RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 01:16 AM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kan-O-Z, nice work!

RX350 is still the standard for the smooth ride type luxury crossover SUV

For those Lexus bashers, why not find your own Honda or Hyundai forum?
Old 06-11-07, 03:37 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver

For those Lexus bashers, why not find your own Honda or Hyundai forum?
That is the beauty of an intelligent forum like Club Lexus. We discuss the pros and CONS of our Lexus vehicles. As long as the members here are not breaking any forums rules they are welcome to stay. What good is a fan boy forum if all you hear is the good and not the bad? That is what makes Club Lexus great. Being opened minded and well informed about all the pros and cons makes for a more knowledgeable buyer. No car is perfect so it is reasonable to expect people to not like the RX when it comes to certain issued and preferences.
Old 06-11-07, 06:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

When it comes down to it, the RX is a safer bet. Why do you think there are so many RX out there. It is not because people want to drive a car that everyone else have.
Old 06-11-07, 12:04 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
That is the beauty of an intelligent forum like Club Lexus. We discuss the pros and CONS of our Lexus vehicles. As long as the members here are not breaking any forums rules they are welcome to stay. What good is a fan boy forum if all you hear is the good and not the bad? That is what makes Club Lexus great. Being opened minded and well informed about all the pros and cons makes for a more knowledgeable buyer. No car is perfect so it is reasonable to expect people to not like the RX when it comes to certain issued and preferences.
At least someone here can recognize that lexus cars are not perfect, and that other car manufacturers make good cars too. Sometimes i wonder if people feel that when people say anything bad about lexus cars, especially the RX that they feel its a personal attack on them?
Old 06-11-07, 12:09 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Even Lexus dont think their cars are perfection, their logo is the pursuit of perfection. It doesnt say they have achieve perfection. Of course no car is perfect, its like a perfect woman, it just doesnt exist.
Old 06-11-07, 12:19 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Even Lexus dont think their cars are perfection, their logo is the pursuit of perfection. It doesnt say they have achieve perfection. Of course no car is perfect, its like a perfect woman, it just doesnt exist.
LOL. My analysis of the RX versus MDX was far from perfect too. For example, I never tried to park the MDX in that "tight space" at my office when I test drove it. I just assumed since it was 6 inches wider than the RX, and 4 inches longer, that it would be a risk to maneuver it, but I've seen larger SUVs parked in my garage everyday, and those drivers seem to be doing just fine. My skills as a driver probably are no worse than their's.

Fact is, if it wasn't for this parking/maneuverability issue and the comfort level I've had with Lexus, having owned the RX 300 for the past 8 1/2 years, I may indeed have gone with the MDX. What I would have lost in smoothness and quietness, I'd have gotten back in the newness and techy gadgetry, which I just love.

So, I may be making the "imperfect" decision. But it's MY decision, warts and all!
Old 06-11-07, 12:33 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i own an 03 mdx and an 07 rx350

if you need the space: mdx
if you want a nice ride: rx
if you want a bit more pep and speed: rx
if you need to drive on dirt/gravel: mdx

theyre both great suvs, but the rx is more of a car with a higher suspension while the mdx has more suv characteristics. when i drive the rx hard on corners it feels like its gonna slip or roll over, the mdx feels much more solid during turns. both perform nicely at higher speeds.
Old 06-11-07, 12:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the new MDX is a completely different and tranformed animal than the old MDX. MDX Sport will drive far better than any RX if you want some handling. Size of the RX cant be compared to an MDX, the GX is more of the same size.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 06-11-07 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 01:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The RX is actually a better SUV than the MDX on dirt/gravel. It has a mechanical 4WD system which is far more heavy duty than the electronic 4WD system the MDX has. The MDX does not a lot of ground clearance just the RX, both are not well protected underneath. The new MDX with the sport package handles better than the RX handles down, I never drove the RX with the sport package so I can not compare those two. Those 6 inches in width makes a big diff. in driving around in tight spaces. The MDX with its wide dimension and the paper thin sheet metal makes for a bad combination in tight parking spots.
Old 06-11-07, 05:12 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

