RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Nav system from Lexus PRICE!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 06:23 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav system from Lexus PRICE!!

Hi, I bought a 2007 Lexus RX350 with the luxury package back then. My concern now is that I want a Nav system (Back then I didn't want it). How much do I expect to pay? I know its gonna be a couple grands. Anyone got an appx idea? Thanks
Old 07-13-07, 07:04 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Better get an aftermarket. They will tear down the center console and replace, it will cost you an arm and a leg, maybe.
Old 07-13-07, 07:21 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Ah that's gonna suk, I really wanted the original one... how much do you think a good aftermarket one will cost?
Old 07-13-07, 09:34 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I have a 07 RX400H with the NAV and I am so disapointed with it I bought a Garmin SP 7500. The Garmin will cost less and will automatically find traffic jams and route you car around them. The thing I hate most about the Lexus NAV is you can't use it when the car is moving. I can checknfor motels, places to eat and other points of interest whlie the car is moving but with the Lexus I have to stop the car. I also like the fact that the Garmin has a remote control.
Old 07-13-07, 09:54 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimjaix
Ah that's gonna suk, I really wanted the original one... how much do you think a good aftermarket one will cost?
IThe garmin lists for about $1,300~$1,400 but I paid about $950 a few months ago they now are selling for $999.86 on this site

http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?231164

An in dash unit will cost more plus you have to pay for installation but the Garmin just sits on the dash board

PS if you want to get the free traffic reports you need to buy an extra antenna for about $100. Garmin's site says you need to buy a subscription for the traffic reports but I got free reports min every large sity I drove through from NY to SC to TX and back. As a matter of fact it even warned me that the LIE was closed for night time road work.

Last edited by silvervett; 07-13-07 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-14-07, 12:33 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are so many components that have to be changed, it would be MUCH less expensive to trade the car. You need not only the nav computer, drive and display, you need the antenna installed in the dash, connections to ABS sensors and fluxgate compass for DR operation when satellite lock is lost. Can it be done? of course, but you could probably install a hot tub, two bunks, and a toilet in your car for less money. Consider a good aftermarket GPS for a few hundred bucks as a bargain.
Old 07-14-07, 06:13 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

The Garmin GPS sounds like its better than the Lexus original one, I know that you can hack the lexus's Nav system to the point where you can use it while the car is in motion but that's another story.

The Garmin GPS system they are selling for 912.49 and ship 1-2 day(s) faster than nextwarehouse.com
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...0&sku=GRSP7500

Last edited by jimjaix; 07-14-07 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-14-07, 07:04 AM
eh0013
Driver School Candidate

Not to mention that you can move the Garmin with you...to a different car or to a different state when you travel. I have the very economical Streetpilot i5 and am very satisfied. Don't let the small size deceive you...it is more than enough and of course the portability helps. It may be discontinued but I'm sure you can find one at a discounted price.
Old 07-14-07, 07:15 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimjaix
The Garmin GPS sounds like its better than the Lexus original one, I know that you can hack the lexus's Nav system to the point where you can use it while the car is in motion but that's another story.

The Garmin GPS system they are selling for 912.49 and ship 1-2 day(s) faster than nextwarehouse.com
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...0&sku=GRSP7500
Prices change, I got mine late May early April. be sure you get the GTM-12 optional antenna. it works very well and although the Garmin site said the is a subscription fee I have used mine without getting a subscription. The traffic alerts have saved me from getting stuck in a few traffic jams

PS it also has a built in XM radio but I have no desire to get the XM activated.
Old 07-16-07, 01:07 PM
NixonLarry
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav System hacking

The NAV system sucks with not being able to use it unless your are stopped. Where can you find out how to hack it to work all the time?
Old 07-19-07, 08:47 PM
Igloo
Driver School Candidate

Default Faults With 2007 Nav System

In addition to not being able to access the Nav System without stopping in traffic (which is pretty dangerous), there are several other significant programming faults with the Nav System:

1. The address database is not reliably linked to the map database! This means you can type in an address which may be "unknown"...but you can then scroll on the map to the exact point, place the cursor...and get the previously "unknown" address to appear and be able to set it on the destination screen...This is a BIG software ERROR!

2. It takes about 5 steps from a cold start each morning to get today's date up on the screen...including that INSULTING MESSAGE asking if I intend to drive safely again today? My daily LEXUS HATE moment then kicks in.

3. There are some 16 ways to enter a destination address...most entry procedures differ from each other in their logic, order and intuitive steps...I always end up with the manual open... even after a year of ownership.

4. I've found so many errors in the 200 page Nav/Entertainment manual that it's less frustrating simply to watch the dealer wrestle with the Nav System ...I've heard a few quaint phrases while multiple volunteers try valiantly to make it work...and NO ONE can make it do the same thing twice in a row!

A much simpler and more USER FRIENDLY Nav System is needed if Lexus wants to make up lost ground in this area.
Old 07-20-07, 07:41 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I am beginning to think that the decision not to have the NAV is paying off. I am so happy with my MIO right now. But I will surely miss the back up camera, which I think my wife who owns the car will love. She does not even know it exists.....
Old 07-20-07, 08:11 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no one GPS device that seems to make everyones wish list. They all have strengths and weaknesses. GPS devices are continually evolving and will do so for the long term as related technologies are integrated (traffic, tracking, etc).

The possibilities for added features are endless but the one topic that will never be settled is how to find destinations and how maps appear. The struggle will always be how to add advanced features for us enthusiasts while keeping things simple for those that just want to get from point A to point B.

I've have 3 different GPS devices in addtion to the Lexus version and find I like some features on each and dislike others. For me the Lexus version serves its purpose even though my 2005 version is 3 years old.
Old 07-20-07, 08:12 AM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by NixonLarry
The NAV system sucks with not being able to use it unless your are stopped. Where can you find out how to hack it to work all the time?
Look at ThisPost
Old 07-20-07, 02:40 PM
tgdaman
Rookie

The more I read the various posts concerning issues with the Lexus Nav system, the more I'm glad I made the decision not to get it. I really don't need a Nav, don't need the tape player (only have CD's), and I've been driving for over 40 years without a backup camera, don't need one now. I'll just continue to be careful backing up.

For the price of the Nav from Lexus, you can buy a great Garmin unit with the goodies, and still have enough left over to buy a laptop pc with wireless and DVD player included!

Quick Reply: Nav system from Lexus PRICE!!