RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2009 Rx

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 04:02 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamesfabin
More information on the 2009 RX350 (not just rumors, but some actual new information): MyRide.com Community 2009 Lexus RX Information

The post will stay updated with new 2009 RX information as it becomes available from sources inside Lexus.
Mr. Fabin, nice to meet you. I did google you as your blog post suggested and it definitely appears that you likely have significant auto industry insider access. This adds credibility to your information...

...so not to get carried away, but reading your information was a WW for me! Lexus has had many successes but the LS, ES, and in some ways most importantly RX have been its multi-generation big hits.

It makes sense to me to keep the line to three SUVs and as such the RX 350 and RX 350 L models make sense; not to mention giving the RX the second LWB/SWB treatment after the LS.

6-speed, 300 hp sounds right to me...the 5- and 7-passenger versions seem to be confirmed by the various spyshots...9'' screen definitely will be excellent.

One thing...I hope the touchscreen still remains, along with the Apple-esque interface. I hope Lexus doesn't end up like Acura with their vehicles being half touchscreen and half not...rather maybe they can go more like the Infiniti route and offer both touchscreen and button options? OTOH if the ''touchpad' is very intuitive and as far away from a ****/COMAND/i-Drive as possible than that might be ok. And maybe the screen would get less fingerprints.

Regardless, the idea of an RX 350, RX 350L, RX 450h, RX-F is very, very exciting. And makes sense--the RX is the best-selling luxury vehicle in America, outselling the 3-series....and look how many variants they can offer with 100,000+ numbers. Variety is the spice of life.

One thing I have heard rumors about is an Ultra Luxury package for the RX, much as they introduced one for the ES. Could the rare panoramic roof on the RX (I've only seen this once in public; twice in ads/etc) become more prevalent? And the "9 new models" idea is tantalizing...New RX, IS-F, GS-F, LX, IS coupe would be five...

Oh and someone else on CL posted about their company bidding on the new dash/screen surround contract.

Thanks for the information!!!
Old 08-13-07, 04:16 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one question I haven't seen addressed (unless I totally missed it): Is the new RX based on the RWD-centric IS/GS platform (thus having a longitudinally-mounted engine) or on the FWD-centric (thus, transverse-engined) Highlander/Avalon platform? Is it safe to assume that talk of an RX-F V8 implies the former? Also, I'm guessing that the "around 300-hp engine" is the 2GR-FSE direct and indirect-injected V6 from the IS350/GS350?

Last edited by jruhi4; 08-13-07 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-13-07, 08:26 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

well theres no way of knowing.

i think it will continue to be a FWD bias car. and yes, i think it will take the engine from the IS350 and GS350.
Old 08-13-07, 08:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I wonder if the hybrid will be SWB/LWB or both.
Old 08-13-07, 10:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The rumour is that the RX and ES will no longer share the Camry platform in the future. They may either get a unique platform, or one based on current Lexus RWD platforms.
Old 08-13-07, 11:25 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The next RX WILL (yes WILL, not might or should) have a touch-pad located between the front two seats (near todays cup holders) that navigates a pointer on the larger 9 inch main screen. It's like reaching down to grab your mouse on your computer – easy to do without looking at where your fingers are.
I wonder how the Lexus touch screen lovers will feel about this. Personally, if it is a **** like in the Acura RL I don't mind it at all. If it is a real touch pad like on a laptop though I have my reservations. Unless the touch pad area is rather large. Still though, I would prefer a ****. Not i-Drive as that is a system, but a simple multi directional click **** like on the Acura.

The bottom line for me though is how does the car look? For reliability you pretty much can't go wrong with any Japanese car now days. Seems like all these mid sized SUVs are near or over 300HP so that is more than enough power unless you are planning on doing some major offroading, in which case a luxury SUV isn't the best choice anyway.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 08-13-07 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 09:43 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The rumour is that the RX and ES will no longer share the Camry platform in the future. They may either get a unique platform, or one based on current Lexus RWD platforms.
So will the next RX share anything with the 08 Highlander, platform or mechanically? I always thought RX is the upscaled Highlander...
Old 08-14-07, 11:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by memasterac
So will the next RX share anything with the 08 Highlander, platform or mechanically? I always thought RX is the upscaled Highlander...
It was actually done to fit the gap between the Rav4 and the 4Runner. In Mexico we don't have the Highlander, but after a lot of moaning from consumers here, we are finally supposed to get it in the Fall.
Old 08-14-07, 02:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by memasterac
Toyota wants it's Toyota brand and Lexus brand vehicles more differentiated, which means less platform sharing and less parts sharing.
Old 08-14-07, 05:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jamesfabin
More information on the 2009 RX350 (not just rumors, but some actual new information): MyRide.com Community 2009 Lexus RX Information

The post will stay updated with new 2009 RX information as it becomes available from sources inside Lexus.
Thanks for posting. My sources tell me no 7 seat RX, they do not want to cut into GX sales. There is no RX-F even close to being on the drawing board, the IS-F is the test and the GS-F would be next.

That said the next RX will continue to look sleeker and will use the 3.5 with direct injection for 300hp. The RX 400h becomes the RX 450h.

The RX has always been the Screen leader, even back in 1999 without NAV, that screen was way ahead of its time. I can believe the 9" screen.

Rumors have said it will no longer be Camry based (along with the ES) but I don't see why Lexus would keep them FWD based then.
Old 08-14-07, 07:41 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

9" nav screen does not mean much if the resolution is not there to support it..........hopefully Lexus pays attention to this as the 08 highlander sports a larger navigation screen, but the lower resolution make it look fuzzy and therefore unattractive.
Old 08-14-07, 09:19 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

from what ive seen, lexus has always used very good resolution in their new cars, so much so that all reviews say that there is absolutely not jagged lines. Its just another way of separating lexus from toyota. Notice how the nav layout is basically the same, as both brands use the same nav software. What would be the point of buying the lexus nav if its the same as the toyota one? resolution is the only thing us lexus buyers have.
Old 08-15-07, 08:55 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for posting. My sources tell me no 7 seat RX, they do not want to cut into GX sales. There is no RX-F even close to being on the drawing board, the IS-F is the test and the GS-F would be next.

That said the next RX will continue to look sleeker and will use the 3.5 with direct injection for 300hp. The RX 400h becomes the RX 450h.

The RX has always been the Screen leader, even back in 1999 without NAV, that screen was way ahead of its time. I can believe the 9" screen.

Rumors have said it will no longer be Camry based (along with the ES) but I don't see why Lexus would keep them FWD based then.

an RX450h would suggest rwd architecture, ent it?
Old 08-15-07, 09:40 PM
LexFather

Smile

Originally Posted by MR_F1
an RX450h would suggest rwd architecture, ent it?
Not really, it uses the 3.5 engine and CVT. Initially I predicted all hybrids would be AWD and I have been way off.
RX 400h AWD then
RX 400h FWD offered
GS 450h RWD
LS 600h L AWD

So Lexus basically has no method to the hybrid madness when it comes to configurations. Hybrids can be FWD, AWD or RWD.
Old 08-15-07, 10:51 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Evidently there are conflicting sources here...however the spyshots seem to indicate a longer version of the RX, possibly including 3 rows of seats...but one can only so far say 'it's longer' based on the spypics.

Quick Reply: 2009 Rx