RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Selecting 20" wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 06:47 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts
Cool Selecting 20" wheels and tires

We have a number of threads running which address this in a general way. I'd like to get specific as I'm seriously shopping for 20" replacements for the stock 17" on my RX. I'd appreciate feedback on wheel sizes (widths), brands to avoid, tire sizes makes and styles, experiences after the fact, ride quality, what to do and not to do, etc. I've perused Tire Rack and other on-line shops. as well as a few local shops and am suitably confused.

My objective is to get chrome wheels and a good, quiet smooth riding tire. Ride quality should not degrade much and I don't want to mess up any of the electronics (TPS and speedo). Don't want to break the bank either. Just want some nice looking wheels!

Also, as the Canuck Buck has appreciated greatly, anyone in the Buffalo area who can recommend a good tire shop, I'd like to hear about them. Make a day trip to do some serious shopping; the wife for clothes and me for wheels
Old 07-30-07, 07:48 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just ordered my 20's and they should be on the car by the end of the week. I went with a 20x8 wheel with a +32mm offset. I would've liked to have found one in this width with a ~ +25mm offset, but as you'll discover there just aren't a ton of options out there. Actually...I shouldn't say that. I didn't look at any chrome rims, but did see quite a large number of them. My original hunt was for 19's, but the pickings there are even more slim.

Anyway, I'm going with the O-Z Palladio ST and 255/45 tires. I don't expect any issues up front but am a little concerned with the inner rear clearance. My basis for justifying the tire size was reviewing CK6Speed's photos and forum posts. The generally recommended 20" tire is a 245/45, but I wanted that extra bit of sidewall.

I hope you're right about ride quality. 18" > 20" is a pretty big jump in this regard - 17" > 20" will be even more noticeable. And with chrome rims, you'll also definitely notice the extra weight. The effects there will be on braking and acceleration. Don't be surprised to see a ~ 1mpg fuel economy hit along with the extra braking distance.

Good luck with the search. I spent over a month looking, asking, looking some more, and finally deciding. Part of that is because I've gotten really picky in my old age but also is the fact that there's just not many RX's out there running aftermarket wheels & tires.
Old 07-30-07, 08:20 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Had a look at those wheels on Tire Rack; look pretty nice; the same stying I'm looking for. Which tires did you select?

I'm interested in your comments about braking and mileage. Why would chrome plated wheels make that much difference? Are they that much heavier?

Also, I checked your tire size selection. Looks like your speedo is going to be off by about 1.8%, reading slower. This will help extend your warranty, but aren't you concerned about the difference?

I've attached a link, but not sure if that's allowed. Administrator, please delete if not.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html
Old 07-30-07, 08:32 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Ahh, the miata.net site....gotta love it.

I'm not at all worried about the difference since it's in my favor. And keep in mind that it's theoretical...I've yet to measure a difference that's spot-on. Inflation pressure and sidewall stiffness have a lot to do with this. Once installed I'll head out with the handheld GPS to determine the actual difference, just so I know what it is when it comes time to set the cruise control.

Chrome plated wheels are almost always heavier than painted wheels. This isn't always the case, of course, but it is a fair generalization. In any case, unless you go for exotic forged wheels, 20's will be noticeably heavier than 17's or 18's....tires as well as wheels.

I'm going with Yokohama Parada SpecX tires. I was leaning toward Toyo Proxes ST's all along, but in this size they're significantly more expensive.
Old 07-30-07, 09:10 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I think Auto Couture Supremes would look nice on an RX

Old 07-30-07, 10:13 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Nice wheels, but a little to much material for me. I prefer smaller spokes. The Oz style Vroom bought are about right. Too bad they don't come chrome plated.
Old 07-30-07, 11:02 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the yokohama paradas are nice. man for 20's you will def. need low offset
Old 08-01-07, 11:41 AM
lfteeglfr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum and I just bought an rx350 last month. I am also in the market for rims and have narrowed it down to DPE rims because I know the owners. www.dpe-wheels.com. Either their S-5 or R07 Variant S in 20". I f anyone else is interested I can see about getting discount for fellow lexus owners.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-07, 12:30 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by lfteeglfr
I am new to this forum and I just bought an rx350 last month. I am also in the market for rims and have narrowed it down to DPE rims because I know the owners. www.dpe-wheels.com. Either their S-5 or R07 Variant S in 20". I f anyone else is interested I can see about getting discount for fellow lexus owners.
Nice wheel! Also had a look at their site; nice selection. I'd be interested in a discount quote. Let me know how to go about that.

Last edited by JasDmw; 08-01-07 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 07:25 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Those are nice wheels - way out of my price range for a daily driver, but very nice.
Old 08-03-07, 02:08 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I fairly confident you guys wont feel too much of an increase in braking distance. My 20" TSW Montage rims were pretty darn heavy. I was worried about the braking, but when it was all said an done it didn't make much of a difference. I could tell acceleration suffered a but, but during the 3 years I had the 20" on I my wife or I never came close to not stopping in time. During that time I swaped in the stock rims when the car went to the dealership or other reasons and I never really felt any major difference in braking.
Old 08-03-07, 02:04 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

I drive up and down a lot of steep hills and sit in some ugly traffic. I just got the wheels mounted today but in the 25-mile drive back to the office I definitely noticed a difference in braking effort. A showstopper? No - just more of a mental note. The brakes still seem plenty powerful, but there's no doubt the rolling circumference and increased unsprung weight have made their presence known. Ditto acceleration for that matter - taking off from a dead stop is a noticeably slower endeavor.

FYI, my 20's (O-Z Palladio ST) are listed at 32 lbs. Some of the chrome ones I peeked at were 40lbs +.