...sports package on the RX? thats unheard of. I have the performance package which really does nothing, except for give you air suspension. it feels the same as the regular RX i think...except you get the option to raise and lower the car.
Old 06-11-07, 09:57 PM
RCtennis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
The RX is actually a better SUV than the MDX on dirt/gravel. It has a mechanical 4WD system which is far more heavy duty than the electronic 4WD system the MDX has. The MDX does not a lot of ground clearance just the RX, both are not well protected underneath. The new MDX with the sport package handles better than the RX handles down, I never drove the RX with the sport package so I can not compare those two. Those 6 inches in width makes a big diff. in driving around in tight spaces. The MDX with its wide dimension and the paper thin sheet metal makes for a bad combination in tight parking spots.
I have to disagree with your statement that the RX is a better SUV than the MDX off-road. Just because the RX has a mechanical AWD system doesn't mean it is more heavy duty than an electronic one. However, both have a hybrid mechanical/electronic AWD system. They both have a limited slip center differential, but the MDX also adds a limited-slip rear differential. Electronically, however, is where they differ the most. The RX uses a basic "slip and react" AWD system where the rear axle only gets torque when one of the front wheels begins to slip. Then, torque is varied between front and rear axle until full traction is regained through both front wheels. Then, the AWD system reverts to a full FWD system aka 100:0 split. The MDX uses more of a always on system. When slippage on a front wheel occurs, torque is sent to the rear axle, just like in the RX. However, torque is not just sent to the rear axle during slippage. During acceleration, 70% of torque is automatically sent to the rear axle. During cruising, 10% of torque is continuously sent to the rear axle. During cornering, 50% of torque is sent to the rear wheels, of which 100% can be sent to either the left or right wheel. To sum it up, the RX's AWD system will only react when slippage occurs. The MDX's OTOH is constantly varying torque to both axles and between both rear wheels, even if no wheel is slipping. The disadvantage to the MDX's system though is MPG. Since AWD is always engaged, you're going to get less MPG than the RX.

Also, the old MDX's AWD system (VTM-4) worked pretty much the way the RX's AWD system works. Considering the fact that the MDX is newer to the market, thus having a more sophisticated drivetrain, I'm sure the next RX will come back with a better, more advanced AWD system.

I say this because my mom and I just compared the RX350 to the MDX. Currently, she drives a 2004 MDX and was looking for another SUV. We like the fact that Park Place Lexus of Plano has a much more luxurious dealership than David McDavid Acura of Plano, and that there are more luxury amenities for being a Lexus owner. However, we do like the MDX's technological features better, especially the ELS audio system. Plus, she likes the 7 seats.

In the end, she has decided (thanks to my persuasion) to not go for either. Rather, I've convinced her that, since I'm going off to college in the fall, she should get a luxury sedan that gets much more MPG than any SUV. Hopefully by the end of the month, we will have a brand-new 2007 Lexus IS250.
Old 06-12-07, 05:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I meant to say performance package, not sport package, sorry for the mistake.
Old 06-12-07, 11:05 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCtennis
I have to disagree with your statement that the RX is a better SUV than the MDX off-road. Just because the RX has a mechanical AWD system doesn't mean it is more heavy duty than an electronic one. However, both have a hybrid mechanical/electronic AWD system. They both have a limited slip center differential, but the MDX also adds a limited-slip rear differential. Electronically, however, is where they differ the most. The RX uses a basic "slip and react" AWD system where the rear axle only gets torque when one of the front wheels begins to slip. Then, torque is varied between front and rear axle until full traction is regained through both front wheels. Then, the AWD system reverts to a full FWD system aka 100:0 split. The MDX uses more of a always on system. When slippage on a front wheel occurs, torque is sent to the rear axle, just like in the RX. However, torque is not just sent to the rear axle during slippage. During acceleration, 70% of torque is automatically sent to the rear axle. During cruising, 10% of torque is continuously sent to the rear axle. During cornering, 50% of torque is sent to the rear wheels, of which 100% can be sent to either the left or right wheel. To sum it up, the RX's AWD system will only react when slippage occurs. The MDX's OTOH is constantly varying torque to both axles and between both rear wheels, even if no wheel is slipping. The disadvantage to the MDX's system though is MPG. Since AWD is always engaged, you're going to get less MPG than the RX.

Also, the old MDX's AWD system (VTM-4) worked pretty much the way the RX's AWD system works. Considering the fact that the MDX is newer to the market, thus having a more sophisticated drivetrain, I'm sure the next RX will come back with a better, more advanced AWD system.

I say this because my mom and I just compared the RX350 to the MDX. Currently, she drives a 2004 MDX and was looking for another SUV. We like the fact that Park Place Lexus of Plano has a much more luxurious dealership than David McDavid Acura of Plano, and that there are more luxury amenities for being a Lexus owner. However, we do like the MDX's technological features better, especially the ELS audio system. Plus, she likes the 7 seats.

In the end, she has decided (thanks to my persuasion) to not go for either. Rather, I've convinced her that, since I'm going off to college in the fall, she should get a luxury sedan that gets much more MPG than any SUV. Hopefully by the end of the month, we will have a brand-new 2007 Lexus IS250.
I disagree with you on the RX350 AWD system (actually more of a 4wd system). In the RX, all 4 wheels are driven all the time at a 50/50 split...so no, the RX is not a FWD vehicle until slippage In addition, there were some good updates to the 4wd system in 2007 on the RX350. All of this for only a 1 mpg hit on the fuel economy as compared to the FWD version.

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-12-07, 11:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The new RAV4 uses a electromagnetic clutch rack assembly in the rear just like the MDX. The mechanical system is always better when going off road or if you need to send alot of torque to the 4wd system. The MDX's 4WD system is design for performance and the RX is design for traction.
Old 06-12-07, 12:01 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Default Cnet's Ugliest Cars

Check this out:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4326-13249_7...tml?tag=ss_nxt

Quick Reply: RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!