RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Which octane do you use in your RX330?
Reg (87 min)
30.00%
Mid grade
13.33%
Prem
56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Gas Octane

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 11:13 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
err, well...

im not saying that i can tell a difference in the premium gas versus regular, but id like to think its better for the car. my car is an investment, and i want to keep it in the best condition possible, engine wise.
If you search around the forum, "premium is better for the car" is more of a myth . If you put in higher octane rating than the engine is designed for, you are killing the catalytic converter, decrease power output and mpg.

I am not sure you read a previous post, it has Toyota's recommendation. This is the only guidance you should follow, rather than putting something cost more but you can't feel (power gain) and measure (mpg). Did you read the manual and understand what it means?

The manual actually says;
Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended.
Old 08-13-07, 05:01 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
I am not sure you read a previous post, it has Toyota's recommendation. This is the only guidance you should follow, rather than putting something cost more but you can't feel (power gain) and measure (mpg). Did you read the manual and understand what it means?
Don't forget that the manual's recommendation changed from the quote above (from 2005, IIRC) to later ones. The 2007 RX350 manual says to use 91 octane unless it's not available.

I'm consistently getting 400 miles out of a tank, and estimated cruising ranges from 420 to 440, but then my driving is nearly all highway cruise at 65-70 MPH.
Old 08-13-07, 12:22 PM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I consistently get over 20mpg on my 2005 using premium fuel. And I drive about 90% city and 10% highway. I ran a test about a month ago driving at between 55 and 60 and was amazed that I was able to get over 25mpg. Of course driving that speed on Chicago highways is almost suicide.

For me the additional cost of premium is offset by the increase in mpg.
Old 08-13-07, 01:53 PM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by Gibster
I consistently get over 20mpg on my 2005 using premium fuel. And I drive about 90% city and 10% highway. I ran a test about a month ago driving at between 55 and 60 and was amazed that I was able to get over 25mpg. Of course driving that speed on Chicago highways is almost suicide.

For me the additional cost of premium is offset by the increase in mpg.

An earlier post said The refining process that removes the sulfur also reduces the aromatic content and density of the fuel, resulting in a minor decrease in the energy content, by about 1%. This decrease in energy content may result in reduced peak power and fuel economy. The reduction is only slight and will likely go unnoticed.

Link
Old 08-13-07, 04:02 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

err yes i do speak english so yes i did understand it. lol

...do you see the part that says "for improved performance" use octane 91 or higher
Old 08-13-07, 04:59 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmaynard
Don't forget that the manual's recommendation changed from the quote above (from 2005, IIRC) to later ones. The 2007 RX350 manual says to use 91 octane unless it's not available.

I'm consistently getting 400 miles out of a tank, and estimated cruising ranges from 420 to 440, but then my driving is nearly all highway cruise at 65-70 MPH.
RXSF has a 2004 RX330, so does the thread starter and the poll for RX330. What Toyota recommends for RX350 really does not apply since it is not meant to be for 2gr-fe only.
Old 08-13-07, 05:26 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

err yes i do speak english so yes i did understand it. lol

...do you see the part that says "for improved performance" use octane 91 or higher
What I mean is to understand the recommendation applies to one's driving condition.
If you leave the gear at D and just cruise, you are leaving more hp on the table than power gained using Octane Rating 91 gasoline (not octane/Research Octane Number 91)
Old 08-14-07, 07:23 AM
charlesh
Driver School Candidate

Default Octane

For Octane, 93 means 93% heat when compared to the standard C7H16, and 87 means 87% heat when compared to the standard C7H16. Therefore 93 Octane has more energy than 87 (note: the energy efficiency for current technology is very low, so a 6% difference between 93 and 87 will not result in 6% mileage differences between them). Also, the purity of 93 is much higher than 87. For those in NJ and CA, you can compare the smoky test results by filling your tank between 87 and 93 (A friend of mine who did not pass the test using 87 changed to 93, and passed the test)

By the way who cares about 20 cents each gallon. Do a math. 12000 miles /20 miles per gallon = 600 gallon a year x $0.2 = $120 extra cost (not include the slightly higher mileage from premium gas).

