RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lowered RX owners please check in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 09:27 PM
asianrage
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered RX owners please check in!

Can you tell me about your experience with your lowered RX?

Spring choice? Any regrets? Noticeable side effects?
Old 07-07-07, 09:38 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I think I wouldn't give a car that look, maybe young kids may like the look but i am too old for that look

I have to admit that I was thinking about making the rear higher and the front lower to improve gas mileage. with a high rear and a low front the car would always be traveling down hill.

Last edited by Lexmex; 07-07-07 at 09:53 PM. Reason: language
Old 07-07-07, 09:56 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, if you wanted a lower RX, you shoulda went for the performance package like I did. Its great to have that air suspension that i can set on low. Id imagine it has made the handling better since there is a lower center of gravity
Old 07-07-07, 10:12 PM
asianrage
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
Well, if you wanted a lower RX, you shoulda went for the performance package like I did. Its great to have that air suspension that i can set on low. Id imagine it has made the handling better since there is a lower center of gravity
I wanted the air suspension package, but the cars in our region seems to not have them unless it's a special order.
Old 07-07-07, 10:15 PM
asianrage
Driver

Originally Posted by silvervett
I think I wouldn't give a car that look, maybe young kids may like the look but i am too old for that look

I have to admit that I was thinking about making the rear higher and the front lower to improve gas mileage. with a high rear and a low front the car would always be traveling down hill.
I certainly wouldn't want a "raked" look to the RX. Beside the available setup doesn't lower the car anymore than 1 inch. And it'll be mostly for better handling. I drove my brother's 07 MDX and it's the sporty and balanced SUV I've ever driven. I want my RX to share some of that trait.
Old 07-07-07, 10:32 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by asianrage
I certainly wouldn't want a "raked" look to the RX. Beside the available setup doesn't lower the car anymore than 1 inch. And it'll be mostly for better handling. I drove my brother's 07 MDX and it's the sporty and balanced SUV I've ever driven. I want my RX to share some of that trait.
I guess you missed the joke. Think about what I said again, with the back high and the front low the car is always going downhill and you always get better gas mileage going down hill (JOKE)

PS I have no problem with lowered cars but the ones where they go to the extreme by switching to smaller wheels to the point where the car almost scrapes the ground is just too ghetto for my tastes

Last edited by silvervett; 07-07-07 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-07-07, 10:51 PM
asianrage
Driver

Originally Posted by silvervett
I guess you missed the joke. Think about what I said again, with the back high and the front low the car is always going downhill and you always get better gas mileage going down hill (JOKE)

PS I have no problem with lowered cars but the ones where they go to the extreme by switching to smaller wheels to the point where the car almost scrapes the ground is just too ghetto for my tastes
Old 07-08-07, 07:28 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree about the MDX - it was a very impressive machine, handling much better than my old Denali with a 2/3 drop and Eibach anti-sway bars...which prior to the MDX was the nicest handling SUV I'd driven. an X5 it wasn't, but the feeling of confidence in the twisties and in emergency maneuvers was sweet. And freeway onramps...a thing of joy.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. I just bought the TTE 30mm springs and with any luck will have them on late next week. (I'll actually be in Hawaii, but a buddy is taking the car to a local shop for me.) So, if you don't mind waiting until the 21st or so I'll have some feedback to offer.
Old 07-08-07, 11:09 AM
RXSF

actually silver, your on to something. With the air suspension, the front lowers by like an inch and the rear half an inch to provide for better highway fuel economy.
Old 07-08-07, 12:15 PM
asianrage
Driver

actually silver, your on to something. With the air suspension, the front lowers by like an inch and the rear half an inch to provide for better highway fuel economy.
Do you have any pics of it in the lowered setting?
Old 07-08-07, 12:16 PM
asianrage
Driver

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
I agree about the MDX - it was a very impressive machine, handling much better than my old Denali with a 2/3 drop and Eibach anti-sway bars...which prior to the MDX was the nicest handling SUV I'd driven. an X5 it wasn't, but the feeling of confidence in the twisties and in emergency maneuvers was sweet. And freeway onramps...a thing of joy.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. I just bought the TTE 30mm springs and with any luck will have them on late next week. (I'll actually be in Hawaii, but a buddy is taking the car to a local shop for me.) So, if you don't mind waiting until the 21st or so I'll have some feedback to offer.
Yeah, I can wait. Remember to take a lot of pics for comparison.
Old 07-08-07, 06:38 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Air suspension would be perfect IMHO. Mine didn't have factory air and air suspension kits were not available at the time, so I went with Eibach springs. Ride was still good. The larger rims I out on actually affected ride comfort more than lowering the car did. I loved it. I wish it went lower as it was only about a 1.5" drop. The RX was my wifes car and she didn't mind the ride at all. For me, the stock suspension was just too soft so I had to do something.
Old 07-08-07, 07:03 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CK6Speed, I'm in the same boat (although the RX is mine...the wife would most likely veto the drop if it was hers) and your old RX was certainly a model for my decision - your drop and wheel & tire combo looked outstanding.

If the TTE springs don't have too harsh an effect on ride quality I'll probably follow with a set of 19s.

Last edited by VroomVroom; 08-13-07 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 07:37 PM
RXSF

Do you have any pics of it in the lowered setting?
not yet, its on my todo list now
Old 07-08-07, 09:43 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I was kind of joking when I said it but I have heard about a few cars with air suspension that do that. At highway speeds the car drops down to cut down on wind resistance, from what I have heard about cars that automatically lower themselves the gas mileage does improve significantly and it also works better to improve handling than a normally lowered car. The reason I don't like lowered cars is that usually little thought goes into spring geometry and length of travel. If you don't take into account the fact that springs will have less distance to travel before they bottom out and cause a harsh ride. Lowering the center of gravity is a small part of the equation and that is the whole beauty of an air suspension system that lowers the car automatically. A properly designed system that lowers itself should preform better than letting an unqualified wrench turner muck around with your springs.

Quick Reply: Lowered RX owners please check in!