RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Perfomance Modification

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 06:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
plus the thermal wrap will be easier to install and you dont have to worry about making a heat shield fit in that tight space.
Now you know what I have to face when I have to find the right kind of cooking pot to cut up.
Old 07-13-07, 10:20 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plus the fact that anything made by toyota isnt always easy to modify, not like honda products.
Old 07-13-07, 01:06 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

AM1, you got that right. Honda-Acura are modify-friendly...unlike Toyota-Lexus.
Old 07-13-07, 01:17 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I agree. There are more avaliable aftermarket parts for cars in the same class.
I just did the TRD Thermo-stat change for the RX300, what a PITA to access. With Honda/Acura, at least you can see and have limited access to pipe/cover to the Tstat. I have to remove stock air filter box, bury my head into the engine bay and work by feel to loosen all screws to uncover RX300's T-stat.

Catalytic convertor is another dumb design, Toyota integrates cat, resonator, and that 4 feet pipe to the muffler into one piece on all RX models. This means if a cat needs to be replaced, you have to replace all three piece or cut the bad part off and weld back a replacement. With Honda, cat is held by 6 bolts, literally jack up the car, loosen those bolts and the oxygen sensor, within 10 minute the cat is off the car, with no special tool required.
Old 07-13-07, 01:44 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
So true... I miss those days..
Old 07-13-07, 01:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I should have noted earlier that Weapon-R makes a Dragon Intake System for the RX330. I used to have this for my RX300 and I am not too keen on it, though I still keep the pipe around. It is indeed possible just to get some 3-inch aluminum piping cut and have a MAF sensor bung welded on the top so that it would look something like this below (from my Dragon Intake pipe) and then put a heat shield around it.
Attached Thumbnails Perfomance Modification-img_2811.jpg  
Old 07-13-07, 11:39 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

weapon r thats something i havent heard of for yearssssssss
Old 07-14-07, 05:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Their Secret Weapon Intake is a better design using better principles.
Old 05-07-11, 09:02 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a kick for a great post!
Old 11-25-13, 08:44 PM
JProdun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lexmex, are you still around on this forum?

Hey Lexmex, not sure if you're still active on the forum, but will ask anyways.

I purchased Weapon-R Secret Weapon (hasn't arrived yet) and was going through all the reviews and critics on the forum.

From what I understand, the problem is that it will suck in hot air from under the hood... So, I've decided, or at least assumed for now, that keeping it this way (open) is fine through the winter (NYC), but will have to do something about it during or before sprin comes around.

Now, that said, my first question is, should I come up with some kind of an airbox to cover the filter? Now, related questions: should the airbox cover the filter from all the sides (except where it will get the air from obviously) or only some of the sides (top, rear, bottom, front etc.)?

Second thing, there's a duck hose supplied with the intake ( I saw the one you made for your 300, but don't think I have any space to do it the same way and don't feel like having it all the way on the bottom of the car... NYC roads mostly...), so I'm still looking for way to have it positioned in such a way so it could get the coldest air, but anything you could recommend? (I'm actually thinking of integrating it into the stock tunnel the goes into the stock airbox, but that'll be some major plastic cutting and gluing )

And last, but not least, Is it better to have both (airbox and the duck hose)?

Or, and one more thingy, I've seen various types of airboxes. Most of them square and on the larger size, where's yours seems to be just a hollow tube kind of surrounding the filter. So my question is whether an airbox has to have a lot of space between the walls and the filter or it doesn't make a difference?

I apologize if this is a lot of questions and excuse my lack of knowledge...

I would appreciate if you could respond to at least some of these!

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-26-13, 04:23 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JProdun
Hey Lexmex, not sure if you're still active on the forum, but will ask anyways.

I purchased Weapon-R Secret Weapon (hasn't arrived yet) and was going through all the reviews and critics on the forum.

From what I understand, the problem is that it will suck in hot air from under the hood... So, I've decided, or at least assumed for now, that keeping it this way (open) is fine through the winter (NYC), but will have to do something about it during or before sprin comes around.

Now, that said, my first question is, should I come up with some kind of an airbox to cover the filter? Now, related questions: should the airbox cover the filter from all the sides (except where it will get the air from obviously) or only some of the sides (top, rear, bottom, front etc.)?

Second thing, there's a duck hose supplied with the intake ( I saw the one you made for your 300, but don't think I have any space to do it the same way and don't feel like having it all the way on the bottom of the car... NYC roads mostly...), so I'm still looking for way to have it positioned in such a way so it could get the coldest air, but anything you could recommend? (I'm actually thinking of integrating it into the stock tunnel the goes into the stock airbox, but that'll be some major plastic cutting and gluing )

And last, but not least, Is it better to have both (airbox and the duck hose)?

Or, and one more thingy, I've seen various types of airboxes. Most of them square and on the larger size, where's yours seems to be just a hollow tube kind of surrounding the filter. So my question is whether an airbox has to have a lot of space between the walls and the filter or it doesn't make a difference?

I apologize if this is a lot of questions and excuse my lack of knowledge...

I would appreciate if you could respond to at least some of these!

Thanks a lot!
Weapon R used to come with a 'cold air kit' which was basically a 3 inch flex house which was routed through the engine compartment to the outside. I'm working from memory, I bought one for my RX300 which was totaled before I could get it on. But, it did have the kit.

Do they no longer offer the kit?
Old 11-26-13, 08:36 AM
JProdun
Driver

They do. Gotta find the way to get it to the outside. A little cramped under the hood.
Old 11-26-13, 11:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

My 1st question is have you installed the Weapon-R by itself yet?
Old 11-26-13, 01:24 PM
JProdun
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
My 1st question is have you installed the Weapon-R by itself yet?
It hasn't arrived yet