RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX looses car comparo to Hyundai Veracruz

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 03:03 AM
norush
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX looses car comparo to Hyundai Veracruz

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ndai_veracruz/

Comparo is not online yet but they site high price, sloppy handling, smaller dims, 5 speed tranny as the reasons for the decision
Old 06-01-07, 06:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You cannot compare the RX with the Veracruz, they are not in the same class, as much as Hyundai wants you to think they are. The Veracruz should be compare to the highlander.
Another point I like to make is that, both the highlander and the RX are in their last year before a re-desgin. While the Veracruz is in its 1st year. To be fair, they should do the comparo next year with the new highlander.
To tell you the turth, for a few hundred bucks more, I would buy the Highlander instaed of the Veracruz.
Old 06-01-07, 06:13 AM
eh0013
Driver School Candidate

When I buy a vehicle, I also take resale value into consideration. I think that if you consider this, the few hundred dollars difference will disappear very quickly.
Old 06-01-07, 06:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Hyundai makes great products no doubt, but I agree Highlander and Veracruz is a better comparison.
Old 06-01-07, 08:03 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While Hyundai now makes a very nice product, it is going to suffer from that "Yugo Syndrome" it earned when it first entered the US market. That's going to affect resale value - and it needs to be a consideration when figuring the overall cost of the car. Unfortunately, too many people have visions of pot-metal fittings and seats stuffed with straw - typical of some early imports - to support good resale values. That will change in time.

Hyundai, Kia, and a number of Korean or Korean content vehicles experienced a lot of teething problems when adapting to the US market. We tend to drive long distances here, at higher sustained speeds. This proved deadly to a lot of small imports including Honda and Toyota - in their initial years (remember the Toyopet?). Most carmakers figure out the problem in a couple of years - others (notably Fiat, Renault, and several other European "mainstream" makes) never did - and gave up their US market. Even Jaguar, up until its transfer to the Ford stable, was a beautiful and expensive hand grenade. Jury's still out on that one.
Old 06-01-07, 09:00 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hyundai have come a long way
Old 06-01-07, 09:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Hyundai have come a long way, but there is a acceleration curve here. Hyundai momentum will slow down in the coming years when they get near the top. In the future, Hyundai will no longer be able to copy other manufacturer’s technology. They will need to spend a lot more on R&D in order to stay near the top.
Old 06-01-07, 10:07 AM
06lx470
Driver School Candidate

man hyundai

MERCEDES IS MUCH BETTER
Old 06-01-07, 10:59 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys should read that new article in the new issues of motor trend. they make a good comparo for the rx and the veracruz limited. but i knew the lexus fanboys will be out for this one.
Old 06-01-07, 11:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Being in Mexico, I have no idea how Hyundai ever managed to attach the name of the wonderful Gulf city of Veracruz to their car. This still leaves me scratching my head.
Old 06-01-07, 11:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
you guys should read that new article in the new issues of motor trend. they make a good comparo for the rx and the veracruz limited. but i knew the lexus fanboys will be out for this one.

I dont think Lexus is worry, more people dont cross shop Lexus and Hyundai.
How long before Hyundai comes out with their own luxury division, My bet is with in the next 5 years.
Old 06-01-07, 11:34 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
You cannot compare the RX with the Veracruz, they are not in the same class, as much as Hyundai wants you to think they are. The Veracruz should be compare to the highlander.
Another point I like to make is that, both the highlander and the RX are in their last year before a re-desgin. While the Veracruz is in its 1st year. To be fair, they should do the comparo next year with the new highlander.
To tell you the turth, for a few hundred bucks more, I would buy the Highlander instaed of the Veracruz.
y cant one compre these two vehicles? oh because not in the same class. WHAT????????? it that the best answer u can find. If they both offfer the same features y not. However, if the Lexus has way more features then i can understand your statement. I think its rather foolish to spend more money for less. If the Highland and the RX350 were exact say vehicle except one had a lexus decal, would anyone here spend the extra 10-15K to Drive a 'LEXUS'? I doubt many of us would. The RX350 offer more features stardard than the Highlander and even offers options that are not available on the highlander. Price does not dictate comparisons, features do.
Old 06-01-07, 11:38 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The Hyundai Veracruz's interior is as Lexus as, well, a Lexus, based on the luxuries in our Limited test vehicle. Senior photographer John Kiewicz notes, "Were you to remove the Hyundai logo from the steering wheel, then look around at the Veracruz's interior, would it make you think you were in a new Lexus? Absolutely."
all i can say is "wtf?". Hyundai doesnt even have nav systems in there car, nor real wood for that matter. anyways, id still buy the lexus, hyundai is way over their heads
Old 06-01-07, 11:41 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If the Highland and the RX350 were exact say vehicle except one had a lexus decal, would anyone here spend the extra 10-15K to Drive a 'LEXUS'?
i definately would buy the lexus if i can afford it. Its all about the money you have on hand. Even though the lexus and the highlander and now the veracruz are close in features, you can match fit and finish, and class. Lets say you have a party at the ritz, are you going to take your highlander or your lexus as you pull up to the valet? I say, if you can afford it, then buy the more expensive one, because in the long run, it will be better. No matter what people say, the first thing they judge you on is how you look, so coming out of a lexus says something about you. thats the harsh reality
Old 06-01-07, 11:49 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
No matter what people say, the first thing they judge you on is how you look, so coming out of a lexus says something about you. thats the harsh reality
IMHO everything ele u said is BS. But i TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS QUOTE. Hence the reason y i bought my RX over the Highlander.

Quick Reply: RX looses car comparo to Hyundai Veracruz