RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 04:50 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I was also suspecting that the noise I was hearing was actually coming from the cross bar. I thought it was the rear wheel bearing....now come to think of it, ot could be the crossbar. I tried adjusting it, it will not budge....anybody have ideas? You are supposed to lift and adjust the tab. I lift and lift but it will not move. Afraid to bust it. I will ask dealer to remove crossbar for me, next time I come in.
Old 06-18-07, 04:56 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I was also suspecting that the noise I was hearing was actually coming from the cross bar. I thought it was the rear wheel bearing....now come to think of it, ot could be the crossbar. I tried adjusting it, it will not budge....anybody have ideas? You are supposed to lift and adjust the tab. I lift and lift but it will not move. Afraid to bust it. I will ask dealer to remove crossbar for me, next time I come in.
You may have already broken those lift tabs on the crossbar already. There was a TSB on them I believe. Mine broke as well, but I sold the car so I never bothered to fix it. Anyway, when you lift that tab, it in turn pulls out a plastic locking pin the allows the cross bar to move. The problem is that locking pin in made of plastic and gets baked in the sun and becomes really brittle. They just crack and then you are no longer able to pull out the locking pins anymore. IMHO, the design is okay, the plastic materials used is a poor choice.
Old 06-18-07, 05:02 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I will complain about it the next time I am at the dealer and maybe they will do something about it. The other thing to is that I noiced that the rack has rusted on some places...I scraped it and painted it, should I complain to the dealer?
Old 06-18-07, 09:53 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh-oh. I think I may have a security problem.

In reading the owners's manual, I saw that in addition to the keys, we were to receive a "key number plate". This is a flat rectangular item that has the key-code information in case the keys are lost or missing. The Lexus dealer did not give us this item (only got two main keys, a valet key, the flat "wallet" key inserted in a card, and two of the dealer's Lexus key rings). When I inquired about this with my salesperson, this was the response:

As for the Key number plate. The wallet key is wedged into the key number plate. If you look at it you'll see your key code on one side and this plate also has the chip built into it. In other words you can use the key to open doors but to start the vehicle you need to put the key in the ignition and hold the plate near it so the vehicle can pick up the code built into the plate. The wallet key is also the key number plate.
This seems like a blatent misrepresentation. There is an illustration in the owner's manual, on page 2, that shows five items, one of which is the rectangular "key number plate". It shows the flat key in its credit-card sized holder, and indeed the key code is printed on it and it has an imbedded chip. However, this does NOT appear to be a replacement for the key number plate, but in addition to it. (The other three items are the two master keys and valet key.)

If I can't get a straight answer from the dealer on its whereabouts, should I be worried? The key number plate could theoretically allow a crooked person at the dealer to use it to copy my key, share it with a thief, and go to its known location and drive off with my car. I know that sounds like paranoia, but I find it a bit unsettling that the salesperson claims that this key number plate doesn't exist when the owner's manual clearly shows that it does.
Old 06-18-07, 10:24 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

roxpert the dealer is telling the truth. you usually dont use that wallet card anyways. its wallet, but it doesnt fit in your wallet.
Old 06-18-07, 10:44 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

I hope you're right, RXSF, but the manual on page 2 clearly shows a separate small rectangular item that it calls a "key number plate". The wallet card is shown separately from it. I am just wondering if the plate has been phased out, and if it has, why hasn't Lexus included a notice to the consumer that this item is no longer separately given out? It clearly was given out at least at some poinnt in time, if the manual is to be believed.
Old 06-18-07, 11:34 PM
RXSF

perhaps the 5 things are japan spec...
Old 06-19-07, 02:09 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure if it applies to all the RX330/350 years, but our 04 RX330 had that small metal key plate. We bought ours new so I recieved everything. 2 main master keys. 1 valet key. 1 wallet key in plastic holder with transponder chip embedded in the plastic holder, AND a little metal tag/plate that had the key code stamped on it. In fact, thanks for reminding me about it. I sold our RX to a friend so I have to give him that key code plate. I'll take a picture of it before I give it to him for proof (Well, the back non stamped side at least).
Old 06-19-07, 02:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
perhaps the 5 things are japan spec...
Perhaps this could be true in a way. Since we are in Hawii, we don't get our Lexus cars though Lexus of America. Our inporter is a local importer called Servco that imports ALL Toyora and Lexus cars directly from Japan. Often we get slightly different packages and we also get a different MSRP, so even though we here in Hawaii have this metal key code plate, maybe the rest of the Nation doesn't get it.
Old 06-19-07, 12:42 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

I found out from Lexus national customer service that, indeed, the car was supposed to come with the key number plate. Our salesperson is proposing ordering the part for us as a solution because she says the original key number plate is "misplaced".

