RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

MDX vs. RX vs. SRX vs. X5 vs. MKX Consumer Reports, July 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 10:56 PM
LexFather

Exclamation MDX vs. RX vs. SRX vs. X5 vs. MKX Consumer Reports, July 2007

They ranked the Lexus RX and the MDX tops - with the Cadillac SRX in third, BMW X5 fourth and the New Lincoln MKX dead last.

In comparing the RX and the MDX, Consumer Reports stated:

"The RX 350 and MDX also have very different driving characters. Which one is better for you is a matter of personal preference.
The Rx is a luxurious and comfortable vehicle that has always done well in our tests. It new V6 engine delivers the quickest acceleration and the best fuel economy in this group, at 19 mpg overall. But the Rx isn't agile or particularly fun to drive. So drivers who prefer a cushy ride and who don't need seating for more than five might prefer the RX.

The MDX has better handling and a powertrain that feels sportier than the Lexus, but a firmer ride. Some of our staff preferred driving it to the RX. If responsive handling or a third-row seat is a high priority, the MDX might be a better choice for you

1. Lexus RX350
2. Acura MDX
3. Cadillac SRX
4. BMW X5
5. Lincoln MKX

Lexus RX350
Highs: Ride, quietness, acceleration, access, fuel economy, fit and finish, reliability
Lows: Lacks agility

Acura MDX
Highs: Agility, powertrain, ride, fit and finish, front-seat comfort
Lows: Slow rear-view camera, busy dashboard

Cadillac SRX
Highs: Agility, steering, powertrain, ride, rear-seat comfort, regular fuel.
Lows: Uncomfortable seat-mounted safety belts, driving position, emergency handling characteristics, reliability.

BMW X5
Highs: Handling, smooth powertrain, front-seat comfort, fit and finish
Lows: Ride, unintuitive controls and shifter, tiny third-row seat, delay for rear camera, two-step ignition procedure.

Lincoln MKX
Highs: Access, regular fuel, crash tests
Lows: Braking, visibility, switchgear labeling lacks contrast

---

They recommended the Lexus and Acura. The SRX has a fair reliability record and the Lincoln and BMW are too new.

Road test scores:
RX350: 80
MDX: 80
SRX: 69
X5: 67
MKX: 60

Old 06-14-07, 11:04 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have that issue of consumer reports.
Old 06-14-07, 11:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Great showing for the RX as usual. The RX defines this class.

Whats funny is that my aunt just bought the MKX. I got the chance to drive and ride in it and its really not a bad vehicle. Nice interior that actually looks like it wont fall apart in your hand. The grill is ugly as hell, but at night with all the LED's, it looks pretty damn cool. Good power as well. Nice how the worst SUV on this list is still an average performer. Everyone is improving these days.
Old 06-15-07, 02:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This pretty much sums up the reason why that other topic about the MDX vs RX has been going back and forth for so long. Both are great choices for different people. Niether is outright better than the other given different priorities and driving styles and preferences of buyers.
Old 06-15-07, 07:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

According to the MDX forums, the fit and finish on the new MDX is hit or miss.
Old 06-15-07, 07:57 AM
NewEngland
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the old MDX design better...I don't see any interesting in dashboard that look ugly to me.

Last week i drove Q7. I was so surprise about the discomfort seat and the level tire and cabin noise that make me really disappointed. The interior look very impress but the drive is not what i'm looking for. RX, X5 will be my next car....It's hard for me to get away from Lexus if the RX redesign with third row i'll be a first customer in line....
Old 06-15-07, 08:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Both the Audi and the Saab SUV were disappointing.
Old 06-15-07, 11:01 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It new V6 engine delivers the quickest acceleration and the best fuel economy in this group, at 19 mpg overall.
Finally some proof that the RX is indeed the quickest and best fuel economy of the group. This is what I was trying to state in the other 'MDX v. RX' thread but no one believed me

This goes to show what an amazing vehicle the RX is. It's in it's last year about to be replaced and still #1. Wait till the '09 comes out. I'm sure the competition will not be happy.

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-15-07, 04:26 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
Finally some proof that the RX is indeed the quickest and best fuel economy of the group. This is what I was trying to state in the other 'MDX v. RX' thread but no one believed me

This goes to show what an amazing vehicle the RX is. It's in it's last year about to be replaced and still #1. Wait till the '09 comes out. I'm sure the competition will not be happy.

Kan-O-Z
I believe you. The new RX350 uses a new engine design. The J series engines that is used in the Honda/Acura cars are 11 years old. It is nearing its end of its life IMHO. It still gets the job done, but it is time for Honda to come out with a new V6 engine IMHO. Technology advances so much in 10 years. Kind of like how the GS430 engine is pretty ancient and unimpressive compared to the GS350 engine. When a company releases a new engine line, it generally is a better performer than other companies existing or older engines. Too bad companies can't release all their new car designs and engines at the same time. Then you will have a real head to head comparison.
Old 06-15-07, 11:47 PM
Lexwang07

Lexus should offering an RX350 sport package near future. Only lack of Lexus RX350 is sport package. Otherwise, is indeed very nice SUV.
Old 06-15-07, 11:52 PM
Lexwang07

Does an RX350 0-60 mph time under 7 seconds range?
Old 06-15-07, 11:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

There is a sport package for the RX350. Well somewhat. I believe they specifically call it the Performance package?? Adjustable suspension and sequential shift auto tranny.
Old 06-16-07, 10:28 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexwang07
Does an RX350 0-60 mph time under 7 seconds range?
It's right around 7 seconds. The best I have seen is by Car and Driver who tested it at 6.8 seconds. In other tests I have seen 7.0-7.5 sec range. Pretty good for an SUV.

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-17-07, 04:32 AM
BornDriver
Driver

That is exact what I feel after testdrove RX X5 MDX ML350.

We all know RX350 was designed much earlier than most of its competetor. And other manufactures are working hard to make a lot of improvements for their SUVs. However, RX350 is still the best of the best, the standard of this class.

I felt that it is quickest 6-cylinder powered luxury SUV, it is the quietest and it has the best ride quality. The material used is a notch above others also, definetely better than those used in X5,MDX or ML350.
I think it is about the right choice of the owner. Some people want something bigger and have to live with less quality stuff. Nothing is free
Old 06-18-07, 01:26 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

How are the sequential shift tranny? Better because it hides the jerk (as in jerking in motion, not the person)?

Last edited by mandyfig; 06-18-07 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spell

Quick Reply: MDX vs. RX vs. SRX vs. X5 vs. MKX Consumer Reports, July 2007