is why I did the 30 K at the dealership as I reduced the costs by enough to have them be cheaper then a local garage. The $400 difference would be much harder to beat. Like other said, get the specific list and compare each item to what the mechanic is going to do.

Happy Repairs

Quick Reply: 15k Service Question