RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 09:58 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
RX350 is best selling because of Lexus brand and perceived reliability, it is not because of innovation nor performance, neither is a top priority feature by Lexus.
If this was true then why does the Mercedes, BMW, Audi and other luxury marques not have a best selling SUV? Trust me if the RX350 was not as good as it is, it would not be the best selling....it's not the Lexus name that's carrying it as you state.

One thing that Lexus/Toyota does better than anyone is determine the true needs of a buyer for a specific vehicle. Trust me for a luxury SUV, SH-AWD is not at the top of the list as Acura may have you believe...but true comfort, class, fit, finish, and style sure is. Personally I think that most of these vehicles(BMW, Mercedes included) are built for magazine reviews and performance drivers so that they can get a good review in a magazine. I personally think SH-AWD is an oxymoron for an SUV. Fine go ahead and put that system in a true sporting coupe but not a 4500lbs SUV! I mean what's next, a minivan or a school bus with SH-AWD by Acura? Lexus hits the nail on the head when the typical consumer is looking to buy a luxury crossover. That is precisely why the RX is the class leader.

...it is not because of innovation nor performance, neither is a top priority feature by Lexus.
Have you looked at the new Lexus LS lately. If not, you should. I would say nothing in this planet can touch that car in innovation...worlds first 8 speed automatic, worlds first self parallel park system, active safety/accident avoidance systems, fully reclining with leg rest heated/cooled massaging seats, the best audio system in any production vehicle...oh and I forgot a whopping 27mpg even with nearly 400hp and that's not even the hybrid. The LS600h supposedly has the performance of a V12 and the most advanced hybrid system in the world. Did I miss something...I'm sure I did cause the list is ridicoulusly long. Performance is far beyond anything Acura/Honda has in it's lineup besided an NSX. How's that for a little bit of innovation and performance by Lexus

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-13-07, 10:06 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
RX=Lexus=Reliable=outdated technology=minivan

MDX=Acura=Reliable=new technology=questionable styling=X5 competitor

Both are good, pick one.

Personally I like the RX but can't get over the 10 year old styling and technology. The RX, GX, LX, need help. Even the new LX coming out already looks dated.
I don't know if you know this but the RX is really about 3-4 years old, not 10. Of course if you mean that you see the resemblance with the current RX and the initial RX300, get used to it. That's how it's done with the better marques out there...it's 'evolution' not 'revolution' type styling approach. That is why a Mercedes today still has cues from a Mercedes from 30 years ago.

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-13-07, 11:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
I don't know if you know this but the RX is really about 3-4 years old, not 10. Of course if you mean that you see the resemblance with the current RX and the initial RX300, get used to it. That's how it's done with the better marques out there...it's 'evolution' not 'revolution' type styling approach. That is why a Mercedes today still has cues from a Mercedes from 30 years ago.

Kan-O-Z
I find the RX timeless at this point, still looks new and fresh. I think Lexus did a great design with it, much better than the 1RX.

If this was true then why does the Mercedes, BMW, Audi and other luxury marques not have a best selling SUV? Trust me if the RX350 was not as good as it is, it would not be the best selling....it's not the Lexus name that's carrying it as you state.

One thing that Lexus/Toyota does better than anyone is determine the true needs of a buyer for a specific vehicle. Trust me for a luxury SUV, SH-AWD is not at the top of the list as Acura may have you believe...but true comfort, class, fit, finish, and style sure is. Personally I think that most of these vehicles(BMW, Mercedes included) are built for magazine reviews and performance drivers so that they can get a good review in a magazine. I personally think SH-AWD is an oxymoron for an SUV. Fine go ahead and put that system in a true sporting coupe but not a 4500lbs SUV! I mean what's next, a minivan or a school bus with SH-AWD by Acura? Lexus hits the nail on the head when the typical consumer is looking to buy a luxury crossover. That is precisely why the RX is the class leader.

