RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Nav 6.1 Override?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 02:05 PM
cheap_deal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this lockpick dependant on what version of Nav the RX has? has anyone OUTSIDE N.America installed it?
what i want to know is will it work on my UAE nav whic is version 1.0
Old 09-04-07, 03:48 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes go to there site to check it out
Old 09-04-07, 05:00 PM
Sir Topas
Driver School Candidate

Where is the 6.1 Navigation DVD located in the 2008 RX350? I've scoured through both the Owner's Manual and the Navigation Guide and it doesn't state where to find it. Also, how do you eject it? Thanks!
Old 09-04-07, 05:21 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sir Topas
Where is the 6.1 Navigation DVD located in the 2008 RX350? I've scoured through both the Owner's Manual and the Navigation Guide and it doesn't state where to find it. Also, how do you eject it? Thanks!
It is located in the rear, inside the same plastic bin where the car jacks are located. The lockpic3 basic kit attaches to the back of the NAV DVD unit in the trunk. If you open the door under the trunk mat - the one with the jack in it, you need to remove that tray. There are 2 plastic 'push pins' one on either side - just pry them out with a flatblade screwdriver. Then slide the tray towards the rear of the RX while lifting it out and you will see the DVD unit on the right side. You then unplug the cable closest to the front of the car and plug in the lockpick kit, then plug the cable you removed into the other end of the LP. - replace the tray - done. When you re-start the car, the navi firmware will re-load, you will see this on the navi display - just let it finish and you are done! This kit allows me to enter destination while diving and autobypass the 'i agree' button.

If you want DVD playing while moving and unblocking of bluetooth you need the lockpick3 ultimate plus. For this, you will need to do as above AND you also need to attach the second kit to the rear of the nav behind the dash. So yes, you will need to tear down the dash. I did not do this because I dont care for neither of these features.

Originally Posted by booyah
I was told by those guys I can only use the lockpick3 basic because I have the rear DVD?
I dont know if the lockpick3 ultimate plus will work for rx350 with nav6.1 that is equiped with the factory entertainment system (like Booyah's) . But i see no reason why it wont work. The dvd player for lexus entertaintment package is a separate player from the cd changer no? And it also has separate screen from the factory nav no?

Originally Posted by cheap_Deal
is this lockpick dependant on what version of Nav the RX has? has anyone OUTSIDE N.America installed it?
what i want to know is will it work on my UAE nav whic is version 1.0
This, i dont know. Can you email/call coastaltech ppl?

More discussion on how to install and what this lockpick3 device is all about can be found here: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...pic=30996&st=0.

Last edited by SugarRush; 09-04-07 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-05-07, 08:42 PM
tawm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Nav System Hardware in 2008 RX 350

Thanks for explaining where the Nav DVD system is located. I'm going to look for some additional info on LockPick 3's reliability and impact on warranty -- does installation void Lexus' warranty?

Can you also please explain the Nav system hardware basics -- is there an actual DVD disc with the maps and software? Or is it RAM memory, much like portable Garmin GPS units use? Is the DVD accessible within the unit, i.e. when Lexus updates the maps and software, can the DVD disc be swapped out? Or is it a sealed unit, with an external plug to which accessories like the LP3 can be attached?

Last edited by tawm; 09-05-07 at 08:44 PM. Reason: wrong icon
Old 09-06-07, 04:15 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tawm
Thanks for explaining where the Nav DVD system is located. I'm going to look for some additional info on LockPick 3's reliability and impact on warranty -- does installation void Lexus' warranty?

Can you also please explain the Nav system hardware basics -- is there an actual DVD disc with the maps and software? Or is it RAM memory, much like portable Garmin GPS units use? Is the DVD accessible within the unit, i.e. when Lexus updates the maps and software, can the DVD disc be swapped out? Or is it a sealed unit, with an external plug to which accessories like the LP3 can be attached?

I will try to answer your question.

> does installation void Lexus' warranty?
A: I dont think so. It will be very hard for Lexus to proof otherwise. If you are worried, just remove the lockpick3 before you claim any warranty work for the nav/electrical system issues in the future.

> is there an actual DVD disc with the maps and software? is it RAM >memory, much like portable Garmin GPS units use?
A: Yes, there is dvd disc containing maps and software. I believe there is also some sort of non removable RAM in the Nav Processing Unit to store some information such as user's address book,recent dest, home, favorites etc. This RAM will also load the Lexus Operating System (OS) for the nav. The OS is loaded from the DVD the 1st time the system detected that power is cycled i.e. If you disconnect and reconect the car battery cable or that white cable harness behind the dvd unit that housed multiple wires (a 'power' wire is one of them). IF you install lockpick3, a bridge is created in between the nav dvd unit and the nav processing unit to 'trick' the system that you are *not* moving hence you are able to enter destination.

>Is the DVD accessible within the unit, i.e. when Lexus updates the maps >and software, can the DVD disc be swapped out? Or is it a sealed unit, with >an external plug to which accessories like the LP3 can be attached?
A: When owner needs to upgrade the map/software to the latest version, he will be given a new DVD. He then needs to pop the old one out and load the new one into the nad dvd unit and power cycle the system.

Last edited by SugarRush; 09-06-07 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-06-07, 07:54 PM
Piccadilly
Driver School Candidate

Any prediction whether Lockpick3 would unlock ver. 6.1 on generation 3 nav (2004 RX rather than 2006 RX)? I'm interested and encouraged that it worked on 2006 RX.

The following reply came back from an inquiry to coastaletech: "Sorry, once you have upgraded to 6.1 our unit is not compatible and it is my understanding that you cannot go back down in versions."

