RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Brake Light On and Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 08:48 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts
Default Brake Light On and Off

One of my brake lights would work and then not work. Is this common and what is the issue? Will I need to take it tothe dealer to get checked and fixed? Since it is not the bulb....what could it be? Pisses me off.

The defective side which is the Driver side, would like...light up, but a wimpy glow...when the tail lights are on.

If I shut down the tail lights/park lights, then it would not light up at all.

Has anyone seen this?
Old 05-06-07, 02:02 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Is it the brake light or the tail light?

From your description it looks like that you know, which bulb partially lights up and at times does not light up. This is good news as you are not trying to hunt it down based on warning lamp in the dash.

Since you know which bulb it is, open it up and pull it out of socket. Check the folded wires of the bulb are positioned to mate with the socket squarely. If not, use the needle nose pliers to reposition the wire.

Try shaking the bulb to see if the fillament is broken or patially seperated. You can swap the bulb with the other known good one. [I just buy a new bulb, instead of undoing the other side ,,, why duplicate your work?]

If the problem is not in the bulb or socket, then take it to the dealer to check all connectors in the light circui.

Salim
Old 05-06-07, 09:05 AM
mandyfig

Thanks a lot, I tried to look at it, boy it is tight there, I was discouraged. There's a bunch of wires, and what seems like circuit boards....so I quit, I already bought the replacement bulb which is the 7443....I will try again. Sure is tight in there. Thanks for the advise.
Old 05-06-07, 12:37 PM
salimshah

I am confused

Which bulb is on the blink ... warning indicator (in dash) or actual light bulb in tail of the RX.

My description was for the actual tail bulb ... no circuit board there.

If you are talking about the dash light, please post a pic. There are multiple lamps and at times that cuases a confusion .. there is the brake_warning_lamp and then a tail_light_out warning lamp.

The issue with the warning lamps is that they turn on, based on "expected OUT OF good range" of current. An irreversable and permanant failure (bulb fillament break) is easy to spot , but an almost about to happen fail is hard to tell.

I would suggest hold off the warning_indicator_bulb_replacement till we figure out what is happening.

Salim
Old 05-07-07, 05:44 PM
mandyfig

First off, I do not see a rear light out sign on the dashboard. I guess the circuit is still made hence no indicator.

The brake light lights up like 20%.

I went at it again today. I ended up taking down the whole tail lamp. I only see 1 for park light and 1 for signal light, then a connector. That's it. There is no bulb for brake light to replace. There's a circuit board which is obviously not easy to tear down.

So I put it back.

I will have to take it to the dealer, unless somebody's done this before and can tell me how to do it. I am at a loss.
Old 05-07-07, 06:30 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by mandyfig
First off, I do not see a rear light out sign on the dashboard. I guess the circuit is still made hence no indicator.

The brake light lights up like 20%.

I went at it again today. I ended up taking down the whole tail lamp. I only see 1 for park light and 1 for signal light, then a connector. That's it. There is no bulb for brake light to replace. There's a circuit board which is obviously not easy to tear down.

So I put it back.

I will have to take it to the dealer, unless somebody's done this before and can tell me how to do it. I am at a loss.

SO the brake warning lamp turns on and off. My first guess is that it is one of the sensors sending the signal to activate the warning lamp and the lamp circuit is fine.

Sources are:
Brake fluid level: If it is low or more precisely near low warning, then slope of the road changes the float level. If the floats dips below the lamp comes on. Just top off the reservoir with right type of fluid.
Parking brake: [most likely] there is a switch which indicates that the pedal is not fully released. Either the switch needs adjustment or is sticky. Try engaging and releasing (stress the switch) the brake to observe light turning on or off.
Brake malfunciton: You will need to go to the dealer. I think this diagnositc is not part of the OBDII and the dealer uses another port to hook up.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-07-07 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-07-07, 06:52 PM
mandyfig

Salim, I am sorry, I might have confused you.

My problem is that my driver side brake light is not fully on...it is a wimpy 20%.The right brake light is ok.

When I took down my tail light, I could not replace the bulb, because there was no bulb to replace, it probably has LED? I have an 04 330.
Old 05-07-07, 09:04 PM
salimshah

My bad.

I was still thinking filament light bulb.

Salim
Old 05-07-07, 09:13 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The brake and taill lights are LED. There is a single 5W 168 bult I believe in the center red cylinder for fill. The LEDs are the primary lights though. Earlier there has been debate as to whether those LEDs are both brake lights and tail lights, or just brake lights. What I have noticed from watching it closely is the LEDs do illumitate when you turn on your tail lights and a reduced brightness, and when you hit the brake illumitate to its full brake light brightness. Therefore, it is my opinion they work both as tail and brake lights.

Anyway, if you are having a problem with the LED brake lights illuminating fully, it could a number of problems. Could be the actual circuit board controlling the LEDs have a problem, could be the brake light wire bad. Could be a number of things. In this case, since none of us can actually get to your location, watch and see what is happening, get a test meter on it and such, it is best you take it to the dealer. You might have to have the entire tail light replaced if it is anything to do with the LEDs.

PS. WHile I don't think this is the case, there was a Recall on the brake light switch located at the brake pedal. The switch could go bad and not work. The reason why I don't believe this is the problem is because the switch would cause both left and right brake lights to not work, and not just one side. Either way, if you car is within the recall, and you did not receieve the updated switch, it might be in your best interest to get that changed as well.
Old 05-07-07, 09:52 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to the dealer.
Old 05-08-07, 05:20 AM
mandyfig

Yup, I am headed there. Just waiting on my Title so I can pick up my tag, then off I go to test how great the Lexus dealer is....mine is at Lexus GAlleria in Smyrna, GA, anybody know a good SA, there?
Old 08-29-07, 04:01 AM
iamhere9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Indicator on Dashboard On/Off

I've same issue with my 2000 RX 300, Randomly brake indicator would turn on or off with beep. I made sure I release parking brake fully and also looked at pedals to see if there was any switch that gotten lose or something. But dont seem to figure out. Vehicle is running absolultely fine. Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-29-07, 10:08 AM
salimshah

Check the brake fluid level. As it gets close to sensor low, the sensor comes on and off. So I would start by topping off the brake fluid.

Assuming there are no leaks, as the pads wear out more of the fluid from master cylinder moves into the slave and the level falls. It may be wise to have the brake pads checked out for wear. The other tell tale sign of pad wear is the amount of brake dust on the wheels.

Salim