RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Open Satellite Slot in RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 03:21 PM
jopode
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Satellite Slot in RX350?

I have a 2008 RX350. Of the buttons for the radio controls is Disc, FM, Text, and AM/SAT.

I did not opt for satellite in the car. Does anyone know if there is an open input in the head unit? Could I plug in a cable and route it to my iPod without the use of a VAIS or Dice module in this extra input if there is one?
Old 05-09-07, 07:43 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by jopode
I have a 2008 RX350. Of the buttons for the radio controls is Disc, FM, Text, and AM/SAT.

I did not opt for satellite in the car. Does anyone know if there is an open input in the head unit? Could I plug in a cable and route it to my iPod without the use of a VAIS or Dice module in this extra input if there is one?

There isn't a traditional input jack left open on the back of the RX350 radio assembly. All the factory-installed or third party products leverage the existing connectors and cables already in place, usually by going inline with a "y" cable. That is how I have seen both the factory-installed XM and the Vais-based SLI (ipod) or SLS (Sirius) units work.

While it would be great if high-end vehicles like the RX had ready-made ipod or sat jacks, sadly they don't. I have both the Vais SLI and SLS installed in my 07 RX350 and they work flawlessly. It took me less than 40 minutes to install the SLI inside the center kickpanel below the radio and to route the ipod cable to the lower center console tray. Glad I did it.

Sorry there isn't a simpler or cheaper solution for the RX...

--Scott
Old 05-10-07, 12:49 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you drill a hole inside the center console for the cable?
Old 05-10-07, 06:17 AM
jopode
Driver School Candidate

What i meant is that there is a possibility of there being an open plug for an XM receiver, and that pressing AM/SAT would cycle through each of these. Thus, I think there is a SAT jack ready for the car.
Instead of plugging in a Satellite, couldn't I just plug in a cable that would route to me iPod without the use of Vais or Dice?
Old 05-10-07, 06:43 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by jopode
What i meant is that there is a possibility of there being an open plug for an XM receiver, and that pressing AM/SAT would cycle through each of these. Thus, I think there is a SAT jack ready for the car.
Instead of plugging in a Satellite, couldn't I just plug in a cable that would route to me iPod without the use of Vais or Dice?
Sorry I wasn't clear...there is --no-- open SAT port on the radio assembly. Connecting the factory XM cable involves installing a Y cable into the already used 20 pin connector on the back of the radio. When you turn the RX on, all audio devices are detected and will be displayed when you cycle thru the AM/SAT button. Works the same with a Vais unit for iPod...it emulates a CD changer playing MP3 files and will show up as "CD2" when cycling thru the DISC button.

--Scott
Old 05-10-07, 06:47 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by AM1
did you drill a hole inside the center console for the cable?
I followed Lexuslover's excellent install strategy at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227901

I ran the iPod cable out the back of the passenger side kick panel, tuck it under the floor mat, and then about 4" stick out so the iPod can rest on the lower center console tray using a sticky pad. No drilling required and since my car interior is black, the Vais ipod cable is black, and my ipod is black - very unnoticeable.

--Scott