RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX looses car comparo to Hyundai Veracruz

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07 | 10:03 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, those ugly Corvettes.. Americans can't do anything right.

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Hyundai is like an American car looks good in the beginning overtime, not really. Lexus RX is not high priced at all imo.
Old 07-29-07 | 10:04 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately, you're right. It's not Lexus' fault. It's today's generation with their lack of respect for anything except video games. Even so, Japan is still doing a good job at making excellent vehicles. We're just seeing it as so BAD because we're not used to, well, Seeing It!

I think Japan will get their hands around the problem and get things back to where they belong. If anyone can do it, it's them...

Originally Posted by AM1
i used to be a strong supporter of toyota and lexus, but with the past two cars i have owned the rx300 and the current rx330 i am very disappointed with toyotas indifference to the build quality of the car. The bad tranny should not be in ANY car at any price, especially a 40K+ plus "luxury" suv. foryour argument that toyota builds great cars, is slowing changing, they have had a lot of quality issues and problems with reliability. IF they can't get build quality and reliability problems down right, what reason would you have to buy one? The whole interior build quality thing, heck audi makes car interiors better, so that argument is pointless also. and if you need a car to make you feel better about yourself or your "standing" in life...............
Old 07-29-07 | 10:05 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Audi makes the interiors that every car make admires. It's the benchmark for all luxury interiors... There's NO. THING. ...cheap about them...

Originally Posted by RXSF
why does everyone say audi's interiors are the best...i personally think they are hideous. it might be ergonomic but that black plastic and the buttons are not classy at all.
Old 07-29-07 | 10:06 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I do believe Hyundai has the ability to catch ANY automobile manufacturer given time - even Mercedes - but what I don't believe they'll EVER get right is customer service...

Originally Posted by The G Man
I happen to like Audi's interior and performance, but its reliability is what drove me away. There is a lot more to a car than just features, if features are all everyone cares about, then Hyundai and Mitsubishi would be the top 2 selling brands. Lexus is in a diff. class because of its built quality, built material, the amount of money spend on research, reliability, customer service, ride comfort, road noise and a bunch of other reasons.
Old 07-29-07 | 10:15 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

In my opinion, the bottom line is - The Lexus RX is, without a doubt, a better vehicle than the Hyundai Veracruz. However, the Veracruz isn't all that far behind AND is a better deal "for the money" if you aren't interested in Vanity..

To say that Hyundai will never catch Lexus sounds as dumb as those twits who used to say Lexus would never catch Mercedes.
Old 07-29-07 | 12:56 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

r hyndias really that gooid of cars good enough to compare themselves to an rx, a landrover, or a 5 series? even if they have all the things that make a good car, can they put it all together in the right package to make it wat its really worth? i guess time will only tell. look at lexus, when it came out, people with mercedes and bmw's at the time would never consider it, now those ppl who would never consider em, now choose the lexus over a bmw or mb, all because they got all the greta elements of a good car and put them together the rite way. so i guess well see
Old 07-29-07 | 05:18 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

The Hyundai Corporation builds practically everything in South Korea.. They're a very competent company.
Old 08-01-07 | 06:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If all you are looking for is gadgets, then the Hyundai is every bit as good as the RX and cheaper too, but we all know there is more to a car than gadgets.
Old 08-01-07 | 06:48 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

If all you are looking for is gadgets, then the Hyundai is every bit as good as the RX and cheaper too, but we all know there is more to a car than gadgets.
I really don't believe that even Hyundai feels they're as good as Lexus. I do feel they're quite confident they're almost on the same level - which is incredible factoring in their price and warranty. It's only a matter of time before they get "everything" right. The thing is... People are beginning to notice...
Old 08-01-07 | 08:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The RX is still the bench mark for luxury crossover. Is Hyundai getting close, yes they are, but it is easy to get close. Hyundai can copy other people's design and learn from the other companies' mistake. Its a learning curve, once you get close, it is very hard to continue to gain.
Old 08-01-07 | 08:53 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

The RX is still the bench mark for luxury crossover. Is Hyundai getting close, yes they are, but it is easy to get close. Hyundai can copy other people's design and learn from the other companies' mistake. Its a learning curve, once you get close, it is very hard to continue to gain.
Hard for some, apparently, but not all.. Consider how miserably Cadillac failed with their CUV. Cadillac of all..

Until yesterday, I believed that Hyundai could be a true competitor with the Hyundai name. However, I don't truly believe that anymore. There's a rumor that Cadillac is pulling out of the full-size vehicle game - and that Buick would be taking over that area. Well, I wondered if I'd really consider a full-size Buick to replace my Cadillac in the future - absolutely not. I feel it's a step backwards.

So yes, the brand is a very important piece of the puzzle. So unless Hyundai starts a separate luxury brand, they will never really steal enough customers from Lexus for anybody to worry about...
Old 08-01-07 | 09:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Rumor has it that Hyundai is working on a luxury brand.
Old 08-01-07 | 09:54 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Rumor has it that Hyundai is working on a luxury brand.
Yeah, I've been hearing that rumor for awhile.. And they deny it.. I really wonder what's going on with that.. If it happens, they're going to steal sales from lots of companies...
Old 08-01-07 | 11:46 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Hyundai's have gotten a lot better, I had one of the sedans for a rental and was surpised at how well it drove. However, IMO the only reason to get the Veracruz over the RX is if you must absolutely have a 3rd row seat, and in that case I'd think the '08 Highlander would be a better choice then the Hyundai. Hyundai was very smart to build it a couple inches bigger then the RX in every dimension in order to let them squeeze in that 3rd row. It seems closer to the GX actually in terms of physical dimensions.
Old 08-01-07 | 02:42 PM
mandyfig

Competition is good. Lexus will likely prevail...let it roll....challenge....when you are on the top....you have to work twice as hard to keep your slot.

Quick Reply: RX looses car comparo to Hyundai Veracruz