RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 2wd vs. Pilot 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 09:18 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't get how you say the RX350 has no power. At 270hp and 3900lbs, it does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds. Not lightning fast, but more than respectable (and a third of a second quicker than the Pilot) for a family hauler. People who want a dose of Corvette in their SUV aren't buying the RX, but VASTLY more expensive models such as the Cayenne Turbo, X5 4.6/4.8is, ML55 AMG, or, if they don't care about luxury, the Grand Cherokee SRT-8. The RX350 is PLENTY powerful for what it is.

Last edited by geko29; 05-02-07 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-02-07, 10:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by anulex
So u r saying the Pilot's reputation is questionable. Obviously, u really dont know what u r talking about. The Pilot has been rated best in class by most of the car magazines and consumer groups. The RX300 is first and only Toyota, i have bought. I have owned over 7 Hondas. I have never owned a pilot. However, i am a member of the www.hondasuv.com forum and i dont see as much complaints for tranny issues and engine gelling and other gripes as i see here. I will not own a Pilot becuase, i dont need a third row, i dont like the shape and its not my taste. However, from observation and tests, it is one of the most reliable and better built SUVs.
I test drove and ahve friends that have the pilot, I also owned a 03 MDX. The MDX and the pilot both have very attractive packages up front. Both car are poorly engineered except for the engine. If you are a member of a Honda Acura forum, you should be well aware of Honda and ACura's transmission problems. They had recalls and have extended unsatified customer's transmission warrenties over this issue. Unlike I have already mentioned a number of times, Honda makes good cars but they dont know hoe to make truck. I notice a decline in quality on the Honda car in the recent years. The MDX and the pilot are relieable suv, but the poorly built comment comes from the transmission issue and a host of little problems that doesnt materialize til the 2nd or 3rd years. Auto magazines will not pick up on that. The MDX use ok built material, as up to par with Lexus, but the Pilot's interior is full of cheap plastic material. To each his own I guess, dollor for dollar, the pilot did have alot to offer at first.
Old 05-02-07, 03:06 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

You are absolutely right. The Honda can not compare to Toyota, they are a close second though, they try their best! So, more competition, we as consumers win.
Old 05-02-07, 05:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought my cousins 05 MDX was just as well built and better in some parts than my 04 RX330. They never had any transmission problems so can't comment there. Honda/Acura only had one bad transmission line and that was the one mated to the J series V6. All their other transmission are great IMHO. Unfortunately, they use that transmission in many different cars thus the reason why people think a lot of their tranny's are bad. The same thing is happening to the Toyota Camry/RX/ES tranny.

Anyway, the way I judge fit and finish is how everything is put together where the eyes can't see. So far since I modify a lot of my cars and install aftermarket A/V systems in them, I have taken apart the interiors of most of the cars I own. I really can't say the RX uses any greater materials than other typical higher end cars. What Lexus does best IMHO is the appearance of those materials. Take them apart and look at the back of them and you see your typical plastic panel with the same feel as others. From the otherside though it looks good.

For fit and finish, Lexus used to always be better than almost anyone. Lately though that is not always the case. The way I see it, Lexus is still the leader in the industry, but they have gone done a step while others like Honda/Acura, Infiniti/Nissan has gone up a few steps. The gap is much closer now. I'd put the fit and finish of the new RL up against everything Lexus has except maybe the LS460.

That said, I'd take an RX350 over a Pilot anyway. The new MDX; however, is a different story. But then again, the RX should be redesigned in a year or two.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 05-02-07 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-02-07, 11:43 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ all of that is 100percent right. i just didnt feel like writing it all down, but i agree. the dealer even admitted that the tranny problem is in all the FWD lexus models which is the ES and rX and most likely the other toyotas that use the fwd and tranny combo. even infiniti which has always gotten criticism for their fit and finish is as good as lexus now.
Old 05-03-07, 05:01 AM
mandyfig

Lately, you hear more about fit and finish issues with Japan made cars...shows you that the price pressure is forcing Japan to cut come corners....maybe, this is speculation. With the China pressure, it is going to get worse.
Old 05-03-07, 05:54 AM
cip
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't a more fair comparison be:

Toyota Highlander vs. Honda Pilot &
Lexus RX350 vs. Acura MDX?

I'm interested in this one because my wife really likes the MDX, but when I get RX350 loaners, she likes those, too

I have not noticed the trans problems on the RX350, only the ES350 loaners I've recieved
Old 05-03-07, 06:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thats the problem with making hundreds of millions of car a year, its hard to control quality.
Old 05-03-07, 07:04 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AM1
i think the pilot will have good resale. and if you care about how both suvs perform you should have gotten a cayenne turbo or something. plus the fact that both suvs are in different car classes
I am pretty sure the RX400H with beat the Cayenne
Old 05-03-07, 07:57 AM
mandyfig

That's the challenge for Toyota to be #1 and keep # 1 is a HUGE task. While being competitive is selling price. I feel the price pressure, I work for a 2nd Tier supplier to the OEM's, we supply to Honda, Toyota, Nissan, GM, Ford, BMW, Saab, etc.. through 1st Tier Suppliers like JCI, TI auto, Denso, Omron, Bosch, etc..
Old 05-03-07, 08:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

In Mexico, a Honda Pilot is considered a luxury vehicle due to cost. In the states the spread might be 27 to 35K USD, but in Mexico...about $35 to 40K USD...and that's just the price, we also have absurd auto taxes called tenencias that can be 10% or more per year of the value of your vehicle and insurance is 2x that of the U.S.
Old 05-03-07, 11:51 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silvervett
I am pretty sure the RX400H with beat the Cayenne
you make it seem like the rx400h is really fast or something its NOT. put it up against the cayenne turbo S................or even the regular v8 cayenne.
Old 05-04-07, 05:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The RX350 is only a half of second slower than the v8 cayenne S in 0-60, which is not bad at all for a car thats half of the price. The cayenne turbo should not even be mentioned since its about 3 times the price, but then again, the RX is not built for speed and the Porsche is.
Old 05-04-07, 05:59 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
lexus will have a better resale
Based on what? I disagree!
Old 05-04-07, 06:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

A V6 Cayenne will lose to the RX350 AND my RX300.

Quick Reply: RX350 2wd vs. Pilot 2wd