RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

NO Oil change in more than 9 months..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 06:44 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As I posted before, levels of acid neutraliation additives in dino oil are often too low before 5K is reached because xmz-fe engines' hot cam head temperature. If you don't believe me, send a 5w-30 used dino oil sample to a lab and read TBN and viscosity results, you will see what I am talking about.
Old 06-29-07, 05:31 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I am changing @ 4k, as of today!
Old 06-29-07, 05:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I always change my oil between 3 to 4K or 6 months, but I dont drive alot of miles, so its easy. I use to drive 20K a year, I used synthetic oil and change it every 5K to 6K miles.
Old 06-29-07, 06:11 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
For other folks that do not believe when I say 5K on dino, 7.5K on synthetic is too long for 3mz-fe. This RX330 owner used Mobil 1 5w-30 Extended Performance oil that is supposed to go 15K miles (e.g. beefier additives pack than the regular Mobil 1). He barely get out of 7-8K out of the oil. If he used the Mobil 1 5w30, oil is depleted before 7k for sure.
Just a note, most grades of Mobil 1 (including all grades of Extended Performance) are NOT a true synthetic. Their base is Group III, which is a modified or hydrocracked mineral (dino) oil. To this a VERY small amount of Group IV or PAO (synthetic) oil is added. In the US, however, it is perfectly legal (due to a court decision) to refer to the much less-expensive Group III as synthetic. In most other countries it is not.

By contrast, the top-rated synthetics--Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, Motul, etc--are all made from Group IV or sometimes Group V (synthetic Ester) base stocks. These are the TRUE synthetics, and in many cases carry only a very small premium over Group III-based oils such as the "synthetics" from Mobil, Castrol, Penzoil, etc.
Old 06-29-07, 10:34 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Just a note, most grades of Mobil 1 (including all grades of Extended Performance) are NOT a true synthetic. Their base is Group III, which is a modified or hydrocracked mineral (dino) oil. To this a VERY small amount of Group IV or PAO (synthetic) oil is added. In the US, however, it is perfectly legal (due to a court decision) to refer to the much less-expensive Group III as synthetic. In most other countries it is not.

By contrast, the top-rated synthetics--Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, Motul, etc--are all made from Group IV or sometimes Group V (synthetic Ester) base stocks. These are the TRUE synthetics, and in many cases carry only a very small premium over Group III-based oils such as the "synthetics" from Mobil, Castrol, Penzoil, etc.
Correct, I am using the term synthetic as it is allowed in the U.S. because most people don't know most "synthetic" motor oils they bought over the counter are Group III dino aka fake synthetic.
As for me, I use German Castrol and Mobil 1 0w-20 SL oil. Both are PAO based. In case of M1 0w-20, it is formulated before the Mobile's alleged decision to use Group III last year.
Old 06-29-07, 12:08 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

We use Royal Purple at work, that stuff is simply amazing.
Old 06-30-07, 03:53 PM
arnoldslex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Mobil 1 for 8000 total.
Change the filter and add 1 qt only at 4000 and change the oil at 8000.
Did this on most of my cars. Had a 94 MX6 LS V6 and did this method and it now has 200000 miles. I sold it to my sons buddy who thinks it is the Fast and Furious and races it all the time. It still runs fairly good, he tells me how he shifts at 7000 rpm all the time. I think that is a good testamant to doing this?

There is also study out there that they took Mobil 1 and ran it I believe for 25000 miles without changing it. This was no bias test by the way. They said that when they change the filter and added the quart the quart re-upped the detergents and so forth and actually the oil did was better than new. The conclusion was that the base oil did not break down it was all the additives that did. But by adding the new quart every 3000 miles it restored them the additives and the 25000 miles would be fine to do.

It is not a time thing it is a mileage thing!
Old 07-02-07, 01:26 PM
mandyfig

That's the 1st I have heard of, replace filter mid-way and add a Quart. Means 2 filters per oil change? I have been changing oil for a long time, this is the 1st I have come across this.
Old 07-05-07, 11:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

That was advertisment from Amesoil. They say you can save money by changing just your filter and topping off. Personally, if I were going to change the filter, might as well do the oil too. With synthetic, you can go a little longer between oil changes, but 25000 miles is a big no no.
Old 07-05-07, 12:07 PM
mandyfig

I am with you....4.5K oil changes, the way to go with dino oil.
Old 07-05-07, 12:32 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mandyfig
That's the 1st I have heard of, replace filter mid-way and add a Quart. Means 2 filters per oil change? I have been changing oil for a long time, this is the 1st I have come across this.
A new filter plus topping off with fresh oil will give you 25% more mileage out of old oil. Problem is most people would just change oil since you are 75% there already.

Major benefits are environmental friendly and less wear on the engine. Yes, if you let oil age a little, wear metal in PPM will decrease per 1000 miles driven. This is no BS, see below results from lab reports.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html is a link for an independent study result, using Used Oil Analysis reports. Keep in mind this study is for older formulation of Mobil 1 on a LS-1 engine.

Topping up the crankcase is a critical component of extended oil change intervals, and frequent filter changes are most likely the key to extreme-length intervals. The cumulative effect of even minor top-ups, let alone a filter change, substantially increases the longevity of the oil.
Here is the benefit I mentioned, backed up by a graph of actual spectrum analysis results.

Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it.
Old 07-05-07, 12:59 PM
mandyfig

Wow, looks convincing to me. Replace filter and top off every 4k. And on 8k replace oil and filter. Worth a try.
Old 07-05-07, 01:21 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Wow, looks convincing to me. Replace filter and top off every 4k. And on 8k replace oil and filter. Worth a try.
Be careful to apply those mileages that are tested as safe change intervals to RX because both oil and engine do not apply to RX300/330. However, the effects of oil filter change and topping off should apply.
Be very careful with xmz-fe engines, be conservative. I do my own UOA just to make sure. I posted one in the maintenance forum, but I caution not to apply my result to everyone else, again be conservative.
If you wants to make sure what is good for you, spend $20 to get a report for you driving style and favorite oil...

Last edited by TunedRX300; 07-05-07 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 01:34 PM
mandyfig

Can you give me the details of where to send the oil for analysis? And any recommended intervals I should try? Thanks.
Old 07-05-07, 02:18 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

You may send your used oil sample to either Blackstone Labs or Oil Analyzer. For $20 to $30. a lab will give you spectrum analysis of wear metals and Total Base Number. It is not hard to learn to read them and if you can save one oil change, you break even. More importantly, you gain information for your driving style and your car. For example, if your drain interval is too long, the lab will tell you to shorten up to a recommendated mileage.

The link I provided above actually did not report very positively Amsoil's oil. So not all people doing UOAs are Amsoil dealers.

Quick Reply: NO Oil change in more than 9 months..