RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New to the Forums - Future owner Needs help on purchasing an RX 330 or 350!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07 | 12:51 PM
ImolaS54
Driver School Candidate

you are expecting to buy a brand new RX350 at invoice?
Old 05-20-07 | 07:35 PM
mandyfig

Of course he can get away with it...sometimes they do....
Old 05-20-07 | 10:04 PM
woof
Driver School Candidate

we had a similar problem with only 2 dealerships in the state. We found that negotiating a fair price was very difficult. Ultimately, I went to a broker and they beat the dealership deal to where aquiring an RX was somewhat reasonable....
Old 05-21-07 | 08:30 AM
mandyfig

Have you tried using the Costco Car Shopping Service? Or the BJ's? I have read some testimonials and they say it saves the a ton.
Old 05-21-07 | 12:09 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

i forget that here in So cal there are a lot of dealers where there are always other dealers you can go to if one dealer doesn't treat you right. anyways that being said i still feel that with some research, and good bargaining you can get a rx350 for a good price, close to invoice even. i still think dealer demos or "executive cars" are not worth buying unless they offer a huge discount.
Old 05-21-07 | 01:42 PM
salimshah

If at a Lexus dealership (or any other reatiler who takes pride in its name), I would suggest taking the matter of not being treated with respect to sales manager, dealership owner or the corporate office.

Clearly distinction has to be made between not being able to reach a mututally agreeable sales price vs disrespect. The problem is when a deal is unable to be consumated, the parties make disparaging parting remarks (knowing that they have reached a point of no-return and I know more or you know less etc).

Salim
Old 05-21-07 | 02:40 PM
MBC230
Driver School Candidate

Okay Team the art of negotiating is get the best price possible, not getting the vehicle at what is shown on Edmund or KBB because 9 out of 10 time its not going to happen.

I just bought a Brand new 08 RX 350…I negotiated the price I wanted with several different dealers , in and out of state this took me about a month and a half, but patience and being able to lie is the key. They need to sell a new or used vehicle more than you need to buy one.

I want to try to keep this short, because like I said I lie and cheated just like they do I pitted the dealers against each other. End the end I ended up getting the 08 RX350 w/nav for 38xxx not because that was the price I negotiated, but because they gave me 3,500 more that what my Edmund or KBB said my trade was worth. How does that work?

1. Get a pre-approved loan (I had a couple, one had a better interest rate than the other)
2. Negotiate the price of the vehicle that you want.
3. Negotiate the price of your trade-in
4. Let the dealer know that you are willing to look else where
5. Make the deal and review all of the paper work before you sign anything

Note: Never do step 2 and 3 at the same time NEVER EVER!

These are the basic steps, if I was to go into greater detail and tell you how I did it I would have to write a book. I was not trying to get the vehicle at or below Dealer invoice I just wanted to pay the price I was comfortable with and get the price I believe I deserved on my trade-in. I could not careless on how much profit the dealer made I just wanted to be happy with the price I paid and my monthly payment.

Real quick for those who are going to say that they just add the extra 3,500 to the price of your new car. NO! Because I did step 2 and then 3 Also I owed thousands less than what blue book for the car was one last thing I did step 5 to ensure that did not happen.

If you have questions please ask…I’m willing to help.

Last edited by MBC230; 05-21-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-21-07 | 07:27 PM
mandyfig

There you go...patience...is your ally....patience will save you big $$. Plus the feeling of satisfaction...priceless....
Old 05-21-07 | 11:25 PM
htownplaya
Driver School Candidate

Default Update 2:

Went to the 3rd lexus dealersip.

Looked at a preowned 07 with 15k miles this was loaner car, Not even cetified they said with these low miles we dont need to certify it. Bottom asking price was 35700 + TTL, we offered 33k or 33.5 plus ttl. They did not agree, we walked off and went to the NEW car sales section

New 08 RX 350.

The guy did not even go to the manager hes like i know what i can and can not sell the car for. Bottom line pricing which he did not even have the car on the lot because we want the color WHITE, 37k + ttl.

How do these numbers sound? MSRP on the new is 40,XXX
Old 05-22-07 | 06:59 AM
MBC230
Driver School Candidate

Actually the numbers that you are asking sound reasonable. My dealer gave me the 37K price on a vehicle that was similarly equipped (same color) and the MSRP was 41xxx so your guy should be able to do it. Just be patient.

I would not buy the loaner unless they give it to you for 33 or 33.5

Also do you have a trade-in?
Old 05-22-07 | 11:42 AM
htownplaya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MBC230
Actually the numbers that you are asking sound reasonable. My dealer gave me the 37K price on a vehicle that was similarly equipped (same color) and the MSRP was 41xxx so your guy should be able to do it. Just be patient.

I would not buy the loaner unless they give it to you for 33 or 33.5

Also do you have a trade-in?
No trade-in.
Old 05-23-07 | 06:21 PM
MBC230
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by htownplaya
No trade-in.
You have to find yourself another dealership, because if you keep going there you give them the advantage. They will think that you are desperate or that they have you over a barrel. Let them know what your best and final offer is and then move on. Remember they need to sell… you don’t need to buy.

I don’t know what year RX you want to buy or if you want to buy it from the Lexus dealer or if you want it pre-owned certified, but since you are in the Dallas area you should look into CARMAX. I actually looked there once the dealers weren’t given me any love. The only thing is they don’t haggle/negotiate the price you see is the price you pay. But I believe they have a 5 day return policy. Also they can deliver a car from any of the CARMAX locations to you (for a small fee of course), but if you don’t like it once its there you don’t have to accept it. Check it out if you don’t mind getting your RX from some place other than a Lexus dealer.
Old 05-23-07 | 06:39 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by MBC230
Remember they need to sell… you don’t need to buy.
Very well said!

The only issue is dealer knows that he can sell the same vehicle to another customer for more profit. So why settle for less.

Now if some how the dealer gets the notion that no one will buy it for more or he has some other insentive, would be the reason to sell at the lower price.

Is'nt the free market wonderful. The customers have an influence, but if at least one is willing to pay the rest of the community has to match the going rate.

Salim
ps: This why the high demand vehicles are seldom discounted. When you talk about Lexus, the new models go for full retail ... yikes ... I bought GS back in 98 at retail. yeah me too.

Last edited by salimshah; 05-23-07 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-23-07 | 08:21 PM
mandyfig

Free market economy. But you have to work it...no free lunch...remember the rule. With us the consumer, the better you knw about the product you want to buy, the better. Empowerment!
Old 06-17-07 | 03:39 AM
apwoodr
Rookie

Excellent advice! I am just now starting my "buying research" again after purchasing my last RX in 2003. Here is what I do:

1) YOU MUST GO TO CARBUYINGTIPS.COM!!!! Information is power, and that site alone will save you $$$$.
2) Spend the $39 and buy the Fightingchance.com package. It will pay for itself 1,000 times over.
3) Follow the advice from the first two steps.
4) If you can wait for a Taste of Lexus event,you can get an ADDITIONAL $500 off...AFTER YOU NEGOTIATE the final price!
5) As stated above...have pre-approved financing in place. When they ask if you want to finance through them, you can see if they will beat the interest rate.

I did all of these in 2003 when I purchased a "new to the market" RX330 and I saved thousands. I had one dealer tell me I would never get below MSRP because it was such a new model and in demand. Two days later, I had two different dealers tell me I got a steal on my final purchase price! Now that that the 2008 is the final model year, it should be even easier to get a deal!

Quick Reply: New to the Forums - Future owner Needs help on purchasing an RX 330 or 350!!!!