RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Display Screens on Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 02:15 PM
lbc99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Display Screens on Navigation System

I have not received my new 2008 RX 350 yet, but have a question.

Let say I have the navigation system taking me to a destination. While that is operating I want to display a SAT station with the information regarding a particular song that is playing on the station. If I do that will the display remain on the SAT information or return to the NAV screen after a specified period of time?

Additionally if while I’m in the navigation mode to destination and go to other screens like audio, climate, etc., will the display remain on my selection (audio, climate, etc.) or return to the navigation screen?

Thanks for any information.
Old 05-07-07, 02:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to Club Lexus! Advance congrats on your new car.

You can select in the settings whether or not you want the NAVI screen to default auto-switch back to the map screen after 20-ish seconds or not. So basically it's up to you whether you want the screen to stay on audio/climate/radio etc, or switch back.

On our Lexus we have done both depending on the circumstances, it's located IIRC something like Options>Settings>etc.

However, just to note, the SAT song information might be blanked out when the car is going over 5 mph (annoying I know) for safety reasons. It depends however; the RDS song data displays fine on the radio screen at all times.

Hope you enjoy your RX!
Old 05-07-07, 02:49 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

even if you decide to keep the screen on your radio/sat display info, your still going to hear the woman talking so its not like it will cancel out. you'll be fine either way. Its not that hard to push the MAP button to get back.
Old 05-07-07, 04:36 PM
Ken's_RX
Driver School Candidate

"However, just to note, the SAT song information might be blanked out when the car is going over 5 mph (annoying I know) for safety reasons."

The SAT (Sirius) info always displays - even while driving.
Old 05-07-07, 04:48 PM
lbc99
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ken's_RX
"However, just to note, the SAT song information might be blanked out when the car is going over 5 mph (annoying I know) for safety reasons."

The SAT (Sirius) info always displays - even while driving.
However, the current RX has XM SAT. Is the info blanked out on that?
Old 05-07-07, 04:53 PM
lbc99
Rookie

Originally Posted by enigma888
Welcome to Club Lexus! Advance congrats on your new car.

You can select in the settings whether or not you want the NAVI screen to default auto-switch back to the map screen after 20-ish seconds or not. So basically it's up to you whether you want the screen to stay on audio/climate/radio etc, or switch back.

On our Lexus we have done both depending on the circumstances, it's located IIRC something like Options>Settings>etc.

However, just to note, the SAT song information might be blanked out when the car is going over 5 mph (annoying I know) for safety reasons. It depends however; the RDS song data displays fine on the radio screen at all times.

Hope you enjoy your RX!
Thank you for the info. I have read parts of the Owner's Manual on the Lexus Website, but it is rather laborious because you can only see one part at a time. I e-mailed Lexus and suggested that they provide the complete Owner's Manual for download, instead of small segments!
Old 05-07-07, 06:15 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Also, on Acura's Owner's website, it lists all of your car's recall work. Also shows all the recall for your car. It says if your car was affected or not. Why can't Lexus do the same?
Old 05-07-07, 06:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Glad to be of help!

Yes it would be a lot easier to download one at a time. Hopefully they will implement good suggestions. However, the way it is currently, section by section, what I did is download all of them, then use the freeware PDFTools program and join them all in order into one searchable file. I love how you can do keyword searches of the manual.

As for the song title information, forgive me for possibly giving incorrect information, I don't have satellite radio, and I have read several threads about song title stuff on CL. Going back and reviewing, it seems that perhaps those discussions involved burned CDs or for some other model.

So if Ken's_RX Sirius information displays while driving, I suppose the XM stuff should display also. From my general reading of the threads on XM/Sirius, the installation is similar. One other thread on the IS 350 installation of XM indicates that song titles are shown, with no mention of a black out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=song+title
Pics of the satellite radio screens in the IS (Sirius, but should look the same in XM)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...le#post2201994

Hope this helps!
Old 05-07-07, 08:22 PM
lbc99
Rookie

Originally Posted by enigma888
Glad to be of help!

Yes it would be a lot easier to download one at a time. Hopefully they will implement good suggestions. However, the way it is currently, section by section, what I did is download all of them, then use the freeware PDFTools program and join them all in order into one searchable file. I love how you can do keyword searches of the manual.