To me, that is an unacceptable solution since the whereabouts of the original key number plate is unknown. Who knows, but it's always possible that some lower level employee (in the parts dept. or some other dept.) opened the box that contained all the keys and owner manuals, and stole the plate. Such person could certainly look up our records on the computer, know where we live, and eventually track down the car and steal it. I know it's far-fetched, but we'd never have total peace of mind since the original plate is missing.

It's as if we bought a brand new luxury home that has electronic locks, and we then find out that the code plate for those locks is missing. I know the first thing I'd do is have the locks and keys all reprogrammed with a new code. Hopefully, Lexus can do likewise and re-code our car's locks and reprogram the keys. Just making a new key number plate is totally unacceptable (plus we already have the key code on the flat key holder so don't really need it).

I'm disappointed that the Lexus Dealer has been sloppy about this and provided me false information yesterday. We'll find out how much they are willing to "pursue perfection" shortly.
Old 06-19-07, 12:56 PM
RXSF

i went to my own manual because ive never noticed that number plate but i do remember seeing it now since i looked at the picture. Usually, they clip it with your keychain of the grey colored keys. Check those. im pretty sure mine is there.

edit: yep i checked my grey keys, and indeed it was keychained into that set.

Last edited by RXSF; 06-19-07 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 01:11 PM
DN328
Driver School Candidate

Roxpert - You are correct and you should have the plate. How much you're at risk, well, I think you layed out the "worst" scenario. Just so you know, manual describing it as a plate is a bit misleading. That is, it's square about the half the size of tab on the can of pop. It's aluminum. When we picked up our car the sales rep threw ours away. I happen to be browsing through the manual while waiting for him to prep some stuff and asked about it. He reached into his garbage and pulled it out .

I am told, not confirmed, that the dealer has the number also in "their system"...so I'm not sure how secured we all are anyone...

Last edited by DN328; 06-19-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 01:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Poxpert, I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. They probably just lost the plate like they said, beside, if someone wants your key number. They would be smarter to just write it down or steal one new keys, not steal the plate. I known a people who took delivery of brand new cars with missing keys, its no big deal, it happens all the time.
Old 06-19-07, 02:41 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

The_G-Man, to the dealer I'm sure my name is "POXpert" at this point because they probably wish a pox on my house by now, LOL. I must seem fussy and demanding, but if Lexus truly is the "relentless pursuit of perfection", then the dealer has fallen short of that standard, first with the roof rack issue (and not telling me beforehand that they can't remove without leaky holes), and then this "misplaced" key number plate. Also, those Bridgestone Alenza tires they added were supposed to come with the manufacturer warranty, and they failed to provide it. They will send me the warranty card (supposedly) by this Friday after my repeated requests.

I'd agree that this key code info might be available in the system or some other way, but I noticed that the flat key card was in a sealed dark blue tinted plastic wrapping. I have to believe that the key number plate was similarly wrapped. Such colored wrapping would make it nearly impossible to read the small code numbers unless they are opened.

At this point, I'm awaiting word from the dealership as to whether they might be able to change the lock code number for my car. Another possible fix is for them to provide me this GPS-tracking "Karr-Track" service they pitched me at the closing. It allows stolen cars to be found using the GPS, but I don't know what it costs. At the very least, they should sell to me at their cost if not provide it gratis.

I know I am making a bigger deal of this than I need to, but one would think Lexus standards would ensure that all items, big and small, that are supposed to come with the car, indeed are included. This one tiny item is something one wouldn't want getting into the wrong hands.

Last edited by Roxpert; 06-19-07 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 03:05 PM
RXSF

roxpert, make sure you read my above comment about them attaching the plate to your grey key keychains. Also, the plate really does nothing, just random numbers that im sure nobody would know what they are used for.

ps. why would you want to remove the roof racks. In my opinion, the car is ugly without them.

Quick Reply: RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!