RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Change just one tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 07:01 AM
dandg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change just one tire?

Bought new MXV4's for our 04 RX330 AWD about 9K ago and now have one with a leak/or hole.Can one tire be changed or will that affect the AWD transfer unit as it does in other AWD cars?I have seen other makes units that where smoked by doing this.
I know its critical that all of them wear evenly and a new tire would be a different tread depth then a worn one.Hate to bite the bullet and buy all four ,again(they where close to $800 !),but if it damages the drivetrain it is the lesser of two evils

Have other AWD RX owners run into this issue?
Thanks in advance
Old 06-18-07, 07:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

9000 miles should be ok, the tires havent worn that much yet.
Old 06-18-07, 07:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I agree you shouldn't have that much of an issue. If you were in Mexico, I would say differently given the roads.

Keep in mind the front tires will wear at a faster rate given weight distribution.

I have had to do this when I had a busted tire once, and did not encounter an issue.

Also, if you haven't done so, use nitrogen in your tires.
Old 06-18-07, 08:25 AM
dandg
Driver

I will have to check to be sure of miles since they where put on it may be a bit more,Gman.I do rotate the tires not quite a 5k but 7500.The road we live on in NH is not very good either Lexmex.You bought a new tire for the one that busted and put it one with the other three worn ones?
Old 06-18-07, 09:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

As long as you buy the same tire, same pattern and design, one that's worn out will not affect performance. Running a bald tire is a safety issue, in terms of blow out, etc.. 9k miles is pretty young, can they plug or patch it? Is it on the sidewall, or do you even know?
Old 06-18-07, 10:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dandg
I will have to check to be sure of miles since they where put on it may be a bit more,Gman.I do rotate the tires not quite a 5k but 7500.The road we live on in NH is not very good either Lexmex.You bought a new tire for the one that busted and put it one with the other three worn ones?
That's right. What I did was put it on the driver's side front. Given my weight and being the front of the car, it would get faster wear and also better for vehicle balance, given my weight shifts the car a little to the left.

I also wondered about mandyfig's question. Normally, then can 'worm' a tire if not on the sidewall (they can patch these).
Old 06-18-07, 10:41 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Or, bring out the spare and patch the one with leak and put away as spare. I would also check the spare tire pressure frequently to ensure the patch is good.

You will not only save money, but also help the environment].

Salim
Old 06-18-07, 10:51 AM
mandyfig

I forgot the spare, yes, Salim's right again!
Old 06-18-07, 11:12 AM
dandg
Driver

Wife has car and I will check miles and pressure tonight.It lost 5lbs in two days over weekend and was low this morning.I looked it over and could not see a puncture but will have more time this evening.
The spare was the best of the 5 when I bought new ones earlier this year so thats out.There must be some sort of "tread depth variance" scale to insure no damge to transfer unit.I will say the ones I have seen go bad are Dodge/Chy AWD and Jeep AWD units,in one case same size tire but different brand was enough to smoke the unit.Way lower quality cars but still same concept at work in drivetrain.
I don't mind one tire replaced but to have to do all 4 again would not be fun.
Old 06-18-07, 04:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dandg
Wife has car and I will check miles and pressure tonight.It lost 5lbs in two days over weekend and was low this morning.I looked it over and could not see a puncture but will have more time this evening.
The spare was the best of the 5 when I bought new ones earlier this year so thats out.There must be some sort of "tread depth variance" scale to insure no damge to transfer unit.I will say the ones I have seen go bad are Dodge/Chy AWD and Jeep AWD units,in one case same size tire but different brand was enough to smoke the unit.Way lower quality cars but still same concept at work in drivetrain.
I don't mind one tire replaced but to have to do all 4 again would not be fun.
I pulled a small clip from my tire on Saturday night, no leak, but had to spray some water on the tire in the area to see if it was losing, but fortunately nothing.
Old 06-18-07, 04:47 PM
mandyfig

dandg, have you tried soapy water? Spray soapy water and find out where the leak is.
Old 06-19-07, 02:56 AM
dandg
Driver

Hi guys,
thanks for the idea.I will try the soapy water it this morn if I can before she leaves.I checked and there are 13k miles on them,it goes by faster than you think.
Old 06-19-07, 10:17 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

test out the fill valve and stem area too. Other than penetration by nail etc, this is the weakest point.

Salim
Old 06-19-07, 01:31 PM
DN328
Driver School Candidate

dandg - If you're not comfortable with the options of reparing the tire, reparing AND swapping with spare wheel, another option would be to buy two new tires rather than four. You could put the new ones on on the same axle - front or back.

Personally, if the tire can be fixed I would do that. Not about the money, but I think it's very low risk (assuming the tire is fixed properly of course and no defects).
Old 06-19-07, 06:17 PM
mandyfig

2 new ones work, better than springing fo 4. Keep the one good one for later use.....if you have the space...

Quick Reply: Change just one tire?