Have you looked at the new Lexus LS lately. If not, you should. I would say nothing in this planet can touch that car in innovation...worlds first 8 speed automatic, worlds first self parallel park system, active safety/accident avoidance systems, fully reclining with leg rest heated/cooled massaging seats, the best audio system in any production vehicle...oh and I forgot a whopping 27mpg even with nearly 400hp and that's not even the hybrid. The LS600h supposedly has the performance of a V12 and the most advanced hybrid system in the world. Did I miss something...I'm sure I did cause the list is ridicoulusly long. Performance is far beyond anything Acura/Honda has in it's lineup besided an NSX. How's that for a little bit of innovation and performance by Lexus

Kan-O-Z
omg, I love your post. I also cannot understand why Acura puts SH-AWD on SUVS first!! THe RDX and MDX have it, 99% of these are just mall SUVs, that is all. They try to market and insist they are so sporty but they are missing the point.

I will say SH-AWD is very nifty (ricer name) and a big advancement for AWD systems. But put it in a sporty car, not a big, tall, heavy SUV. Imagine SH-AWD in a future NSX or a real sporty car. It even misses the point in the RL.

Not sure how anyone can say Lexus is not innovative. HELLO, the RX was the FIRST luxury car based SUV. Even Benz just diteched the truck based ML for something like the RX.
Old 06-13-07, 11:43 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I in no way was saying the RX was not a good buy, but merely pointing out why I chose the MDX over the RX line this time around. I do understand that the '07 RX and on has a larger engine, but that's not necessarily what I'm talking about when I say "sporty".

Just overall for me, the MDX now has better features than the current RX especially when it comes to tech features and whatnot. I do not feel the same sense of luxury from the MDX in my mind, but in reality most (if not all) of that is good branding and marketing in one's mind. I would never put down my experience with Lexus though b/c it was top notch all the way around and the service was better than what I get from Acura right now. However, it's not that big of a deal to me b/c I haven't had to have much service and it's been extremely competant no matter what.

Overall it mostly came down to the fact that I wanted something different from last time ... plus the extras I get in the Acura right now make me glad I purchased it over an '07 RX 350 or RX 400h. Even little things like an iPod jack stick out in my mind.

My MDX looks almost exactly like the bottom photo, but the top one is a better picture. I didn't opt for the roof rack and have the sport rims seen on the bottom photo.

Old 06-13-07, 11:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Husker4the
I in no way was saying the RX was not a good buy, but merely pointing out why I chose the MDX over the RX line this time around. I do understand that the '07 RX and on has a larger engine, but that's not necessarily what I'm talking about when I say "sporty".

Just overall for me, the MDX now has better features than the current RX especially when it comes to tech features and whatnot. I do not feel the same sense of luxury from the MDX in my mind, but in reality most (if not all) of that is good branding and marketing in one's mind. I would never put down my experience with Lexus though b/c it was top notch all the way around and the service was better than what I get from Acura right now. However, it's not that big of a deal to me b/c I haven't had to have much service and it's been extremely competant no matter what.

Overall it mostly came down to the fact that I wanted something different from last time ... plus the extras I get in the Acura right now make me glad I purchased it over an '07 RX 350 or RX 400h. Even little things like an iPod jack stick out in my mind.

My MDX looks almost exactly like the bottom photo, but the top one is a better picture. I didn't opt for the roof rack and have the sport rims seen on the bottom photo.

Great post
Old 06-13-07, 12:28 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Some of you guys had it right. The RX is the relieible house wife you can count on, the MDX is that nice look blond who is a fast woman.
Old 06-13-07, 12:49 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
Some of you guys had it right. The RX is the relieible house wife you can count on, the MDX is that nice look blond who is a fast woman.
HUH? MDX is hardly that nice looking blonde for me...I don't think any SUVS qualify for that....now a Ferrari on the other hand is that supermodel . The MDX is a stocky rugby/wrestler type of woman....

The RX is that pretty wife that doesn't seem to age

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-13-07, 01:27 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

HUH? MDX is hardly that nice looking blonde for me...I don't think any SUVS qualify for that....now a Ferrari on the other hand is that supermodel . The MDX is a stocky rugby/wrestler type of woman....

