RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New to the Forums - Future owner Needs help on purchasing an RX 330 or 350!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 11:22 PM
htownplaya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Forums - Future owner Needs help on purchasing an RX 330 or 350!!!!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and I am currently looking for an RX 330 or 350.

I went to the dealership today in Dallas, Tx and man what could I say about these salesmen. I had a good idea on how to haggle from experience. They showed me a new 08 RX 350 MSRP of 40,XXX and they told me they would give it to me for around 37,XXX after taxes would be 40k without navi, just premium package? I also went on thier computer to Edmunds.com and showed them the invoice price for the RX 350 is $33,XXX without options. I was not going to pay more than what Edmunds shows.

Is this a good deal? Also, they showed me demo cars as well. They have under 5k miles on them and since they knew that I had a lot of knowledge about nego. the prices, he went and talked to the manager and told me since they will not lose money on the NEW or Demo they will sell them BOTH at the same prices. They refused to sell me the demos at a cheaper price.

All in all, the dealership here was very rude and not willing to work out a deal. I will keep searching and will be going to other dealers this week.

I am also interested in purchasing a Pre-Owned 07, 06 and 06 RX's. How much are these going for with each year under 15k miles. I do not want more than 15k miles on the preowned.

Any information would be real helpful.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-18-07, 11:41 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Pardon me, but I am confused ....

The basis of negotiation is knowing the real price of the merchandise to the seller. [research at the bank or even on the net can get you the sellers cost to within $500]. You state that you are good negotiator, so how can we be of help?

Salim
Old 05-18-07, 11:48 PM
htownplaya
Driver School Candidate

First off, I told him I didnt want to waste his time and I didnt want to waste mine. I told him to give me the pricing for this car. He thought we were stupid and didnt know much until i showed him the invoice price on edmunds and then he left to see what he can do.

He then came back after he "talked to his manager" and told us he has demos for the price range i am looking for (around 33,XXX - 34k). We then picked out the one we liked and he went to the manager again and THEY REFUSED TO SELL US A DEMO.

I need help to see what other are paying for the RX, that is why I joined the forum. Isnt this the place to come to when you need more information on a vehicle????
Old 05-19-07, 06:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Take the invoice price from Edmunds, add on the options, add about $600 for Toyota advertising fee and thats the price you should paid.
Old 05-19-07, 06:54 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In our neck of the woods, Lexus doesn't "negotiate". We bought our '05 new with 6 miles on it and the car was sold for $2000 under list. They had one and two year old RXs for sale but no demos. If you can get your car with a discount of more than $2000 I would go for it. Remember that the RX is one of the most popular luxury SUVs out there. Again, in our area (Pittsburgh, PA) Lexus won't even come close to the type of haggling that you will see at a Chevy or Ford dealer.

Surprised that he wouldn't sell you a demo though!

Gary
Old 05-19-07, 07:25 AM
Seadee456
Driver

If you don't mind me asking, which dealer did you go to? Sewell or Park Place? I just bought my RX last October. At the time, I was looking at the 2007 RX350, I wanted AWD which stickered for 43,xxx. After hard negotiations, Sewell wouldn't go below 39,xxx and PP wouldn't go below 40,xxx. I ended up buying a used 2005 model RX330 from Park Place Mercedes for 31k. The numbers you speak of sound about right.
Old 05-19-07, 07:39 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Knowledge is very important. The more you know how much the product costs in the market, the better you can negotiate. Patience is the key, though. In any negotiation, if you are not ready to walk away, you have lost the game.
Old 05-19-07, 09:38 AM
htownplaya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Knowledge is very important. The more you know how much the product costs in the market, the better you can negotiate. Patience is the key, though. In any negotiation, if you are not ready to walk away, you have lost the game.
Ya thats exactly what i did, just walked away.

I went to the dealership Lexus of Dallas off of love field, on Lemon Rd? The salemen ended up telling me how I was disrespectful to him and I asked him how was I bing disrespectful to you and hes like I dont know you just have been rushing me and pushing me on pricing LOL. Its not my fault I know what I'm talking about and you feeding me garbage. My dad said screw this right after he said that to me and we walked out.

Our next dealership will be Grapvine and the one in Plano.
Old 05-19-07, 10:57 AM
mandyfig

Exactly, how can we tolerate sales people who know little of what they sell? I hate that. And then act as if we are talking garbage, where, obviously, they do not even want to invest in learning what they sell. Very pathetic. Some people want to get money for nothing. Lazy pos.
Old 05-19-07, 10:59 AM
salimshah

Seems like the sales person got ticked off and acted like a child.

I would go to another dealership or if you want to play harball with them, call the dealership and talk to sales manager and ask for another sales rep. [Personally I would not do this as I would give my business and money to some one who can deal professionally, even when we have a disagreement].

Salim
Old 05-19-07, 11:17 AM
Seadee456
Driver

Originally Posted by htownplaya
Ya thats exactly what i did, just walked away.

I went to the dealership Lexus of Dallas off of love field, on Lemon Rd? The salemen ended up telling me how I was disrespectful to him and I asked him how was I bing disrespectful to you and hes like I dont know you just have been rushing me and pushing me on pricing LOL. Its not my fault I know what I'm talking about and you feeding me garbage. My dad said screw this right after he said that to me and we walked out.

Our next dealership will be Grapvine and the one in Plano.
Sales ppl at Sewell are idiots, service dept isn't bad though. My dad went in there looking for a GS350 AWD. The sales person said that they didn't make them. I went :wtf: and thought they just wanted to make a sale. Needless to say, he ended up buying one in Chicago. PP Grapevine's is pretty bad too. My mom bought her LX there, you can't really get that much off those.
Old 05-19-07, 12:27 PM
mandyfig

Dealerships are hot and cold....ever wonder what the turn over ratio on these dealerships? The 1st question I ask from a Sales guy...how long have yuou been here?
Old 05-19-07, 08:14 PM
htownplaya
Driver School Candidate

Default Update:

Went to 2 dealerships today.

Dealership 1 (the one that wouldnt sell me a demo): Well we went to the preowned section and that guy told us they had a demo which they could sell, so we told him to show us and give us pricing on it.

Brand new 08 msrp 40841, giving it to me for 37800 + TTL

Demo for msrp 40841 - 3700, so add 6.25% taxes = 39400 otd.

Dealership 2.

Giving me invoice which is 36,XXX plus 5% = prolly more than dealership 1.
Old 05-19-07, 11:08 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres something to think about.....remember when you guys first went to test drive a car? ok think bout how they usually go to get the car probably warm it up for 20 seconds, then you go and drive it and probably abuse the car. you drive it hard or do hard stops to see hpow the brakes are, etc drive for a few miles then back to the dealer. Now imagine hundreds of people doing that. would you really want a dealer demo? and they dont want to sell it? are they smoking crack or something?
Old 05-20-07, 09:14 AM
salimshah

To top this off, the dealer sells the demo as it is different from "used cars". They latch on to the technicalities of it is "not preowned" ~> new title even if has been in service for 3 months.

It would be good to hear from people who bought a dealer's demo. I dont recall reading any negitive experiences.

Salim

Quick Reply: New to the Forums - Future owner Needs help on purchasing an RX 330 or 350!!!!