RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Aftermarket Amp & Speakers....stock HU

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 02:29 PM
GFarra31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Amp & Speakers....stock HU

Hi,

I did as much searching as I could to find info on this topic, but I wasn't able to fully answer my ??'s....so here goes:

I have an '07 RX350 and I want to retain the stock HU (Non-ML) but add an amplifier and upgrade all the speakers. I read a thread that indicates there is a small factory amp located in the floor behind the rear seats....is this correct....I had a hard time locating it in mine.

If its there I'm assuming all the wiring I need is there as well and can simply use line level converters to hook up the inputs. Ideally I'd prefer to use the factory wiring to send the signals to the speakers which would save me the hassle of running wires.

Its a lease so I'm only looking to improve the sound without alot of effort.

Is there a source for wiring diagrams, speaker sizes, etc??

Has anyone on this board done the same? Can you share your experiences?

Thank you

George
Old 04-13-07, 03:27 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

If it's a lease, I wouldn't really go about doing that.
Not only do you run the risk of voiding warranties, but you might be violating the terms of lease.
Even if that doesn't happen, you'll be left with components that may not fit your next car.

Besides, I think that the sound in even my RX330 is pretty decent, although the company probably didn't change much in terms of audio.
Old 04-14-07, 03:54 PM
GFarra31
Driver School Candidate

Well...I don't really agree. I've swamped the same amp in 2 cars prior to this RX. With harness adapters, it becomes very easy and the biggest part of the job is getting to the speakers.

I've always left the speakers behind as they run fine on the stock HUs. I bought a quality amp years ago. Its fairly compact for a 4 channel amp.

So far in my past cars it has significantly improved the sound of the stock HU combined wth new speakers you get better sound clarity from a CD....radio will always be worse sounding. But right now my CD's sound worse than the radio...whats up with that??

The non-ML HU depresses the sound volume on CDs.....probably to proect the speakers since CDs have a higher signal to noise ratio that radio

Anyone else with some input to my question?

TIA

George
Old 04-19-07, 07:17 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

the stock non-ML headunit requires 3-way channel summing in order to convert the speaker outputs since there are 3 distinct sets of speaker outputs each of which is already crossed over from the head unit. Right now there are basically 3 options to overcome this, the best of which is a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 ($600). it not only allows the channels to be summed but also adds a 1/3 octave EQ and crossover all of which is configured wireless with a bluetooth PDA, very trick
Old 04-19-07, 12:04 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The non-ML HU depresses the sound volume on CDs.....probably to proect the speakers since CDs have a higher signal to noise ratio that radio

Anyone else with some input to my question?

TIA

George[/QUOTE]

turn the "ASL" function on your radio off. that should help with the sound a lot.
Old 04-20-07, 01:40 PM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AM1
The non-ML HU depresses the sound volume on CDs
where are you getting that information from?
Old 04-20-07, 10:26 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

sorry i was quoting someone else.
Old 04-21-07, 08:22 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

even if the non-ml head unit is depressing the sound on CDS it is nothing that the rockford 3sixty.2 cant handle, right now i am running a JL cleansweep with a SSI (signal summing interface) and i see no level changes between radio and cd
Old 04-21-07, 10:28 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i need one of those convertor things in my system.
Old 04-21-07, 02:16 PM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AM1
i need one of those convertor things in my system.

the JL piece basically just has a preset algorithm to eq the signal and shoot it out with no crossover, the rockford piece is basically the new end all be all signal processor and the fact that it takes speaker level inputs and does signal summation is icing on the cake, it can even take the dolby 5.1 inputs from say the new IS's and output those correctly.

it really is the best out there right now.
Old 04-22-07, 12:35 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

yea i read somewhere that the fosgate unit is the best one out for the time being
Old 04-28-07, 03:16 PM
GFarra31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Frankr66
the stock non-ML headunit requires 3-way channel summing in order to convert the speaker outputs since there are 3 distinct sets of speaker outputs each of which is already crossed over from the head unit. Right now there are basically 3 options to overcome this, the best of which is a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 ($600). it not only allows the channels to be summed but also adds a 1/3 octave EQ and crossover all of which is configured wireless with a bluetooth PDA, very trick
Frankr66,

In your post you mentioned there are 3 ways to overcome the channel summing issue but only advise on using the RF 3sixty.2

What are the other 2 options?

Thanks

George
Old 04-30-07, 10:55 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i think JL audio has a similar unit out. car electronics magazine has a directory in the current months issue, that should help in your search
Old 05-04-07, 08:11 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GFarra31
Frankr66,

In your post you mentioned there are 3 ways to overcome the channel summing issue but only advise on using the RF 3sixty.2

What are the other 2 options?

Thanks

George
the JL Cleansweep and SSI ( I currently have this)
and the Audiocontrol LC8 (they also have a digital version)

I used to represent Audiocontrol about 8 years ago and they make top notch equipment, my car currently has mostly JL gear including the cleansweep but there is no additional control over what the cleansweep does by itself.

the rockford piece is replacing the cleansweep in my car next week, right now it is the best available.

JBL has a lot of hype regarding a piece they have but it has not come to market yet.

Alpine also has a piece coming out which will integrate with the factory NAV screen and bascially make it a video source and radio display, also not to market yet