The RX is that pretty wife that doesn't seem to age

Kan-O-Z
You are smooth.....you get a lot of cookie points, do you?
Old 06-13-07, 01:56 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Kan-O-Z
You read me wrong, Lexus has put innovation in some of its models, just not the RX. This is not a slam on the RX because Lexus has done well in the past, I would not change a thing, i.e. desing as RX a market following product.

However, what has sold well in the past does not mean it will sell well in the future. Many of us are objective (or to other members, critical) to the RX because Lexus' current product strategy.
For example, it is an oxymoron to talk about luxury w/o performance. In fact, major luxury brands almost always put the state-of-the-art features and designs into its premium products. That includes the best engine, transmission, drivetrain, gadgets, safety features etc. I don't think Lexus can afford to give the impression of "we have luxury slow cars", you still see Lexus ads to pimp performance on all models. But with RX, it is empty rhetoric when comparing number and features with models from other brands, as well as with other Lexus models.

Because RX is no longer an industry leading SUV in its class, advanced features and designs go into other Lexus models or implemented by other competing brands first. This is what I mean by Lexus' innovation is not implemented in the RX line.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 06-13-07 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 02:10 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

You read me wrong, Lexus has put innovation in some of its models, just not the RX. This is not a slam on the RX because Lexus has done well in the past, I would not change a thing, i.e. desing as RX a market following product.

However, what has sold well in the past does not mean it will sell well in the future. Many of us are objective (or to other members, critical) to the RX because Lexus' current product strategy.
For example, it is an oxymoron to talk about luxury w/o performance. In fact, major luxury brands almost always put the state-of-the-art features and designs into its premium products. That includes the best engine, transmission, drivetrain, gadgets, safety features etc. I don't think Lexus can afford to give the impression of "we have luxury slow cars", you still see Lexus ads to pimp performance on all models. But with RX, it is empty rhetoric when comparing number and features with models from other brands, as well as with other Lexus models.

Because RX is no longer an industry leading SUV in its class, advanced features and designs go into other Lexus models or implemented by other competing brands first. This is what I mean by Lexus' innovation is not implemented in the RX line.
I can see what you are saying. I will say dont' expect a revolution with every generation Lexus. For instance the new LS is clearly a huge revolution over the 3rd gen. In contrast the 1st gen was a huge revolution and the 2nd gen evolution.

The 1RX was such a hit, the 2RX was evolution, they took what buyers liked and added what they said they wanted. THe 2RX suceeded in every measure. The 2RX might not be super sporty (which is redundant in a SUV ANYWAY) but it sure is sportier than a 1RX to drive.

No one comes close to selling as many luxury SUVs as Lexus with the RX. We are talking over 100,000 sold and this is now a SUV at the end of its product cycle. Lexus knows what people in this class wants. No other Japanese brand is close. They might have a good product or two but overall, their management as no clue.

No innovation? The RX 400h is unlike any other luxury SUV. THere is NO COMPETITON for it, no other luxury brand can figure out how to make a hybrid performance sedan or car.
THAT IS INNOVATION.

Adding an I-pod plug in is not innovation. Making a Hybrid is innovation.
Old 06-13-07, 02:12 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Not the leader in its class? Then which make and model is the leader today, in your opinion? Is it the MDX? The X-5? And how do you define "leader"? If it's by unit sales, I thought the Lexus RX was still leading the pack with over 100k units sold per year (and on pace to do so again in 2007).

Just curious, because I found this statement of yours a little bit shocking. I'd agree that the RX is not the "latest design" in its class, but it's news to me that it's not the leader.
Old 06-13-07, 03:10 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Roxpert
Not the leader in its class? Then which make and model is the leader today, in your opinion? Is it the MDX? The X-5? And how do you define "leader"? If it's by unit sales, I thought the Lexus RX was still leading the pack with over 100k units sold per year (and on pace to do so again in 2007).

