RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2009 Rx

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 04:45 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rendition is freaky
Old 07-31-07, 05:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I like it though
Old 07-31-07, 05:37 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I like it though
It is probably what a Lotus SUV would look like
Old 07-31-07, 05:39 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Can you dig it?
Old 07-31-07, 06:20 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

After seeing the test mule, I'm more convinced than ever that the next RX will be the Lexus version of the new Highlander. A little larger than the current model with at least the option of a 3rd row seat. Engine will be a 3.5 liter V-6, but may be retuned to near GS spec giving over 300 hp. Transmission stays a 5 speed since the 6 speed Camry/ES350 unit does not have provisions for AWD. Price? How about $1000 more than the current model to cover additional capability. A loaded Highlander Limited is over $40K, so RX350 with similar equipment at $50k is not out of line.

Compared to Mercedes ML350, this would be a much larger, nicer vehicle and still have a $5K price advantange with similar equipment.

V-8? not a chance. This is Lexus' best seller, so they will not screw with a winning formula. If gasoline were still $2/gal, maybe a performance version but at $3/gal and the excellent performance of the 3.5 engine, why screw with a new platform.

Steve
Old 07-31-07, 09:21 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

im sorry to disapoint you but it will NOT be a 5 speed auto. do we live in the stone ages? it will be 6 speed most likely.
Old 07-31-07, 11:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wow ... if it looks anything close to that rendition it will be quite stunning. The rendition definitely has that "coupe on stilts" look to it, or a "Lotus SUV" as someone has already pointed out . The new RX has continually been rumoured to have sleeker, almost coupe-like styling.

After seeing the test mule, I'm more convinced than ever that the next RX will be the Lexus version of the new Highlander. A little larger than the current model with at least the option of a 3rd row seat. Engine will be a 3.5 liter V-6, but may be retuned to near GS spec giving over 300 hp. Transmission stays a 5 speed since the 6 speed Camry/ES350 unit does not have provisions for AWD. Price? How about $1000 more than the current model to cover additional capability. A loaded Highlander Limited is over $40K, so RX350 with similar equipment at $50k is not out of line.
I disagree. Lexus has been, and will continue to move away from similar Toyota models. Lexus models will continue to become more differentiated from Toyota models.

If anything, I expect the new RX to be less like the Highlander than compared with Gen 2 RX/Gen 1 Highlander.

According to some insider info from CL members, the new RX won't have a third row, and the other rumour is that it will get the same 300+ HP engine as the IS350 and GS350. Also, you are correct in that Toyota's FWD 6 speed tranny does not (yet) support AWD .... *but* .... Toyota's 6 speed RWD tranny DOES support AWD. Will the new RX be RWD? Will it really get a 300+ HP V6 and a rumoured V8? Will the RX move away from the Camry platform?

At this point, it does seem to be the case that the RX will move away from the Camry platform.
Old 08-01-07, 12:02 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
According to some insider info from CL members, the new RX won't have a third row, and the other rumour is that it will get the same 300+ HP engine as the IS350 and GS350. Also, you are correct in that Toyota's FWD 6 speed tranny does not (yet) support AWD .... *but* .... Toyota's 6 speed RWD tranny DOES support AWD. Will the new RX be RWD? Will it really get a 300+ HP V6 and a rumoured V8? Will the RX move away from the Camry platform?

At this point, it does seem to be the case that the RX will move away from the Camry platform.
That'd be nice, but I don't see any diff, in the rear so any hope of rwd is dashed for me right now.
Old 08-01-07, 01:26 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Compared to Mercedes ML350, this would be a much larger, nicer vehicle and still have a $5K price advantange with similar equipment.

V-8? not a chance. This is Lexus' best seller, so they will not screw with a winning formula. If gasoline were still $2/gal, maybe a performance version but at $3/gal and the excellent performance of the 3.5 engine, why screw with a new platform.
The pricing details sound logical to me. Agreed also on the low likelihood of a V8. Furthermore, it's not necessary to add a V8 since the hybrid option already offers increased horsepower and torque. Perhaps an RX 450h?
Old 08-01-07, 06:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Lexus doesn't seem to take what I like to call huge horsepower bump ups when changing from one generation to the next and the RX series is no exception.
Old 08-01-07, 06:49 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Lexus doesn't seem to take what I like to call huge horsepower bump ups when changing from one generation to the next and the RX series is no exception.
That's probably the popular opinion these days but the horsepower wars aren't going to last very long anyway. It's only a matter of time before gas prices are so high that nobody drives their performance vehicles anymore.
Old 08-01-07, 08:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Doesnt anybody have a real picture of the 09 RX yet?
Old 08-01-07, 11:40 AM
RXSF

but what about the IS300 to the IS350...that was an 80 hp jump...

as for the RX, i really expect anywhere from 290 to 300. That would be appropriate. and of course, add in an extra 1 to 2 mpg and were all set.

Doesnt anybody have a real picture of the 09 RX yet?
mmm no. lol. that is why all we have is a photochop.
Old 08-01-07, 12:32 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
That's probably the popular opinion these days but the horsepower wars aren't going to last very long anyway. It's only a matter of time before gas prices are so high that nobody drives their performance vehicles anymore.
Might want to remind you about the 'slight' power bump that Toyota gave the RAV4 (of which we have had 4 - my wife loved them). They went from a nice sedate little I4 to the somewhat hairy V6 that you find in the Camry - we drove one, it hauls butt, and gets quite good mileage. Had my dear wife been able to get one in her color, with the equipment she wanted, we would not have our IS right now. Remember that Lexus could well take the current 3.5, add direct injection, and throttle body injection (see specs for IS 350 engine) which could boost the horsepower and performance significantly. Now that’s what I would expect on the new RX.

The photoshop of the black one looks interesting, I think I like it!
Old 08-01-07, 01:18 PM
RXSF

i think its going to keep the RX350 name and engine displacement. However, i dont think ive every seen a luxury brand that did a new generation without increasing the number on the back of the car. And if a brand did, it certainly wasnt done by lexus.

an RX360? lol 370 perhaps?

Quick Reply: 2009 Rx