RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Leather protectant

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-07, 01:57 AM
CX889
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather protectant

Hey everyone,

I was wondering which product provides good leather protection. There are lots out there and I saw a product called "Meguiar's Rich Leather Cleaning Solution". I dunno if this is the right one to use. Can anyone give me some insight please? Great thanks~
Old 07-21-07, 03:26 AM
asianrage
Driver

You can't just clean leather, you need to condition it too. That's how you maintain the soft and rich feel of the leather. I have a few that I trust.

Lexol Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - This package of separate cleaner and conditioner can be found in most auto part stores and for the price, it's the best out there. PH Balanced and water-based, it's very easy to apply. I'd recommend starting out with this. I got the Lexol package online and it came with a vinyl/plastic cleaner which works equally well and leave a matte finish. Recommended.

Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - 2-in-1 solution. Smells like leather and leave a soft finish on the leather. I used this on my 02 Acura TL-S and it works really well. I trust this more for older cars. This weekend, I'll use it on our 08 RX350 and we'll see how well it works.

Last edited by asianrage; 07-22-07 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Correcting spelling an some grammatical errors
Old 07-21-07, 05:34 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Concur on the Lexol

Old 07-21-07, 06:45 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, too, am a Lexol fan. Probably because, when I got my wife a new Acura 14 years ago, it was the first product I found. I use their cleaner first and then I rub the conditioner in using only my hands, like you are applying sunscreen lotion to your "significant other's" back. Once it is thoroughly rubbed in I let it sit for half an hour and then wipe of the excess with an old, soft terry cloth towel.

Imo, stay away from products that claim to be both a cleaner and conditioner. I can't figure out how something that removes the dirt from our leather can condition it at the same time. Fwiw, my 14 year old Acura leather seats look almost new because of the treatment I described above.

Gary
Old 07-21-07, 09:11 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I use Zymol, Cleaner, then Conditioner. Check out the Detailing Forum for more....
Old 07-21-07, 03:01 PM
javanutsy
Rookie

Concur as well on the Lexor products... Have been using it on my cars with great success.
Old 07-21-07, 04:10 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I like the Lexus branded cleaner and conditioner. This is provided to Lexus by GST AutoLeather the people who supply the leathers in your Lexus.

Old 07-22-07, 08:31 AM
platinumLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I like the Lexus branded cleaner and conditioner. This is provided to Lexus by GST AutoLeather the people who supply the leathers in your Lexus.

this the best leather conditioner for ur lexus ...nothing else
Old 07-22-07, 09:40 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are lots of great products out there. By all means, buy into the Lexus brand name if it makes you feel better, but keep in mind they're just putting their label on stuff made by another company.

As mentioned, leather care is a two-step process - cleaning and conditioning. Lexol is excellent stuff. The main reason I no longer use it is the scent. Zymol is great and can be found at local Target stores. My go to is Zaino - excellent stuff with a really pleasant smell.
Old 07-22-07, 10:13 AM
CX889
Rookie

Thanks for all the recommendations. After looking at the detailing sections in the forum, I didn't realize there are so many products out there. But one thing I wasn't sure is after applying the conditioner, will the factory leather smell be gone? Will it be a normal thing? Does anyone know if Meguiars or zymol will at least preserve the factory leather scent? Great thanks!
Old 07-22-07, 11:15 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Im not much on lexus branded stuff--but I must say the lexus leather care products are GREAT and the the conditioner smells like leather as well. I dont know who makes it for them but its good stuff for sure...You will like it
Old 07-22-07, 11:55 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

A friend of mine who was a Jaguar driver turned me on to a conditioner from Connoly (sp?), the people who supply the leather for Rolls Royce among others. It is only a conditioner, so you will need a cleaner - I use Lexol like many others for cleaning. You apply the Connoly conditioner and rub it in with your bare hands. Smooth soft leather and hands in one treatment. It is available in sports car stores and the local Infiniti dealer stocks it.
Steve
Old 07-22-07, 05:50 PM
asianrage
Driver

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
There are lots of great products out there. By all means, buy into the Lexus brand name if it makes you feel better, but keep in mind they're just putting their label on stuff made by another company.

As mentioned, leather care is a two-step process - cleaning and conditioning. Lexol is excellent stuff. The main reason I no longer use it is the scent. Zymol is great and can be found at local Target stores. My go to is Zaino - excellent stuff with a really pleasant smell.
I remember that the Zymol stuff that you get from Target and those stores aren't necessary the real Zymol. The real Zymol cost a lot of money. Zaino, however, is the real deal.
Old 07-22-07, 05:56 PM
asianrage
Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
A friend of mine who was a Jaguar driver turned me on to a conditioner from Connoly (sp?), the people who supply the leather for Rolls Royce among others. It is only a conditioner, so you will need a cleaner - I use Lexol like many others for cleaning. You apply the Connoly conditioner and rub it in with your bare hands. Smooth soft leather and hands in one treatment. It is available in sports car stores and the local Infiniti dealer stocks it.
Steve
Doesn't Connolly make nappa leather? Last I read, Lexus RX leather isn't nappa leather.
Old 07-22-07, 07:04 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Zymol does make a more expensive leather conditioner called Treat. I've not used it, but I have used their "standard" stuff. It's awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Zymol is as Zymol does...there's no "fake" stuff.

Connolly and Nappa are two different types of leather.

Quick Reply: Leather protectant