RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Springs - taking the plunge

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 09:09 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Springs - taking the plunge

So, after hunting and hunting for feedback on the TTE springs...and not gaining much...I've decided to be the guinea pig. I took advantage of Sewell's great RX101 discount code. Four springs + shipping came to $242. After mulling it over for a few days I decided this was a risk I could afford to take.

I really like the look of a lowered vehicle, and I'm certainly considering this a cosmetic mod...any handling improvement will be a bonus. My only real concern is how dramatic the ride quality hit will be. On the minimal feedback I've read...that effect seems to be, well...minimal. If so, they'll stay...and I've already got my eyes on a set of 19" rims that may be added. If the ride quality is unbearable, I'll go back to stock height, skip the wheels, and dump the springs on eBay. I figure my loss will be the $242, another ~ $200 in alignments, and two weekend mornings in the driveway. Certainly not cheap, but again - it's a risk I'm comfortable taking in hopes the springs live up to or even exceed expectations.

For anyone interested, I'll keep you posted...
Old 07-02-07, 09:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Take before and after pics. Or else, go for the DIY with pics.
Old 07-02-07, 10:48 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let us know how hard it is to install. i thought about doing that also.
Old 07-03-07, 05:42 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

DIY, DIY....please. It will help most of us who are thinking about it.
Old 07-03-07, 07:34 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

That's certainly my first plan. However, I'll be out of town starting next week, at about the time the springs will likely arrive. I may have a local shop do the install since they're very familiar with this type of job (meaning they can do it on the cheap), and they'd be doing the alignment anyway. It'd save me a few hours in the driveway and a 20-mile unaligned drive to the shop. If I can work out the logistics - including their labor charge - I'll likely go that route. Otherwise, I'll do a how-to when I get back in town on the weekend of the 21st.
Old 07-03-07, 10:58 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which shop?
Old 07-09-07, 03:59 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Auto Plus on Mission in Daly City. It's a small shop, and even though it's only a couple of minutes from work I only know of them through some friends who drive Mercedes and Audis. Although they specialize in Deutsche vehicles, I figured what the heck....the springs are from Europe. Heck, even the manual for them is in German.

Last edited by VroomVroom; 08-13-07 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 04:39 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on a few RX300's feedback on springs, the ride quality will not suffer since the fender gap is huge (>3"), lower it by a little over 1" won't matter. But handling improvement will be noticeable.
You may choose to a tire with larger than stock diameter to close the gap further, plus getting more actual miles out of warranty and less depreciation. I am sure you know the trade-off of losing a little torque and lentheng braking distance. However, those negatives can be gained back with upgrade brake pads and an simple bolt-on intake/exhaust.
Good luck, looks like a good mod.
Old 07-10-07, 06:49 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Installation of coil springs is pretty easy if you have the right tools. Mostly you need a spring compressor. Since I'm used to working on much more lowered cars with less space, when I did my spring swap it was much easier being that the wheel wells are so large and there is a lot of working space. If you did one coil over strut install they are almost all the same. Basic tools will get the strut combo off. Then, you just need the spring compressor to compress the coil so you can safely remove it from the stut. After that, just put everything back in reverse order. Make sure you torque the bolts back to the right value. I don't have them off hand as I just downloaded the applicaple service manual pages that I needed at the time and printed them out.

A comment on the brakes. Believe it or not, when I put on my 20" rims, I didn't notive much of any degration in brake performance. I did; however, notice the reduce torque feel and acceleration, but within a few days you get used to it.
Old 07-10-07, 07:51 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Yes, I installed H&R springs and Bilstein shocks for my other car and never ran into any problem with Autozone loaner spring compressor.
What tire size do you installed on those 20" rims? I installed 235/60/18 tires when I upgrade from OEM 16" rims, I did not feel as much torque but that 3% increase in diameter could be easily felt on braking. I guess we are picky on different things
Afterward, I installed Rotora 4 pot BBK, so I get my braking performance back.
Old 07-10-07, 09:35 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

The brake issue is really subjective. I think a lot depends on driving style and traffic conditions in your neck of the woods. I put 22's on my old Denali and instantly realized that a BBK was necessary. That's the SF bay area for you. Other folks insist that their trucks brake just fine with 24's and 26" wheels.

Anyway, this is an install I really wanted to do myself, but the timing just didn't work out. I got a really great quote from a respected shop, and probably would've gone to them for the alignment anyway, so I decided to go the route of instant gratification. It's in there right now, and I hope to have some feedback...and pics this evening.

If anyone is curious, I did call two local dealers to see if they were interested in the job. Serramonte Lexus...

"We don't install aftermarket parts."

"Ahh, okay, but as I said, these are Toyota products."

"We don't install aftermarket parts."

Putnam Lexus was more than willing to do the job. At 1.5 hours...per corner. And $200 for an alignment. Grand total: $934. For the record, AutoPlus is charging me quite a bit less than half that amount.
Old 07-10-07, 09:49 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

$934, you can drive to SoCal for a getaway and still be ahead. This shop installs all four corners for $249, including 4 wheel alignment. I installed my BBK here, they hand torque lug nuts, took their time to get the job done right for a flat instead of hourly fee.
http://www.ef1motorsports.net/index....owse&pageid=83

On the torque, I forgot to mention that I had SSR forged 18" rim with Pirelli 235/60/18 tires. I did not experience torque loss because one 18" SSR weights 15.5 lbs, the OEM alloy 16" weight 26 lbs. It must more than make up the bigger diameter.

My wife also felt the weaker brake, so it is not just me being extremely picky. Again, nothing can't be corrected. And if your tire diameter decreases, you gain on braking performance.
Old 07-10-07, 11:02 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after pics?
Old 07-10-07, 04:03 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Just got back from the shop. As expected, the install went great and there were no issues with the alignment. No headlight idiot lights, but I do have 'em on 'Auto' so the jury is still out. Based on everyone's feedback, I don't expect any issues with the leveling system.

My initial impressions - emphasis since we're only talking about a 1.1 mile drive back to the office: The look is subtle. Very much so at the wheel wells, but for anyone who knows these vehicles it definitely stands shorter. Getting in and out is where the difference is really noticeable. Honestly, I was hoping for a bit less gap in the wheel wells, but I also knew coming in that 30mm isn't a lot of drop. I'm not sure how much - if at all - they'll settle over the next few weeks.

Ride quality is definitely more firm. Keep in mind I drove a short distance and never got over 35mph. So, I'm not sure if it's good or bad that I noticed this. I wouldn't say it's harsh, but I definitely need more wheel time. However, handling is significantly more tight - I was very impressed at the difference. Obviously I'll be interested to gauge the difference at higher speeds and on more exciting roads, but my first impression is that the handling benefits are much stronger than expected.

Last edited by VroomVroom; 08-13-07 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-10-07, 04:10 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

[Sorry...pics removed.]

Last edited by VroomVroom; 08-13-07 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Springs - taking the plunge