RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Display Screens on Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 08:24 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken's_RX
Actually no, not correct. Even when I didn't have the lockpick it would ALWAYS display the title/artist when in sat mode.

Do you even have sat radio and can't see the title/artist??? - or, are you just guessing???
Yes, I do. I Installed the VAIS SLX about a month after getting the RX. Before cutting VSS wire--artist and track titles don't show up (for XM, MP3 CDs, or FM with RDS) when going more than 3mph. If you're already in the artist/track screen, it goes blank, if you're on the main selection screen, the "TEXT" button that enables you to get to the artist/track screen is grayed out when moving, along with the text labels for the station/channel/disc/folder selection buttons. After cutting VSS wire--everything works. I don't know how to make this any more clear. Repeat I HAVE DONE THIS MYSELF WITH MY OWN RX.

The lockpick allows destination input while driving and gets rid of the 'I Agree' screen before driving - it has NOTHING to do with the radio display.
Funny, Coastaletech disagrees with you. One of the main features of the Blue Lockpick and higher is to enable "song and artist information in motion". Which, ironically enough, is the same model that enables bluetooth dialing while in motion--BOTH functions of disabling the VSS input to the display unit.

Get your facts straight (read, read, read), OR, speak from experience before posting....
Done, and done. I knew most of this stuff 3 months before buying the car, from hours of reading. I have further reinforced that knowledge by doing it myself on my own car, and observing the way the nav unit operated for 2 months before the mod, and 1.5 months since.

And now that you mention speaking from experience, did you do the simple 5 second check I suggested above before calling me a liar?

PS - I would NOT be cutting ANY wires - it ISN'T necessary!!
Whatever. Cutting one wire got me bluetooth dialing, FM station names, XM station names, CD folder titles, MP3 file titles, artist and song titles in motion with absolutely no ill effects. Grounding one more wire added video while in motion (so the passenger can watch a movie). All this without spending $300. You chose the less risky but more expensive Lockpick route, which has advantages (automatic "I agree" activation, automatic entry of the override macro for destination entry) and disadvantages (cost, not 100% consistent functionality according to your own posts on the subject) compared to cutting the VSS wire. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-17-07, 11:40 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's NOT new on the '08s. My (early) '07 would gray out almost everything when you started moving....until I cut the VSS wire. I don't think there's EVER been a 2RX that allowed viewing song info/dialing the phone while moving.

Since Lexus doesn't actually offer factory Sirius (even though they initially claimed to), I'm guessing you have a VAIStech or some similar unit, and likely the person who installed it cut the VSS wire for you, since there's absolutely no downside as far as usability is concerned (the nav unit gets its Vehicle Speed signal from a completely separate wire).

To verify, try this...push the "off hook" button on the steering wheel while the car is moving. If the dialing pad comes up, your VSS wire has been cut. If you get the speed dial screen, it's intact.

Edit: I see from your prior posts that you have a Lockpick. Of COURSE the track titles show up for you, that's the point of the damn thing. note I did mention that in the post right above yours.
Actually Ken is 100% correct - Whether using Factory XM or third party Sirius or XM the Satellite radio (SAT button) song details are ALWAYS available while moving - it does NOT require a VSS wire cut or Lockpick at all. You can switch between Nav touch screen presets and song details at will....

Here is where the confusion is....When playing either a MP3 data disc in the CD player or using an iPod interface (from VaisTech, etc.)...those song details DO NOT display while moving --unless-- you cut or disconnect VSS or use a LockPick. I can confirm that on multiple RX 350s across both 07 and 08

The difference from a safety perspective is that when listening to Satellite there is no user intervention at the song detail level when listening to Satellite. Just like the radio...all you can do is change the channel. With MP3 CDs you can navigate thru both folder (playlist) listings and song listings randomly...much less safe when moving. That is why that is restricted in the stock radio from Lexus.

Hope that clarifies,

--Scott
Old 05-18-07, 01:03 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is the VSS wire located?
Old 05-18-07, 07:28 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by AM1
where is the VSS wire located?
For Telephone, Bluetooth, and MP3 folder list management override - VSS wire is on pin 20 of the 26 pin M5 connnector behind the Nav screen. There is a picture of this connector on another post somewhere.

Note - VSS wire for navigation overrride is different....

Another note: ---->DO NOT<---- cut this wire...you'll regret it. Either pop it out of the M5 connector for later replacement or suck it up and buy the Ultimate LockPick which handles dynamic VSS disconnect for you (basically puts an inline coupling between the Nav and the existing M5 connector)

Lots of posts on this subject (search on Sonartech's musings)

You've been warned,

--Scott
Old 05-18-07, 09:37 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I think there is confusion here. The artist and song will not be shown while the car is in motion on the NAV screen. But it will be shown on the radio dial. The problem is that the radio dial does not have as much info on it as the NAV screen does So the answer is no info shown on the Nav screen while the car is moving but some info shown on the radio while the car is moving but not as much as you would see on the NAV screen
Old 05-18-07, 11:20 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by silvervett
I think there is confusion here. The artist and song will not be shown while the car is in motion on the NAV screen. But it will be shown on the radio dial. The problem is that the radio dial does not have as much info on it as the NAV screen does So the answer is no info shown on the Nav screen while the car is moving but some info shown on the radio while the car is moving but not as much as you would see on the NAV screen
Again...as I stated in a previous post it depends on what you are listening to - there isn't a black/white answer here. The facts are as follows:

When listening to satellite radio - artist and song WILL show while driving on a stock nav system (at least in an RX350). Doesn't matter if its a factory installed SAT radio or a Vais unit. The only difference between the two is that a factory sat radio only shows 10 characters of info per line and the Vais unit will show 16 characters.

When listening to CDs (MP3) or ipod (e.g. emulating a MP3 CD player with a Vais SLI) - artist and song WILL NOT show while car is in motion without disabling the VSS or installing a Lockpick-like device. Same override controls full telephone keypad and bluetooth access.

--Scott
Old 05-19-07, 12:37 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spikerjack
Again...as I stated in a previous post it depends on what you are listening to - there isn't a black/white answer here. The facts are as follows:

When listening to satellite radio - artist and song WILL show while driving on a stock nav system (at least in an RX350). Doesn't matter if its a factory installed SAT radio or a Vais unit. The only difference between the two is that a factory sat radio only shows 10 characters of info per line and the Vais unit will show 16 characters.

When listening to CDs (MP3) or ipod (e.g. emulating a MP3 CD player with a Vais SLI) - artist and song WILL NOT show while car is in motion without disabling the VSS or installing a Lockpick-like device. Same override controls full telephone keypad and bluetooth access.

--Scott
You are correct, I was too lazy to type the full answer so if you combine our two posts I guess the full info is there.