If you can afford a luxus car, I do not believe that you can not afford the extra $100/Year.
Old 08-14-07, 08:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The bottom line is, if you dont need premium, use regular. If you RX doesnt knock or give off sulfur smell and you are happy with its performance, use regular gas. Premium gas is not better gas for your RX, regular has the same amount of cleaning detergent as premium, except for Shell V-power, which has more cleaning detergent. You will not see enough gas mileage gain with preimum to offset the extra cost. The only thing you may notice is a slight performance gain at the top end or if you are towing or going up a steep hill.
Old 08-14-07, 08:25 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by charlesh
For Octane, 93 means 93% heat when compared to the standard C7H16, and 87 means 87% heat when compared to the standard C7H16. Therefore 93 Octane has more energy than 87 (note: the energy efficiency for current technology is very low, so a 6% difference between 93 and 87 will not result in 6% mileage differences between them). Also, the purity of 93 is much higher than 87. For those in NJ and CA, you can compare the smoky test results by filling your tank between 87 and 93 (A friend of mine who did not pass the test using 87 changed to 93, and passed the test)

By the way who cares about 20 cents each gallon. Do a math. 12000 miles /20 miles per gallon = 600 gallon a year x $0.2 = $120 extra cost (not include the slightly higher mileage from premium gas).

If you can afford a luxus car, I do not believe that you can not afford the extra $100/Year.
Definition of octane rating is wrong. Heptane has nothing to do with heat or energy.
The octane rating is a measure of the autoignition resistance of gasoline (petrol) and other fuels used in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. It is a measure of anti-detonation of a gasoline or fuel.
A common myth amongst petrol consumers is that adding a higher octane fuel to a vehicle's engine will increase its performance and/or lessen its fuel consumption; this is false—engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for and any increase in performance by using a fuel with a different octane rating is minimal or even imaginary.
The octane rating of a spark ignition engine fuel is the knock resistance (anti-knock rating) compared to a mixture of iso-octane (2,2,4-trimethylpentane, an isomer of octane) and n-heptane. By definition, isooctane is assigned an octane rating of 100 and heptane is assigned a an octane rating of zero. An 87-octane gasoline, for example, possesses the same anti-knock rating of a mixture of 87% (by volume) iso-octane and 13% (by volume) n-heptane. This does not mean, however, that the gasoline actually contains these hydrocarbons in these proportions. It simply means that it has the same autoignition resistance as the described mixture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Affordability has nothing to use with need or no need for Octane Rating 91 gasoline. If you can afford $120 a year, why not paypal and donate the $ to Club Lexus.
Old 08-14-07, 08:56 AM
ricdiablo
Driver School Candidate

umm...WTF?

how are you guys getting over a 300 cruising range...

do my wife and I need to relearn how to drive? When she primarily drives it, it says 255 after a fill up with an avg of 14-15 mpg. (we do mostly city driving)

shes been on vacation for two weeks so i filled it up, again the 250s and then for the rest of the week, i kept the navi on the trip info screen. I was watchng it meticulously and pretended it was a game. I seriously was very careful. this is mix city and highway since ive been using it. Well when the yellow light came on, i went to refill the car. The computer said 280...which is the highest ive ever seen it. lol with an avg of 18.5 mpg.

am i missing something here? I have a 2004 and i only use premium. 18" wheels with the performance package. (i also want to add its very hard to be fuel efficient in a city like San Francisco. The hills are a real killer.
I'm with you. I have an AWD and don't hit 300 unless I let the light stay on for a very uncomfortable amount of time. You can't exactly refer to it as "highway driving" if the highway is the 101 freeway--no smoother than driving around the Embarcadero. However the way I get 25+ mpg is to drive mostly on even-flow freeways (off-peak), and turn off the A/C (just vent and fan).
Old 08-14-07, 01:04 PM
2spark
Driver School Candidate

Just something to ponder. At $120.00 per year at 6% return compounded for 20 years I will have an extra $5017.63 to pay down on a newer RX.
Old 08-14-07, 02:18 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 2spark
Just something to ponder. At $120.00 per year at 6% return compounded for 20 years I will have an extra $5017.63 to pay down on a newer RX.
Definitely the logic I'd expect to hear from a Neon or a Cobolt driver. I can't believe anyone here is really concerned about $2.50 - $3.00 on a tankful of gas and drive a luxury car. LMAO.

$120 won't buy enough wine to last a couple weeks or a decent meal for me and the wife. I typically buy a new Lexus a bit more frequently than once every 20 years but thanks for sharing your financial logic to luxury car ownership. Glad it works for you. ROTFLMAO
Old 08-14-07, 02:46 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I use 87 octane, but I also put in some STP Gas Treatment on every other fill-up.

Old 08-14-07, 06:04 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm with you. I have an AWD and don't hit 300 unless I let the light stay on for a very uncomfortable amount of time. You can't exactly refer to it as "highway driving" if the highway is the 101 freeway--no smoother than driving around the Embarcadero. However the way I get 25+ mpg is to drive mostly on even-flow freeways (off-peak), and turn off the A/C (just vent and fan).
yeh, i have an awd too. i dont even turn on AC ever! lol.

Quick Reply: Gas Octane