RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX looses car comparo to Hyundai Veracruz

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 01:18 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Yes, at the end of the day, when they see you in a Lexus, it tells them that you have good taste and good value.
GOOD TASTE AND GOOD VALUE......the feeling of satisfaction that you have invested in something good......
Old 06-19-07, 07:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually, I think that Lexus drivers are on the practical side. People who have money to throw around buys Rovers and Porsche.
Old 06-19-07, 06:31 PM
mandyfig

Yup, the money pits...explains it, now these are the guys who throw money...
Old 06-21-07, 10:57 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been gone for a week and you guys are still in this thread?
Old 06-22-07, 05:26 AM
mandyfig

Yeah, we missed your ranting and raving....welcome back.
Old 06-22-07, 05:33 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Yeah, we missed your ranting and raving....welcome back.
Now thats funny
Old 06-22-07, 11:10 AM
mandyfig

LOL.........AM1 get off the bed and let your presence be known....really, we missed you.
Old 06-23-07, 01:42 AM
mikebeau
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I actually test drove the Veracruz about a month ago. Not too shabby. It came with shifttronic transmission. I thought the transmission would be cool but it wasn't that great.

The dealership I went to only had five, and none had leather. So there was no way to compare apples to apples. But if they did, you are still probably comparing Hyundai's highest most expensive trim level to The RX's base level. Other than that, the front grill, like most first gen Hyundai's, is hideous.

In the end, I made my wife test drive the Hyundai, and about 5 other SUV's and she still hands down picked the Lexus. Her last car is a Lexus, and most likely every one hereafter will be.
Old 06-23-07, 11:00 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
TO me, the article flatters the RX as it is acknowledging it is the leader in its segment and Hyundai basically tried their best to make their verision of a RX.

I find some of these comparos very entertaining to read b/c you do have people who will say "I have so and so for less and its almost on par with this luxury car".

Hyundai continues to do a good job with new prodcuts. Hell the Kia Sorento knocked off the first gen RX and now this knocks off the 2nd gen RX.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

IMO, what the article is saying is you can get an almost Lexus for a good price with comparable features. Some people don't care about real wood, perfect fit and finish, top dealer service, great paint etc.

Value dictates their purchase.

The Hyundai is a great value, the Lexus is a GREAT SUV. Big difference

Kudos to Hyundai for stepping their game up.
Great summary, 1sick. Hyundai would be better off by launching its own luxury division if it ever wants to gets out of current public image of value.

Toyota has some serious internal issues to be addressed, including the increasing quality and reliability concern. Over the years, Toyota has built most plants in the U.S. that has the ability to produce only one or two models. This results in excess capacity and lack of flexibility, resulting loss of profit for Toyota.

In Japan, some of Toyota's plants are capable of building more than a half-dozen different vehicles. In North America, several of them build just one or two models. That lack of flexibility makes it more difficult for the company to adjust to sudden swings in demand.
Toyota can now make more than 100,000 more Tundras each year than it expects to sell. The sluggish demand and competition from Detroit have forced Toyota to offer unusually large discounts on Tundras, including zero interest financing for five years -- a tactic borrowed from GM.

"It's time for us to strengthen the fundamentals in all areas" in the U.S., says Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe. He cites problems including rising manufacturing costs, excess capacity at some plants and quality problems.

In 2005, Toyota recalled 2.38 million vehicles in the U.S., slightly more than it sold that year. To improve engineering and design, Mr. Watanabe has said, Toyota will delay introducing some models by as much as six months and will eliminate others.
Old 06-23-07, 01:02 PM
mandyfig

Yes, there has been a very high profile quality improvement drive from Toyota, as we have felt (we are a Tier 3 supplier to Toyota). There has been a marked increase in Audits and a very stringent requirement for a robust root cause analysis of of the failures. And we have some failures.
Old 06-23-07, 01:55 PM
MBC230
Driver School Candidate

Okay this Hyundai Veracruz and Lexus RX350 comparison I find quite amusing. Because a Hyundai will never be as good as a Lexus, why do I believe this because initial vehicle quality means nothing to me. I’m looking for long term reliability, resale value (you know some thing that’s not going to make the dealers laugh when its time to trade it in) Dealers know they can sale a Lexus, not so sure about a Hyundai. Yeah you save over 10,000 on Hyundai…great you can use that money to get it repaired or as a down payment on a new car. I’m not saying that Hyundai is a bad car (yes I am) they have some very interesting styling concepts (the ones they took from other automaker) I’m just saying that if I want a car for the long term it would not be a Hyundai. Yeah their quality and reliability have improved but it not up to the level that I’m use to.

I don’t want to offend any one here, but my take on what they are saying about Hyundai is this (we have all seen the commercials they compare themselves to BMW, Land Rovers, and Lexus cars of that nature) If you can’t afford any of these cars come buy a Hyundai we are just as good, We have some of the same features (similar) So if you want a Lexus and can’t afford it our car looks pretty damn close to it. I could keep going on but why I think you might understand what I trying to say… I’m not going to let a magazine tell me what the better car is I will make my own decision from what I have seen from these car and what my friends tell me, people who actually own these cars not someone that got to do a long-term test drive.

As I see it Hyundai is still chasing the leaders because in 2006 JD Power and associates ranking, overall the Hyundai brand ranked 3rd, just behind Porsche and Lexus, and beating long time rival Toyota. But we will see how long that last. Hey who knows they might surpass both of the leaders because Hyundai has only been in this country for only 21 year there is time to improve…ooh wait the Lexus brand has only been around for 18 years go figure

I guess after so many years of building poor quality car when they finally come close to getting it right everyone wants to praise them as I said above Hyundai is still chasing "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection."
Old 06-25-07, 01:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats is so true, did you guys see the new Hyundai Sonata commercial where they compare the Hyundai Sonata to the BMW 3 series. You too can save $18000 and get comparable options and festures lol.
Old 06-26-07, 07:57 AM
mandyfig

Marketing guys at work...they think they know what they are doing. Several ads have back fired big time....
Old 07-29-07, 09:59 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RSXF is right. That's life. People judge you on your appearance (how you dress), the car you drive, the woman you're with (if you're a man) and the house/neighborhood you live in.

It's common sense. If you were to hire a new secretary for your office, and there are two PERFECT candidates - one is 700lbs and the other is the hottest thing you've ever seen.. You're telling me you'd hire the obese candidate?

Yes, even YOU are shallow like the rest of the world... And RXSF is right.

Originally Posted by anulex
IMHO everything ele u said is BS. But i TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS QUOTE. Hence the reason y i bought my RX over the Highlander.
Old 07-29-07, 10:01 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you and Anulex here also. Who cares about the price? If the features and everything else match, than Too Bad! You're being compared to the cheapo Hyundai! It's basically the same idea as when the LS400 came to America. Lexus owners laughed at Mercedes owners for paying such a high price for the same damn thing.

Jeez. Reality is such a double-edged sword...

Originally Posted by AM1
i agree with that one. hyundai has said they are adding the nav system with backup camera to the veracruz in the coming months. picking on things like the veracruz doesnt have wood is stupid. i personally hate wood trim in any car including my RX, if i had my choice i would trim the car in carbon fiber or aluminum and get rid of the wood trim. not everyone has the $$ to spend or $$ to waste on a car just cuz it doesnt have a "luxury" label attached to it. man people need to get off their high horse, if automotive journalists whose job is to drive and test cars think its overall better, why the hate? Oh thats right lexus ownrs think they are better then everyone else, right?

Quick Reply: RX looses car comparo to Hyundai Veracruz