RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Kazoo noise '06 330

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 05:45 AM
Bobcuse44
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kazoo noise '06 330

After car is fully warmed up, when decelerating at 40 mph or less, I have always had a wierd, loud, humming type noise that sounds like someone blowing into a kazoo. It sounds like decompression air blowing thru a pinhole or something, but the service garage at the dealer "never hears it". It is definitely worse in warmer weather and very annoying. I haven't gone for a ride with them yet (next step). Anyone else experience this?
Old 05-26-07, 07:54 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Is it a "moaning" sound? Or a dull, subtle buzzing sound?

While they were test driving my RX (after fixing the dash rattle problem), they noticed a humming sound coming from vehicle when A/C is turned on. I had noticed that humming sound a couple of times, but didn't think anything about it. However, they fixed it according to the TSIB AC003. "Moan sound with AC on".

After some online research I found the bulletin described as:

"Some 2004 – 2006 RX 330 owners may experience a moan noise heard at 1100 rpm to 1400 rpm with the A/C ON. Production changes to the discharge hose and clutch hub have been implemented to prevent this problem. This service bulletin provides a procedure to improve this condition."

Since you said that it usually happens when it is warm out, could the air conditioning be kicking in and could this be what you are experiencing?

Old 05-26-07, 08:46 AM
notme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted about this same issue awhile back. I have noticed that at "low" (I have never looked at exact rpm), my 330 buzzes. It sounds like a vibration noise coming from the front left side of my car. Very annoying and intermittent. I am wondering if this is my problem. It usually happens as I am accelerating from a stop and cornering. Is this the same issue?
Old 05-26-07, 01:21 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by notme
I posted about this same issue awhile back. I have noticed that at "low" (I have never looked at exact rpm), my 330 buzzes. It sounds like a vibration noise coming from the front left side of my car. Very annoying and intermittent. I am wondering if this is my problem. It usually happens as I am accelerating from a stop and cornering. Is this the same issue?
That's a good description of what I (and the dealer) heard on mine. I didn't note my exact RPM, but it was usually when turning in a parking lot or something, so it was at a low RPM, for sure.

At any rate, the dealer was aware of this issue and said there was a TSB on it, so he went ahead and fixed it.

Old 05-27-07, 07:39 AM
Bobcuse44
Driver School Candidate

This sounds like it. I'll try turning off A/C. I live in Fla and it's always on so I never tried it without A/C. Thx.
Old 05-28-07, 08:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcuse44
After car is fully warmed up, when decelerating at 40 mph or less, I have always had a wierd, loud, humming type noise that sounds like someone blowing into a kazoo. It sounds like decompression air blowing thru a pinhole or something, but the service garage at the dealer "never hears it". It is definitely worse in warmer weather and very annoying. I haven't gone for a ride with them yet (next step). Anyone else experience this?

I have seen the TSB on this....it requires a replacement wrap on the discharge line of the AC.....like a noise cover, it apparently works.
Old 05-28-07, 01:57 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have seen the TSB on this....it requires a replacement wrap on the discharge line of the AC.....like a noise cover, it apparently works.
That, along with changes to the clutch hub, like they did on my 330.

Old 05-28-07, 08:09 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

What about the clutch hub? Tranny issue?
Old 05-28-07, 09:52 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by mandyfig
What about the clutch hub? Tranny issue?
I think they meant the A/C compressor clutch hub.

Old 05-28-07, 11:26 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by notme
does it sound like a window cracked open, even though all the windows are fully closed?
Old 06-01-07, 05:47 AM
Bobcuse44
Driver School Candidate

It doesn't sound like a window cracked open, but a humming vibration sound, like a low saxaphone note. It stops when I turn off the A/C so those who helped me...THANK YOU! Will they charge me to fix this or is it a Lexus repair to a Lexus problem?
Old 06-01-07, 08:31 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by Bobcuse44
It doesn't sound like a window cracked open, but a humming vibration sound, like a low saxaphone note. It stops when I turn off the A/C so those who helped me...THANK YOU! Will they charge me to fix this or is it a Lexus repair to a Lexus problem?
If your vehcile is still under warranty, there is no charge.

My service advisor is so proactive that he heard the sound while working on something unrelated and went ahead and fixed it as per the TSB.

Old 06-01-07, 09:13 AM
NewEngland
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had TSB below done in last summer. The humming noise still but it's better. I hear the moan sound when "Break in Brake" and driving low speed. It's getting worse when high temp. This car have to be quiet it as itself, it is not accepted for LEXUS. Also the A.C kick in really strong(every 5 or 10 second i guess).
I'm going to check with dealer again very soon.
Do you think may be other problem beside this to make the "moan" sound? It's really annoying...

Thanks

Component Description:
29. EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:AIR CONDITIONER Bulletin Number: 00204
Bulletin Date: MAY 2004

Vehicle: 2004 Lexus RX 330
Summary:
GROAN SOUND WITH AIR CONDITIONER ON. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10007638 )
Old 06-01-07, 11:06 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i dont have that problem in my car, though with the stuff that has gone wrong so far not surprised if it does happen
Old 06-01-07, 11:10 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by NewEngland
I had TSB below done in last summer. The humming noise still but it's better. I hear the moan sound when "Break in Brake" and driving low speed. It's getting worse when high temp. This car have to be quiet it as itself, it is not accepted for LEXUS. Also the A.C kick in really strong(every 5 or 10 second i guess).
I'm going to check with dealer again very soon.
Do you think may be other problem beside this to make the "moan" sound? It's really annoying...

Component Description:
29. EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:AIR CONDITIONER Bulletin Number: 00204
Bulletin Date: MAY 2004
Summary:
GROAN SOUND WITH AIR CONDITIONER ON. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10007638 )
That's not the same TSB that I had done to fix my humming sound from the AC unit. The TSB work on my car was identified as "TSIB AC003".

Maybe you could get the TSB fixed for yours.

Quick Reply: Kazoo noise '06 330