RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Coin/Change Holder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 06:59 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Coin/Change Holder?

So, what is everyone doing for a change/coin holder in their RX's? At least on my '05, there is no dedicated space for that. Currently, I throw coins into that door handle area, but after while, they start to jingle and make noise.

Old 06-13-07, 07:50 AM
salimshah

Received 1,062 Likes on 957 Posts

If you happen to visit a botique specializing in personal acessories from Indian Subcontinent, you can purchase a small well padded and usually pretty ornate silk-with-cotton-lining hand bag. These bags are the size of a closed fist and are made to carry beetle nut or cardamoms. They have long strings on the side which are used to open and close the bag.

The bag can be stashed away or hung by the strings. The padding keeps the change from making noise.

Salim
ps:If you know some one from Indian subcontinet ask them about "batwaa" .. pronounced as but-wah.
Old 06-13-07, 09:26 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have seen coin holders at Wallyworld......they are a square with 3 rows of coin holders.......I guess you can put double sided tape on it and stick it some place.......did not pay attention, but will check it out today.
Old 06-13-07, 09:46 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put my coins in a cloth bag and leave it in the center console
Old 06-14-07, 09:03 AM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ziplock bag + center console for me. I think they make a coin holder for the RX330, http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=744
Old 06-14-07, 10:11 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Zip Lock makes sense. I still have to check out Wallyworld.
Old 06-14-07, 11:52 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by darksparkz
Ziplock bag + center console for me. I think they make a coin holder for the RX330, http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=744
That site says the coin holder is for the passenger door only. Since this is a "Toyota Japan RX Change Holder", isn't the steering wheel on the right side of the car (in Japan)? If so, would that not imply that the coin holder is for the driver's side in the U.S.? LOL!

Old 06-14-07, 11:55 AM
NXOwner
Racer

I could probably buy something like this, then velcro it inside the center console.

Old 06-14-07, 05:43 PM
eh0013
Driver School Candidate

Coin holder from Target the size (and shape) of a soda can; black in color. I put it on the driver's side cup holder, center console. It holds (via spring mechanism) quarters, dimes, and nickels. A bottom compartment holds the pennies. The nice thing about this is that you can still close the console lid with it inside. Not quite a snug fit but I don't experience rattles even if I did not use the optional adhesive. It's nice that I still have my window side cupholder and my passenger will still have her console cup holder when she needs it. I hope this helps.
Old 06-14-07, 07:23 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the time EZ Pass is used. However, I keep a few coins for meters or places that don't have EZ Pass in an M&M Minis Tube. It's just the right diameter to fit quarters and smaller coins.
Old 06-14-07, 08:15 PM
kev400h
Driver School Candidate

I'm surprised how Lexus left out such an practical accessory when at the same time they have implemented such sophisticated ones like automatic rear doors and wipers. Now we have to resort to zip lock bags as coin holders, so sad.
Old 06-15-07, 06:45 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 06's and later come with a coin holder that clips in the center console storage box. I mentioned the lack of coin holder in my 05 and the salesman took one from one of the loaners. I notice that none of the loaners have them now so either customers or salepeople have grabbed them all.

I'm guessing this can be purchased but like most things Lexus it probably isn't cheap.
Old 06-21-07, 01:38 PM
asimo
Rookie

i used this coin holder i bought from some chinese gift shop. works good.

In the cup holder. just nice.

Old 06-21-07, 03:41 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm definitely bummed at the lack of more small storage space for stuff like this. I also had to smirk when reading the owner's manual (hey, the stuff we do on a flight from Chicago to Oakland, right?). They give you an overhead cubbyhole perfectly sized for sunglasses...and then tell you not to put anything heat-sensitive, such as sunglasses, in there. Doh!

The coinholder in my '08 is okay, but as anyone who has parked in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, or any of the other high-dollar street parking areas will attest, it's not enough. My old Audi A4 had significantly more storage for stuff like coins, chapstick, parking lot tickets, yada yada.

To me, the perfect spot would be where that sole cupholder sits to the left of the steering wheel. Why not make that a little storage bin instead? Why do we need three cupholders up front? Do I have a latte in one hand and a soda in the other? Marone.
Old 06-21-07, 06:37 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Change? We don't need no stinkin change!

Between EZPass, SunPass and all its cousins, I cannot remember the last time I needed change in the car for any reason. No longer need dimes or quarters for a pay phone as we all carry cell phones now. I do keep a handful of quarters in an Altoids tin inside the center console, however, I have not touched it in years. In some cities, the parking meters also accept electronic payment.

Lexus may have just seen the future and realized this was one thing they no longer needed to provide. Perhaps, such as with the accessory ash tray, Lexus could consider a small snap-in product for those who deem it needed.

Quick Reply: Coin/Change Holder?