RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

iPod connection

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 05:45 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MBC230
Okay guys I have been looking at this IPOD tread for a couple of days now and I have to say I don’t understand. What is the big deal with the FM transmitters and the vaistech unit? Do they display the song title and artist on the nav screen or on the lower half? Because I know for a fact that my wife uses the tried and true method the tape deck adaptor (I know everyone has a tape deck) you know the CD car cassette adaptor that you hooked up to your CD walkman ,before all cars had CD player so you could listen to your CDs in the car. So I must ask what’s wrong with that method. My wife does it and she is perfectly happy.
hello, and welcome to the forums

the vaistech option is an integrated aftermarket solution, so yes, artist/track/playlist will appear on your screen. plus you can control playlists just like CDs in your car w/ the Factory controls on the audio unit or the steering wheel controls. it's definitely handy and safer for driving since you don't have to look down at your ipod to change songs.

the FM transmitter and tape deck solutions are just fine as well, however you do have to hold the ipod in your hand if you want to change songs. plus the audio quality won't be quite as good, although it may be undetectable difference in quality at low volume anyway.
Old 07-12-07, 05:49 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oops, forgot to add that a lot of people like the vaistech SLI because it's a neat and clean way to listen to your music - you can also have your ipod connected in the glove box or center console away from prying eyes. from the outside no one can see or tell that you have it there.

the other great thing about the SLI is that it charges your ipod whenever hooked up, so no more worrying about running out of power or having to also have another loose cable running around in the cabin to charge it
Old 07-12-07, 07:31 PM
rx300ny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cassette adapter

Right you are, the cassette adapter works great, used it in my RX300. Unfortunately, non-NAV RX 350s from 2007 on do NOT have cassette decks, much to my chagrin.
Old 07-13-07, 07:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

God bless my cassette adapter in my RX300 and all the wonders of XM Radio south of the border.
Attached Thumbnails iPod connection-xmradio.jpg  
Old 07-13-07, 11:09 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Yes! I have cassette tape player on my '07 RX350 with Navi. Is that mean no cassette player on RX350 without Navi?
Old 07-13-07, 11:33 AM
BeerWolf
Driver School Candidate

I had the VAIS unit professionally installed in my 2008 RX350 and it does sound great! It's easy to use now that I figured it out. I can play my Ipod by making play lists that work with the steering wheel buttons. You get the text that way. Or I can play songs from the Ipod without using a play list too.

It's still hard to believe that an Ipod connection isn't offered in the newer RX's. But thankfully this is a solutions because those FM transmitters aren't that great and pick up way to much static.
Old 07-13-07, 11:52 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Nice work. And it works with the steering wheel audio control and text on the screen too?
Old 07-13-07, 01:54 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 417 Likes on 366 Posts

That's an excellent install! I need to get mine done.
Old 07-13-07, 11:50 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did they install the cable for the ipod?
Old 07-14-07, 05:50 AM
BeerWolf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lok888
Nice work. And it works with the steering wheel audio control and text on the screen too?
Yes, it does work with the steering wheel and audio controls with text as seen in my above picture... BUT... ONLY if you are playing music from a playlist that you have created yourself! I had to create a bunch of playlists so I could use the controls. Those controls will not work if you're manually playing music from your Ipod and not from a playlist.

Originally Posted by AM1
where did they install the cable for the ipod?
They told me I could have the cord connector come out from either side I wanted. I had the cord put under the center console and my Ipod stays in the tray most of the time if I am playing music from a playlist. I had them leave me a long cord so I can hold my Ipod, or put it in the cup holders too if I want to manually play music straight from my Ipod and pick my own songs, albums, etc., and not use a playlist. The long cord is nice so both the driver or front seat passenger can use it. I read where somebody had their cord installed in the glove box for safety. I think that's a great idea too.

Another nice feature is that my Ipod will mute/pause when you're on your Bluetooth phone. Once you hang up, the Ipod starts playing where it stopped.

Old 07-14-07, 07:10 AM
eh0013
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rx300ny
Right you are, the cassette adapter works great, used it in my RX300. Unfortunately, non-NAV RX 350s from 2007 on do NOT have cassette decks, much to my chagrin.
Can you tell me what cassette adapter has worked for you? I tried one in my Solara and it did not work...it was very noisy and the auto reverse kept clicking (I eventually hard wired a system to the unit of the solara). Now that I have he rx, I'm curious which one you have that you seem very satisfied with. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-14-07, 07:25 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BeerWolf
I had the VAIS unit professionally installed in my 2008 RX350 and it does sound great! It's easy to use now that I figured it out. I can play my Ipod by making play lists that work with the steering wheel buttons. You get the text that way. Or I can play songs from the Ipod without using a play list too.

It's still hard to believe that an Ipod connection isn't offered in the newer RX's. But thankfully this is a solutions because those FM transmitters aren't that great and pick up way to much static.
Maybe most FM transmitters aren't very good but the Crane works great. I posted a link that shows how to tweak it to boost the output. I don't know how it works without the tweak but it works great with the tweak
Old 07-15-07, 12:11 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive seen that type of install where the cable is near the bottom of the dash. mine is installed with the cable into the glovebox. the installers left the cable as long as possible so i can still control it from the driver seat