RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

PCV valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 06:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I will keep that in mind.
Old 04-26-10, 06:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
Most any type of degreaser will work to clean a PCV valve.

Thats Harsh stuff,you dont want to use that in your pcv system,or any where else in the air intake system.
Old 04-26-10, 06:42 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

And the cost of a new PCV is very reasonable.
Old 04-28-10, 07:30 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114

Thats Harsh stuff,you dont want to use that in your pcv system,or any where else in the air intake system.
Your not putting it into the PCV system just cleaning the PCV valve. You just let it dry then reinstall.
Old 04-29-10, 06:55 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
Your not putting it into the PCV system just cleaning the PCV valve. You just let it dry then reinstall.
you know what they say? their is a proper tool for every job right? you dont use a screw driver to drive in a nail do you? My point being (in case you dont get it) is their are proper cleaners for things like the pcv valve that you should use.
Old 04-29-10, 01:46 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

While cleaning the pcv valve won't hurt, the other thing to be concerned about is the spring inside that seats the ball that stops air flow. Eventually, this spring weakens and you don't get a good seal. You can try blowing through the valve after you clean it. air should flow when you blow one way, but none should flow when you blow through the other side.

The PCV valve is not that expensive and fairly easy to replace - I wouldn't bother with cleaning it. FWIW, I've also found that the dealer part is 'usually' built better than an aftermarket piece (i.e. metal body instead of plastic etc.).
Old 04-29-10, 02:14 PM
968racer
Driver

Originally Posted by rcy
While cleaning the pcv valve won't hurt, the other thing to be concerned about is the spring inside that seats the ball that stops air flow. Eventually, this spring weakens and you don't get a good seal. You can try blowing through the valve after you clean it. air should flow when you blow one way, but none should flow when you blow through the other side.

The PCV valve is not that expensive and fairly easy to replace - I wouldn't bother with cleaning it. FWIW, I've also found that the dealer part is 'usually' built better than an aftermarket piece (i.e. metal body instead of plastic etc.).
Agree. Again, it's a $6 part. Also since this system passes moisture, the spring will rust. The Beck Arnley is also metal & appears to be zinc plated.
Old 04-29-10, 04:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 968racer
Agree. Again, it's a $6 part. Also since this system passes moisture, the spring will rust. The Beck Arnley is also metal & appears to be zinc plated.
Same with NAPA's brand part. I think the FRAM, however, it plastic.
Old 04-30-10, 11:31 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rcy

Agree, good point. I'll stop by autozone/napa to look for the metal PCV valve.
Old 04-30-10, 05:06 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
you know what they say? their is a proper tool for every job right? you dont use a screw driver to drive in a nail do you? My point being (in case you dont get it) is their are proper cleaners for things like the pcv valve that you should use.
I'm not sure what the proper cleaner is could you tell me? I've been cleaning PCV valves for over 38 years with every thing from throttle body cleaner as mentioned in my original post to gasoline, trichlorethelene and brake cleaner and never had any problems.
Old 05-17-10, 06:46 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can some confirm this pcv toyota part # 12204-20040 for 2006 rx330 ? thanks.
Old 05-21-10, 06:30 AM
vertresq
Driver School Candidate

I can't confirm the part number as I got mine from Napa and replaced it last night. I'm glad I did. I bought a 2004 with 64K miles on it in December. Serviced at a Lexus Dealership 100% before I bought it. I couldn't believe the condition the PCV valve was in. The new one had the piece that moves in and out and it was visible when I took it out of the box. The old one, I could hear something rattlilng around in there, but cound't see anything, so I'd say it was past time for this. Only took approximately 10 mins with a 19mm wrench. Thanks guys for the information to perform this simple fix!!
Old 05-21-10, 08:53 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertresq
I can't confirm the part number as I got mine from Napa and replaced it last night. I'm glad I did. I bought a 2004 with 64K miles on it in December. Serviced at a Lexus Dealership 100% before I bought it. I couldn't believe the condition the PCV valve was in. The new one had the piece that moves in and out and it was visible when I took it out of the box. The old one, I could hear something rattlilng around in there, but cound't see anything, so I'd say it was past time for this. Only took approximately 10 mins with a 19mm wrench. Thanks guys for the information to perform this simple fix!!
Thanks. Where is the pcv located ? is it vertical position i mean 6 to 12 clock near the wall little above the lexus cover ?
Old 05-21-10, 12:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ycl1688
Thanks. Where is the pcv located ? is it vertical position i mean 6 to 12 clock near the wall little above the lexus cover ?
The picture found on the first page of this thread is best for describing the location. Once you take the engine cover off you should have no problems finding it.
Old 05-21-10, 12:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vertresq

Had always been told that if you can hear the parts moving in the PCV valve it was probably still good. Was when it was silent that it was time to replace. Still, for 10 minutes and a $6 part from NAPA preventative maintenance such as this is a no brainer.

Quick Reply: PCV valve