RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Don't procrastinate on your ATF changes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07, 04:54 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXOwner
So, if I want to do the same with my 2005 RX330, where can I buy the proper transmission fluid? Do I have to get it from Lexus or Toyota? Can't I just pick some up at Autozone, NAPA, or even Wal-Mart?
I don't believe that ANYONE other than Lexus or Toyota sells Type T-IV. Do a Google search on Mobil oil and look at their product list. One of the ATFs lists a Toyota compatible product. I chose to use stuff purchased from my local Toyota dealer. Some folks claim that Amsoil is compatible. Years ago, before Mobil 1 synthetic was widely available I tried Amsoil. WAY too expensive for me and I never looked at their products again.

Gary
Old 05-03-07, 04:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I would stick to the T-IV. Can not go wrong and let's put it this way, you can submit evidence that you followed Toyota recommendations, if and when there is a failure....CYA.
Old 05-03-07, 07:46 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

QUESTION: Does getting the front end up off the ground make it any easier for the fluid to drain (being the the car sit's on a slope when on ramps or jack stands)? Or could just as much fluid be drained witht the car level?

Also, I'massuming it would be necessary to put the car back down before refilling the tranny fluid - so as to get a proper reading from the dip-stick. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-07, 07:54 AM
mandyfig

The front end up will not impact the amount of fluid you can drain, you're ok.
Old 05-03-07, 09:47 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had tranny flushed out completely & put in synthetic oil at 50K. They used about 12 qts. to do the job but I feel it was really cleaned out.
Before I do this again I will take a sample & get a analysis on it. Less then $20 & I will find out just what is going on in there & if it needs another flush out.
Old 05-04-07, 07:14 PM
mandyfig

Where do you send the oil for analysis?
Old 05-05-07, 07:23 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

I use Oil Analyzers Inc.
www.oaitesting.com

I purchase their kits from Amsoil's web page.
If u want to purchase products from Amsoil at low prices become a "Preferred Customer" Click on their web page in the center of the page u will see where to click on. Then use my #66180 & for a small fee you can order anything a big discounts. I think it costs u about $20 for a 6 month period & then if u want to continue you can become a yearly member. Anyway I hope I answered your question.
Old 05-05-07, 08:53 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
So, if I want to do the same with my 2005 RX330, where can I buy the proper transmission fluid? Do I have to get it from Lexus or Toyota? Can't I just pick some up at Autozone, NAPA, or even Wal-Mart?
The problem is with supplier/supplier_chain and vendors and labels as well. Toyota-Type IV is sold clearly as marked as such by Toyota/Lexus. Exactly the same product can be under a different label but we as cosumers will not be able to tell for sure. If the Autozone etc have realtionship with the supplier to buy the product as labelled for Toyota/Lexus then they can sell sell it. [It may be that Toyota has exlusive rights].

So we end up looking for statments as "exuivalent or exceed specs" or go by hearsay ... this is the identical product but labelled differently or simply buy it from Toyota/Lexus.

My view has been: Major cost is in labor and inconvinience. So go buy it from Lexus or Toyota.

Salim
Old 05-05-07, 09:02 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Where do you send the oil for analysis?
Address the why before how.

One thing I learnt in life has been, tests are fine but always answer this question before you opt for the test.

"Based on the outcome, what different steps are you willing to take?"

In other words if you are not willing to do anything different to change (or possibly have an influence on future outcome) then it is not worth the time/energy/money to opt for the test.

So if you have a plan (more frequent change /sell your vehicle/ buy extended warranty etc) then go for it.

Salim
Old 05-05-07, 11:52 AM
mandyfig

Salim, are you familiar with the PDCA cycle?
Old 05-05-07, 12:32 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Oil analysis tells exactly what is going on inside the engine/tranny/gears. As for engine oil it will show what is wearing & how the oil is holding up. Same with the tanny, etc. it shows wear metals, lube specs & if the fluid is OK for continued use. This is the way cross country trucks know when their oil need changing.
Old 05-05-07, 01:16 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would stick to the T-IV. Can not go wrong and let's put it this way, you can submit evidence that you followed Toyota recommendations, if and when there is a failure....CYA.
Yes, multiple things can go wrong with sticking with Toyota T-IV.

1) It is against the Federal law for automaker to condition warranty on owners buying OEM branded parts for services. If OEM branded part or service is a condition for warranty, such part or service must be provided for free.
In short, it is illegal for Lexus to deny warranty service simply because one uses Mobil or Amsoil spec complying after market fluid.

2) Opportunity cost of not using with a superior fluid. Aisin Warner spec complying ATF that is made with real synthetic oil can resist oxidation better. RX's tranny is notorious of generating heat that requires ATF change ~15K-30K, are you satisfied with going with a inferior ATF but stick with a tranny repair bill after powertrain warranty expires?

3)Waster of $. What is the cost of ATF per mile? What is cost of time and gas for more frequent ATF changes? It is naive to look at the sticker price of ATF per quart but refuse to even think how many miles does it give you? I will take $7.5 per quart for an ATF that gives me 60K miles over the $5 ATF that only gives me 30K.

4) Creating unnecessary chemical waste. Ever think of where ATF go if one sticks with 15K schedule? Even if recycled only 2 out of 5 quarts can be reused. Left un-recycled, you just dumped 5 quarts of highly friction modified petroleum oil into the environment.
Old 05-05-07, 04:08 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The problem is with supplier/supplier_chain and vendors and labels as well. Toyota-Type IV is sold clearly as marked as such by Toyota/Lexus. Exactly the same product can be under a different label but we as cosumers will not be able to tell for sure. If the Autozone etc have realtionship with the supplier to buy the product as labelled for Toyota/Lexus then they can sell sell it. [It may be that Toyota has exlusive rights].

So we end up looking for statments as "exuivalent or exceed specs" or go by hearsay ... this is the identical product but labelled differently or simply buy it from Toyota/Lexus.

My view has been: Major cost is in labor and inconvinience. So go buy it from Lexus or Toyota.

Salim
Salim is right on the mark that consumers are afraid of hassle and possible deny of warranty. It is very likely Toyota uses Mobil or Idemitsu to supply its T-IV.

See this official TSB from Mazda that requires owners to use either Mobil 3309, Toyota T-IV, or specified Ford/GM/Volve ATF.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/tsb/aisinwarner.pdf
It is clear at least these ATF are interchangeable because they are all Aisin Warner transmision spec complying. Remember if they are not, Mazda has the liability of providing tranny replacement.

There is no surprise why automakers want to promote/imply OEM branded ATF as the sole qualifying fluid for warranty. But I am surprised most owners actually believe automakers have such right.

Here is what the federal law say. Exact quote from
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8128

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 05-05-07 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-05-07, 04:31 PM
salimshah

Salim, are you familiar with the PDCA cycle?
No.

Salim
Old 05-05-07, 04:36 PM
salimshah

I looked over my post and it seems I was endorsing to buy from Toyota...

Let me clarify ...

If you are looking for Toyota T IV buy it from Lexus/Toyota.

Specs call for Toyota T-IV so you need to buy equivalent or better. [Dexron II & III etc are not]

Salim.

Quick Reply: Don't procrastinate on your ATF changes!