RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 2wd vs. Pilot 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 06:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Going back to the top, why would anyone want a Pilot compared to an RX350?????
Old 05-01-07, 07:03 AM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

I've had auto dealers tell me that they won't even take a Rover in on a trade because they can never get rid of them.

Is that part of pimp, too?
Old 05-01-07, 09:55 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

My brother in law bought a Range Rover..it was a tank! Cost an arm and a leg to maintain....one day it quit working...the ABS shut down, it has to be towed from my driveway (which is actually on a hill). I do not know how they got the tow truck up my driveway.....still a mystery to this day. A month later they bought a Sequioa....good for them!
Old 05-01-07, 10:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The other thing about a Rover is their service department is terrible. They will nickel and dime you to death.
Old 05-01-07, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Going back to the top, why would anyone want a Pilot compared to an RX350?????
Simple.....the size of their bank account. The Pilot delivers quality for around 30K. An RX, in most cases, delivers quality for a good 10K...or more....than that.
Old 05-01-07, 12:39 PM
tfischer

Cost is always a factor. The Pilot is very highly rated, well regarded, and always gets excellent reviews. From what I know, it's an excellent SUV.

But it's not in the same class (weight, luxury) as the RX, just as an Accord is not in the same class as a Lexus ES, etc. The Lexus is more expensive, heavier, quieter, and more luxurious. I have no problem with anybody buying a highly regarded car that is less expensive than a car of similar size and function from Lexus (or MB or BMW).

That's what keeps Hyundai and Kia in business. Not everybody has the income to travel first class, and I think it's admirable that people live within their means.

Pay for the kids' college first; then treat yourself.
Old 05-01-07, 12:40 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple.....the size of their bank account. The Pilot delivers quality for around 30K. An RX, in most cases, delivers quality for a good 10K...or more....than that.
I disagree with that, the Pilot delivers a quality engine for a 30K car. The Pilot's chassis, interior and transmission lacks quality and dont get me started on all those cheap plastic interior parts and how badly they are put together. In life, you get what you pay for. The pilot unlike the RX is not a lexury car and it doesnt claim to be one.
Old 05-01-07, 01:55 PM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I disagree with that, the Pilot delivers a quality engine for a 30K car. The Pilot's chassis, interior and transmission lacks quality and dont get me started on all those cheap plastic interior parts and how badly they are put together. In life, you get what you pay for. The pilot unlike the RX is not a lexury car and it doesnt claim to be one.
so i assumed u owned an Pilot and therefore speaking from experience
Old 05-01-07, 02:54 PM
tfischer

I'm not sure if that is a question or simply a statement of an assumption you made from the previous post.

However, assumptions aside, he doesn't have to have owned "an Pilot" to be knowledgeable about the car.

I've never owned an Pilot myself, but know of its reputation.

. . . or an Land Rover, either.
Old 05-01-07, 10:18 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
i find it funny how you consider the pilot to be cheaply built.....consumer reports plus many other mags have rated the pilot very high in its class and very well built. Plus honda interiors are always rated as top quality. I dont really consider the RX a luxury car, it rides like a highlander has some better materials, but has no power, and all those stupid tranny problems. Like my mechanic always says the RX has more problems then it should for a 40K plus car.
Old 05-01-07, 10:44 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
i find it funny how you consider the pilot to be cheaply built.....consumer reports plus many other mags have rated the pilot very high in its class and very well built. Plus honda interiors are always rated as top quality.
That's right, it is built great for its class--but not for the luxury class.

Originally Posted by AM1
I dont really consider the RX a luxury car, it rides like a highlander has some better materials, but has no power
Being the devil's advocate, luxury doesn't necessarily equate to power.

Originally Posted by AM1
...and all those stupid tranny problems.
I asked this in another thread tonight, but what is the tranny problem that I keep hearing about?
Old 05-01-07, 11:01 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couple of things........i never said the pilot is luxury all i was saying is that the pilot is a great car for its class and not cheaply built like someone else said. if you wanted luxury then you could always get the mdx. you are right luxury doesnt equal power, but on the other hand for that much $$$ if should at least have the same amount of power as others in its class (rx330). the tranny problem i refer to is how the tranny shifts strangely, like hestating before it up or down shifts. and the dealers have no way to fix it.
Old 05-02-07, 06:25 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tfischer
I'm not sure if that is a question or simply a statement of an assumption you made from the previous post.

However, assumptions aside, he doesn't have to have owned "an Pilot" to be knowledgeable about the car.

I've never owned an Pilot myself, but know of its reputation.

. . . or an Land Rover, either.
So u r saying the Pilot's reputation is questionable. Obviously, u really dont know what u r talking about. The Pilot has been rated best in class by most of the car magazines and consumer groups. The RX300 is first and only Toyota, i have bought. I have owned over 7 Hondas. I have never owned a pilot. However, i am a member of the www.hondasuv.com forum and i dont see as much complaints for tranny issues and engine gelling and other gripes as i see here. I will not own a Pilot becuase, i dont need a third row, i dont like the shape and its not my taste. However, from observation and tests, it is one of the most reliable and better built SUVs.
Old 05-02-07, 06:35 AM
tfischer

I don't know what u (I thought it was "you") r (I thought it was "are") talking about. If you review my comments, I think you will see that I agree with you that the Pilot is highly regarded.

My previous comment was directed at the mistaken concept that an informed opinion can only be based upon personal experience.
Old 05-02-07, 07:49 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tfischer
I don't know what u (I thought it was "you") r (I thought it was "are") talking about. If you review my comments, I think you will see that I agree with you that the Pilot is highly regarded.

My previous comment was directed at the mistaken concept that an informed opinion can only be based upon personal experience.
Cool i apologize and I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: RX350 2wd vs. Pilot 2wd