As for the song title information, forgive me for possibly giving incorrect information, I don't have satellite radio, and I have read several threads about song title stuff on CL. Going back and reviewing, it seems that perhaps those discussions involved burned CDs or for some other model.

So if Ken's_RX Sirius information displays while driving, I suppose the XM stuff should display also. From my general reading of the threads on XM/Sirius, the installation is similar. One other thread on the IS 350 installation of XM indicates that song titles are shown, with no mention of a black out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=song+title
Pics of the satellite radio screens in the IS (Sirius, but should look the same in XM)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...le#post2201994

Hope this helps!
I was thinking of downloading them all too, but didn't know how to pull them together. Maybe I'll do that. Thanks for mentioning a tool which would accomplish the attachment of the single pdfs into one file! I too like searching the full pdf file for information. I do that now for another vehicle.

I guess I'm still in perplexed with regards to the XM radio displaying song information underway. Seems to me that it should show that information.
Old 05-08-07, 11:46 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

No problem. Don't worry about the song title too much, I may have relayed incorrect info there. Ken's_RX made it clear that his satellite radio data shows at all times, so I would defer to his real world experience on that matter.
Old 05-08-07, 12:36 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

It will not show the artist/title in the nav screen while moving unless you cut the VSS wire or install some sort of bypass (like the Lockpick). They will show up in the head unit's display, however, and you can push the Text button to cycle through channel number-->channel name-->artist-->song title.

But since you have to take the head unit out to install satrad anyway, only takes an extra 5 minutes to pull the Nav screen and cut the VSS wire.
Old 05-08-07, 03:19 PM
Ken's_RX
Driver School Candidate

Guess that is something new on the '08's. Boy does that suck!!

Funny how they think you will be 'distracted' by looking at the artist & title while listening to sat radio and NOT be distracted while watching the map display...

Glad I got a '07!!!

-Ken
Old 05-08-07, 03:29 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

It's NOT new on the '08s. My (early) '07 would gray out almost everything when you started moving....until I cut the VSS wire. I don't think there's EVER been a 2RX that allowed viewing song info/dialing the phone while moving.

Since Lexus doesn't actually offer factory Sirius (even though they initially claimed to), I'm guessing you have a VAIStech or some similar unit, and likely the person who installed it cut the VSS wire for you, since there's absolutely no downside as far as usability is concerned (the nav unit gets its Vehicle Speed signal from a completely separate wire).

To verify, try this...push the "off hook" button on the steering wheel while the car is moving. If the dialing pad comes up, your VSS wire has been cut. If you get the speed dial screen, it's intact.

Edit: I see from your prior posts that you have a Lockpick. Of COURSE the track titles show up for you, that's the point of the damn thing. note I did mention that in the post right above yours.
Old 05-08-07, 03:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the clarification, geko29. With this added info lbc99 can make a decision as to how he wants it done, especially since his car is en route.

Personally, I don't mind not seeing the song titles in motion, as I don't want to be distracted off the road. Having the XM satellite channel number is good enough (my relative's Acura had that), and if a passenger wants to see the song title they can use the TEXT button as you said.

However there are lots of people on this forum and elsewhere who are annoyed by that, and can handle the driving distraction. So the Lockpick/VSS wire thing may be an idea to consider. Of course, like you mentioned, it will affect all the lockouts--including Bluetooth dial screens (I guess it will not automatically switch to speed dial based on what you said).
Old 05-08-07, 04:29 PM
Ken's_RX
Driver School Candidate

Actually no, not correct. Even when I didn't have the lockpick it would ALWAYS display the title/artist when in sat mode.

Do you even have sat radio and can't see the title/artist??? - or, are you just guessing???

I have it and it does display while driving - I have NEVER read anything otherwise with either Sirius or XM.

The lockpick allows destination input while driving and gets rid of the 'I Agree' screen before driving - it has NOTHING to do with the radio display.

Get your facts straight (read, read, read), OR, speak from experience before posting....

I am speaking of the sat radio display NOT the telephone, or anything else.

-Ken

PS - I would NOT be cutting ANY wires - it ISN'T necessary!!

Quick Reply: Display Screens on Navigation System