RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

600 miles and the A/C stopped working already..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 08:22 PM
sync9999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600 miles and the A/C stopped working already..

This is my first post and its also my first complain on my newly purchased '08 RX350. Picked up the car for 3 weeks, everything has been working fine, which it should be for any new car within the first month. The A/C stopped working all of a sudden. It's been quite hot for the past few days, and very humid as well too. I just cannot find any reason nor any excuses as while the A/C can give out like that. The A/C light does not blink, it does stay on, but I dont hear the compressor kicking in when its been turned on. I've done the A/C self-check on start up by pressing 'AUTO' and 'Recirculation' button simultaneously. It shows 21, 23, and 24 repeatedly. The car did not go through any puddles or anything. I've scheduled an appointment for next Monday at the dealership which we brought it from. Overall, this is a HUGE disappointment. We've bought 4 Toyotas over the past 12 years and theres been small issues here and there. I just can't get over how a 600miles Lexus can have A/C issues already.

Does anyone have similar problems?
Old 07-10-07, 08:45 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Sorry to hear about the AC issue, I owuld think that you can get a priority appointment, or else that walk in and I am sure they will take care of you. It is a surprise for the AC to fail. It could be a switch malfunction. Hardware should not fail. Good luck.
Old 07-10-07, 09:00 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Do you have the NAV option? I don't know if it matters but I have the RX400H with Nav and when you push the climate button the NAV screen comes up with climate control settings. In the lower left corner there is a touch sensitive button that allows you to turn the compressor on and off. I don't know if you could have turned off the compressor by mistake or if you have a non-NAV optioned car.
Old 07-10-07, 09:19 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

PS If you don't have the NAV screen maybe there is some kind of button on the dashboard to turn off the compressor, check to see if you pushed some kind of button and turned off the compressor
Old 07-10-07, 09:36 PM
sync9999
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the replies guys..I don't have navigation. Is there really a button to turn off the compressor? That would be kind of weird, but I'll take a closer look tomorrow.
Old 07-10-07, 09:40 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hello, and welcome. sorry your 1st post had to be for posting a problem!

i don't have much to add to the previous posts, but just wanted to let you know that it sounds like an isolated incident based on what i've seen on this site. i've had my RX since launch day in March 2003 and the A/C has never crapped out since day one, so rest assured you have a solid vehicle to look forward to many years of ownership.
Old 07-10-07, 11:19 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sync9999
thanks for the replies guys..I don't have navigation. Is there really a button to turn off the compressor? That would be kind of weird, but I'll take a closer look tomorrow.
Yes you can turn off the compressor by using the NAV screen, I would think that it should also be something that could be done on a vehicle with out the NAV screen. I suggest that you make sure you didn't turn off the compressor by accident. It seems unusual to have the A/C on any car just stop after only 600 miles
Old 07-11-07, 05:56 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Without NAV, just press the A/C button to enable or disable the compressor. Auto will also reset it to compressor-on.
Old 07-11-07, 07:31 AM
sync9999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jim256
Without NAV, just press the A/C button to enable or disable the compressor. Auto will also reset it to compressor-on.
Yea, obviously thats what I've been trying to do over and over again. A/C light is on, lowering the temp to 65 or even to "Lo" does not give me any cold air. This really sucks...
Old 07-11-07, 08:22 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear that it wasn't something simple. I guess it will take a trip to the dealer. I really hoped it would solve the problem.
Old 07-14-07, 06:43 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

machanicla parts will always let you down some time. I had an 08 rx 350 that I was getting ready to put on the lot and the tranny was dead. Take it to the dealer im sure they will fix it for you.
Old 07-14-07, 10:48 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

what is this invisible button on the lower left hand corner...

i tried it and nothing happened, no beep no reaction from the AC...
Old 07-15-07, 05:26 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
what is this invisible button on the lower left hand corner...

i tried it and nothing happened, no beep no reaction from the AC...
If you are referring to the touch sensitive button on the NAV screen it turns the compressor on and off. You won't notice any change right away but if you turn it off the car will get warm after a few minutes on a hot day. There is an indicator light the turns on and off when you touch the button.
Old 07-15-07, 09:01 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem but no one is perfect and neither is Lexus. You just happened to be the unlucky few where something went wrong with the car in its infancy. All I can say is, I hope you are didnt buy from Lexus of Norwood as their service dept. sucks big ones. All others in MA will give you the Lexus treatment and your AC will be fixed like new. Lexus by far has the coldest A/C........its wonderful to get cooled by Lexus A/C
Old 07-16-07, 10:58 AM
sync9999
Driver School Candidate

thx for the replies guys...just dropped of my RX at the dealership this morning and got a white ES350 as a loaner hehe...

yea...the A/C system definitely is malfunctioning, i brought my car there on thursday evening and they drained out the refrigerant and put new ones in. it was ice-cold for two days, but then it started to blow warm air again. Anyways, the mechanic stated I should bring the car back today, which i did, for a closer inspection to see if there was any leaks from the A/C.

Originally Posted by kingofire
Sorry to hear about your problem but no one is perfect and neither is Lexus. You just happened to be the unlucky few where something went wrong with the car in its infancy. All I can say is, I hope you are didnt buy from Lexus of Norwood as their service dept. sucks big ones. All others in MA will give you the Lexus treatment and your AC will be fixed like new. Lexus by far has the coldest A/C........its wonderful to get cooled by Lexus A/C

as a matter of fact, that IS the dealership where i bought my car from. they just moved their dealership like one mile down, and holy *****, their new dealership is HUGE, absolutely gorgeous.

Quick Reply: 600 miles and the A/C stopped working already..