But SugarRush's experience contradicts this incompatibility with 6.1..... so I'm just left wondering about the "generation" versus the data/software "version" (we have ver 6.1--we upgraded, perhaps unwisely, from 3.1 (??)). Thanks.
Old 09-06-07, 08:04 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Piccadilly
Any prediction whether Lockpick3 would unlock ver. 6.1 on generation 3 nav (2004 RX rather than 2006 RX)? I'm interested and encouraged that it worked on 2006 RX.

The following reply came back from an inquiry to coastaletech: "Sorry, once you have upgraded to 6.1 our unit is not compatible and it is my understanding that you cannot go back down in versions."

But SugarRush's experience contradicts this incompatibility with 6.1..... so I'm just left wondering about the "generation" versus the data/software "version" (we have ver 6.1--we upgraded, perhaps unwisely, from 3.1 (??)). Thanks.
I will reconfirm my ver# tomorrow from the nav info screen. Will try to take picture.

Edited by sugarrush on 9/8/2007:
---
I have reconfirmed my nav and:
- it is generation 5 because it is in a 2008 RX350 purchase in 08/07
- it has USA CD map
- The Map CD ver 6.1
- lockpick3 basic kit works on my nav.

I am sorry but I can not tell you with 100% confident if lockpick3 will work on gen 3 with map cd 6.1. Maybe you can arrange some sort of deal with Coastaltech to try it out and refund it if does not work?

Last edited by SugarRush; 09-08-07 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added new information as promised
Old 09-06-07, 08:53 PM
tawm
Driver

Question LockPick installation questions

>You then unplug the cable closest to the front of the car and plug in the lockpick kit, then plug the cable you removed into the other end of the LP.

I'm trying to visualize the LP. Can you please further explain the mechanics of the LP Basic installation for your RX350 Nav? From your earlier comments I assume that it's a male plug that is inserted between the jack of the Nav unit in the trunk, and the car's original male plug (which is inserted into the LP). The LP is placed physically and electrically in the middle.

1) Is there any wire splicing as with some other LP models? or just the plug insertion?
2) Is the LP itself just a plug or a separate unit with some circuitry?

I mailed CoastaleTech with some questions, but they never replied.

Thanks as always.
Old 09-07-07, 02:41 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

Smile 3 Methods to override GPS/Nav

I see this question asked a lot. Here is a link to the three common methods to access the service override option, hopefully one of these is what you're looking for:

Video Blog of Lexus GPS Override

James
Old 09-07-07, 09:09 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jamesfabin
I see this question asked a lot. Here is a link to the three common methods to access the service override option, hopefully one of these is what you're looking for:

Video Blog of Lexus GPS Override

James
James, I believe you are incorrect! Unfortunately Lexus disable those workarounds and they DO NOT WORK work on generation 5 navigation with map CD version 6.1 and newer. The workarounds you posted only work with nav generation 1 through 5 with Map CD version number less than 6.1

FYI, at this point in time all 2007 and newer Lexus with nav package come with Generation 5 nav with 6.1 map software. The original poster (OP) posted a question of a 'workaround' specifically for his ver 6.1

I am pretty sure it works in your RX because you either have generation 4 or 5 in it with map cd older than ver 6.1. Please kindly confirm. Consequently, if you decide to upgrade your map to ver 6.1, you will loose the ' 3 workarounds' posted in your link.

More discussion can be found in IS250/350 subforum here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251179

Last edited by SugarRush; 09-07-07 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-07-07, 10:19 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You is correct Sugar...Rush
Old 09-08-07, 01:16 PM
tawm
Driver

The clublexus forum talks about (map CD?) version 7.1 due out in October for the IS. Would this also apply to our RX model -- and any implications for those of us trying to override the Nav?
Old 09-08-07, 04:40 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tawm
I'm trying to visualize the LP. Can you please further explain the mechanics of the LP Basic installation for your RX350 Nav? From your earlier comments I assume that it's a male plug that is inserted between the jack of the Nav unit in the trunk, and the car's original male plug (which is inserted into the LP). The LP is placed physically and electrically in the middle.
1) Is there any wire splicing as with some other LP models? or just the plug insertion?
2) Is the LP itself just a plug or a separate unit with some circuitry?
I mailed CoastaleTech with some questions, but they never replied.
Thanks as always.

The clublexus forum talks about (map CD?) version 7.1 due out in October for the IS. Would this also apply to our RX model -- and any implications for those of us trying to override the Nav?
Tawm, I will try to answer your post.

Yes you are correct, the Lockpick3 kit is basically a small circuit board (tightly wrapped in black electrical tape) with 2 wires coming out of it with a male conector on one end of the wire and a female connector on the other end. The male plug is inserted into the jack behind the Nav unit in the trunk, and the car's original male plug is inserted into the LP's female connector. The LP is placed physically and electrically in the middle acting like a bridge. No wire splicing is involved at all. It only take me 15 minutes to install, tops. I've heard that other RX owners can do it in 5. I have a background in electronic mfg system planning. Yet I dare not unwrap the Lockpick3 circuit board from its electrical tape to peek into its design because it may void their warranty and return policy. So I can not tell you more on exactly what the circuit does.

Today, I took a 300+ miles roadtrip with it and it functions as claimed, and flawlessly too. So I guess I am not returning it afterall. And no, I am not affiliated to Coastaltech in any way.

Who knows what Lexus will block in map cd ver 7.1 . I am going to wait it out (and not upgrade) until someone confirm the drawbacks first. Maybe Lockpick3 will not work on 7.1.

Last edited by SugarRush; 09-08-07 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 12:23 PM
tawm
Driver

Question Voice Response "override" for Nav?

On my 2008 RX-350, it appears I can use the Voice Recognition/Response for some navigation functions such as "destination" and address input, etc. while the car is moving. While the Nav screen functions are locked once the vehicle moves, has anyone experimented with how many functions are available via voice?
Thanks.
Tom