Just curious, because I found this statement of yours a little bit shocking. I'd agree that the RX is not the "latest design" in its class, but it's news to me that it's not the leader.
What I mean is major feature and design. None of RX350's major feature are cutting edge. I believe this is done by design by Lexus.

For example, the engine is 2gr-fe, inferior to 2gr-fse, which have twin fuel injection and are offered on lighter GS and IS sedans. Yes I understand RX350 is not designed to go faster than GS/IS but it is designed to haul more people, tow more weight, and take more luggages than a sedan. In addition, RX is heavier and less aero-dynamics, which requires more power to push the same payload. Isn't it more logical to install the most powerful V6, 2gr-fse, into the RX, just to be on bar with what GS/IS has?

Even gadget such as push button start is implemented on the IS first. It makes sense for Lexus to test the water in a younger cliente that tends to be early adopters. Never want to spook RX's more conversative cliente until it is proven. However, this is another example that advanced features and cutting edge technology design are not implemented in the RX line first.

I think there is no question RX has is the volume leader up to now, but the market place has changed since RX was first introduced in 1998. Porsche is making SUV, a move that is unthinkable couple years ago. Will RX be the volume leader 8 years from now by making a market following product?

Last edited by TunedRX300; 06-13-07 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 03:24 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Default Well, it's true......

that the RX doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" of some makes, like the MDX and Infiniti models, but I think that's different than saying it's no longer the leading SUV in its class. A lot more goes into leading a category than whether you have push-button start or MP3-jacks.

As far as the engine is concerned, even though RX hasn't apparently adopted what's in the IS or GS right now, we are comparing to SUVs in its class, not sports sedans. Tests have shown that the current 3.5 liter engine is plenty peppy since the RX has faster acceleration than the MDX does with its 3.7 liter engine. I didn't even know that the RX doesn't have this stronger and newer V-6, and like most RX buyers, I probably wouldn't even care as long as the current engine is giving us more acceleration than peers in the category. So, I don't think this issue tells me it's no longer leading its class.

On tech gadgetry, though, I would agree that the RX is lacking. I had to buy the XM and MP-3 jack installation as extras, something the MDX already comes with as standard. The NAV screen and voice commands of the MDX system seems superior too....you can say "XM 175" and it will go there. I don't think the RX system does that.

Thus, the MDX probably leads its class in tech gadgetry. In my mind, the Lexus RX still leads its class OVERALL, even if the design is "long in the tooth".
Old 06-13-07, 04:05 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Roxpert,
To be more precise, what I meant RX350 is not a market leading SUV, product wise. One example is RIM's blackberry, it is a industry leading wireless product with a good profit margin but RIM can not compete with the sales volume of any mid and low tier cell phone.
You made a good choice for your own needs. Great, as I said before, there is no right or wrong choices, only preference. But even if you compare to 2gr-fe based family sedans such as Camry V6, Avalon, or ES350, RX350 is the heaviest, least aero-dynamic, yet takes more people and payload. There is no secret that if Lexus uses the same engine, RX350 will suffer performance wise.
To me, luxury does not mean lack of performance. It may not bug you but if I upgrade to RX350, I want to at least beat Camry V6.
Also keep in mind that one can not compare 0-60, 1/4 miles of one setup to another. Track condition and more importantly the driver influence these final results. Remember in both measurements 1/10 of a second means a lot. That is why magazine and independent reviewer would do back to back test on the same track, driven by the same driver to yield meaningful comparasions.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 06-13-07 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 04:18 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The front grill is definitely ugly IMHO. I'd probably look to modify it. The gray color bumper is also kind of odd, but like on my RX330, I would color match it anyway so it is no big deal. When I drove behind one I really loved the look from the rear. Low and wide. I know most people buy SUV's for that supposed ground clearance, but I lowered my RX330 and still have more than enough clearance to get where I needed to go since I don't take it off road which I figure most luxury SUV buyers don't either. I also like the RX steering wheel look better. Generally I found the Acura steering wheels to feel better because it feels thicker which I like, but the looks of the MDX and RDX steering wheel are kind of odd looking.

Quick Reply: RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!