RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Water inside headlamp assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 11:29 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Unhappy Water inside headlamp assembly?

So, I'm washing my RX today and noticed afterwards that the right headlamp assembly was "fogged up" (moisture/condensation build-up) under the glass housing. It was like a bathroom mirror after taking a hot shower.

I've never seen this before, so I assume this is not normal? The lights still work, but now I'm concerned about corrosion on the electrical contacts, etc.

It's all under warranty, so I guess I should take it in, eh?

Old 07-07-07, 12:37 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well known problem of long standing on the RX and SC. Should be replaced in warranty. Many, many, other accounts of this - use advanced search function to look for headlight, condensation in the RX forums.
Old 07-07-07, 11:29 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have been watching out for my headlights, too. Better find out before the warranty expires.
Old 07-07-07, 04:51 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lexus changed mine even when i was out of warranty. thats lexus service for you
Old 07-07-07, 05:54 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by RXOwner
So, I'm washing my RX today and noticed afterwards that the right headlamp assembly was "fogged up" (moisture/condensation build-up) under the glass housing. It was like a bathroom mirror after taking a hot shower.

I've never seen this before, so I assume this is not normal? The lights still work, but now I'm concerned about corrosion on the electrical contacts, etc.

It's all under warranty, so I guess I should take it in, eh?

Replaced twice under warranty.

I notice that if you shoot water (a lot of pressure) onto the front quarter panel toward the headlights, that's when it leaks in. I try to shoot the headlights head-on, direct from the front of the car, if not with very little pressure from the side.
Old 07-08-07, 03:04 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by RXSF
lexus changed mine even when i was out of warranty. thats lexus service for you
Awesome, that's nice. Which dealer was this?
Old 07-08-07, 06:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't count on them to change them out after warranty or even within warranty. My guess is because so many Lexus cars are affected by condenssation in the headlights (RX, GS, SC) that some dealers are just telling customers that it is normal and refusing to replace them.
Old 07-08-07, 07:25 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Don't count on them to change them out after warranty or even within warranty. My guess is because so many Lexus cars are affected by condenssation in the headlights (RX, GS, SC) that some dealers are just telling customers that it is normal and refusing to replace them.
My response would be, "yeah, but if this was 'normal', both headlamp assemblies would exhibit this condensation."

If that doesn't work, then the regional office would need to be notified, I'm thinking.

Old 07-08-07, 07:35 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

trust me, they will change it.

this was Lexus of Serramonte.
Old 07-08-07, 09:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXOwner
My response would be, "yeah, but if this was 'normal', both headlamp assemblies would exhibit this condensation."

If that doesn't work, then the regional office would need to be notified, I'm thinking.

Don't worry, eventually both side will have condensation I had both mine replaced about a month apart.

Don't get me wrong. I fully expect and believe Lexus should replace these lights under warranty. However, just look at the past problems some CL members had getting them replace at their local dealerships on other sub forums like the GS forum and such. If you have a dealership that will replace them great. Fortunately mine was one of them. If you have one that doesn't want to do it, you will have to fight for it and that makes life hearder.

So far, only my 99 LS hasn't seen any condensation. Every other Lexus I had in the past developed some sort of moisture though.

PS. Some of the latest postings I've been reading is some dealers are saying if the condensations clears within 5 minutes after the lights are turned on, they consider that normal and will not replace it. If moisture is still there after 5 minutes, they will replace it.
Old 07-09-07, 08:06 AM
mandyfig

There should have been a TSB on this one. But we all know they are expensive. Whoever makes them for Lexus should be on the suspended list by now. Headlights are quite tricky to mold!
Old 07-09-07, 04:41 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
There should have been a TSB on this one. But we all know they are expensive. Whoever makes them for Lexus should be on the suspended list by now. Headlights are quite tricky to mold!

It has been going on in various Lexus cars for well over a decade, so I doubt Lexus is concerned enough about the problem. Again, to them it is probably normal and those of us complaining are crazy
Old 07-09-07, 08:34 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Stand your ground, boys & girls! You paid a lot of $$ for your vehicle; you should get what you want and what is right.
Old 07-10-07, 06:22 AM
mandyfig

Keep it within the warranty period, cleaner that way. So, pay attention, or simulate the condensation.
Old 07-11-07, 03:58 PM
flintRX04
Driver School Candidate

I experienced water codensation in my driver side headlight assembly and was ready to take it to the dealer for warranty. But under closer examination I had a small crack on the top (must have been from a rock). The dealer will not replace it due to damage similar to getting a flat tire from running over a nail. So I went out and got a new headlamp assembly and swamped it out. Man it was a pain in the but without instructions but I got it done and it looks and performs like new. This included swamping out the HID ballast and other bulbs. Make sure you get the right headlamp cause there are a bunch of different ones, i.e. HID, non-HID, AFS, non-AFS, and self leveling. If your not sure just provide them with your VIN# to make sure you are getting the right one. Let me know if anyone needs any helping removing their headlight and I will try to provide you some detailed directions. Most of the instructions on the web were not very helpful or did not fully explain how to remove certain pieces.

Quick Reply: Water inside headlamp assembly?