RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Spare Tire in the 2004 RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 01:10 AM
RX-Fanatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spare Tire in the 2004 RX330?

Hi there, need some confirmation please... :P

For the 2004 RX330, is the spare tire a full sized tire with another full sized rim just like the other four? I have the stock 18" rims with mine and the previous owner scuffed one of the rims so it would be awesome if the spare was just like the others and I could just swap it without spending $400 for a new one (when I get new tires installed of course, otherwise you'd have one with much better tread than the other three...)

Thanks.
Old 05-07-07, 06:38 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

Why don't you go take a look?

Even if a matching wheel is standard, there is no way to tell what is there now; the previous owner might have replaced it.

If you think it's too much trouble to get to the spare, then you have never done it and that is a mistake. Any time you get a new car, you should check out the spare and the jack to be sure everything is there and to check to see how it works so that when you have to get to the spare on the side of the road, you are not learning.
Old 05-07-07, 07:41 AM
BBHanks
Rookie

I have found out that when I take my Rx350 in for maintance they have not been rotating my spare. why let an expensive tire sit in the well and not be used? so now I rotate it myself..
Old 05-07-07, 09:38 AM
RX-Fanatic
Driver School Candidate

hahaha... yes, I was just being lazy and thought I'd pose the question to those of you who may already know (by the way I did check when I bought the car to see if there was a spare tire along with the jack and all, but I didn't pull it out all the way out from under the car to see the rim section). I just checked and yes, it is a full sized spare including the 18" aluminum rim... I'll have it swapped with the rashed one when I get my new Bridgestone Alenza's put on next month...

Thx.
Old 05-07-07, 06:00 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Mine is the same, they did not rotate using the spare, now I do not have a choice but to buy 3 Goodyears......I wanted to replace the tires.....I would like Yokohama's on it.
Old 05-07-07, 08:00 PM
tfischer

There is a school of thought about not rotating the spare, due to the fact that radials should not be switched from the left side to the right side (I think). So if you rotate it in, then you either get the screwed up due to rotation or you have one set with 1/3 less wear.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all the same in the long run because if you make your set of tires last 20% longer, then you have to buy 5 instead of 4 to get a new set. Unless you believe that the spare is only for short term use, in which case it does not need to be rotated in and can just sit in its tray until you need it, which you probably never will.

Or something like that.
Old 05-07-07, 09:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
There is a school of thought about not rotating the spare, due to the fact that radials should not be switched from the left side to the right side (I think). So if you rotate it in, then you either get the screwed up due to rotation or you have one set with 1/3 less wear.

I never heard that before. On non directional and non staggard radial tires I have heard you should rotate the tires. It varies slightly which cross tires you rotate by the manufacturer, but they all cross rotate. However, on staggard tires where the rear is wider than the front obviously you can't rotate front to back, but only side to side and ONLY if it is NON Directional. On Directional tires you can't rotate side to side and only rotate front to back but ONLY if they are not staggard. If you are running Direction and Staggard tires you can't rotate at all.
Old 05-07-07, 09:55 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have never bothered to look at my spare. i wonder if its good.
Old 05-08-07, 10:20 AM
mandyfig

You might need to use it, better check!
Old 05-08-07, 10:32 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

yea i should...............
Old 05-08-07, 12:45 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

My 2007 RX350 came with 5 identical 18" wheels and tires. Added the spare to the rotation at 10k (dealer did a 4-tire at 5k). But I'll definitely be rotating them myself. Dealer wants $57 to do the 4-tire rotation every 5k, which wouldn't be a good investment even if it DOUBLED the treadlife.

But like others have said, drop it and take a look for yourself. Only takes 2 minutes. Open the toolbox (floor access panel right behind the back seats) and take out the long L-shaped wire and the chrome cap with a hole in it. Then open the right cargo box and take out the ~3" cap towards the right end of it. Put the chrome socket on the nut underneath and thread the hook end of the wire through it, then turn. 10 seconds later, your spare is on the ground.
Old 05-08-07, 01:39 PM
mandyfig

There's a ton of DIY projects that we should be doing, it is very convenient and you do not need to shell out cash. The best thing is that you are confident ot was done right. Rotation is one good physical exercise. Then again, some of us would rather do something else, which is fine and well. To each his own. Also, safety is an issue, be always safe when working on cars...make sure you follow the procedures with safety in mind. Never rush to do anything.
Old 05-08-07, 01:59 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

I would suggest that a quick read of the Owners Manual. It will state the manufacturer's recommended Tire rotation intervals as well as how they should be rotated.

My dealer does this automatically. Try the link on filling your tires with Nitrogen as well. This can be of particular benefit for spare tires which aren't checked regularly
Old 05-08-07, 04:17 PM
BBHanks
Rookie

Originally Posted by AM1
i have never bothered to look at my spare. i wonder if its good.
Tire manufactors say that a tire is only good from 5 to 7 years not matter how much tread is left. No use letting it rot in the well. Get some use out of it.
Old 05-08-07, 04:29 PM
tfischer

Rubber will start to deteriorate after a number of years, but will remain usable to a certain extent. I would not use a 10 year old spare as if it were new and expect to drive at highway speeds for 20,000 miles. However, I would use it for a day or a week or even a month to get the flat one fix or replaced, at which time the spare goes back to being a spare.

UV rays (sunlight) also break down rubber, which is why old tires on a car should be replaced after a number of years regardless of miles. A spare does not get exposed to UV so I would think it would have a longer shelf life.

It may have a lot of tread on it, but its ability to hold its shape and hold itself together will be compromised by time.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire in the 2004 RX330?