RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

need some advice on new car

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 07:46 AM
argoldst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice on new car

Well I currently have a lexus is350 2006.

I had to bring it in for some repairs and the dealer gave me and new 08 rx350 which I absolutly LOVED. Having never liked SUV's before, I decided to test drive a few and really only liked the lexus rx and the acura mdx.

So here is my problem (and there are quite a few choices).

1) Wait a month and get the new 2008 acura mdx.

2) Get a 2008 rx350

3) Get a 2007 rx400h (basically for the same price as an 08 rx350

4) Sit on my is350 and wait for the new 09rx

My big problem is that I MUST have traffic included on my navi (i think it would be a waste otherwise). Does either rx in 07 or 08 have this? If not, that rules out getting an rx now. Then the question becomes go for the new 08mdx or wait for the new 09 rx.

Thoughts?
Old 08-21-07, 11:43 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Well if you gotta have real time traffic on your nav then forget about the 2008's as they will NOT have it. I say you go for the 2008 MDX, they are awesome cars just not as refined as lexus'
Old 08-21-07, 11:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe the 09 will have it ????
Old 08-21-07, 12:04 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

argoldst,

I am exactly in similar boat as you. My need have changed and the RX will suit me better than the IS. Dont get me wrong, I love the IS a lot, even when mine is only the 250 .

My question is to get or not to get the 2008 RX350:

1) The 2009 new body RX is coming out in the spring of 2008. Our brand new 2008 Rx will look 'outdated' in 5-6 months from now?

2) When the new body is out, I wonder how the resale of our brand new 2008 RX going to be? (accelerated depreciation?)

3) When the new body is out, will I be able to fight the temptation not to trade my 2008 RX in?

4) I am sure stealerships going to sell the 2009 RXs at MSRP when they 1st come out. For any kind of discount, expect sometime in mid yr 2009. That means it is around 2 yrs from today. If I decide not to get the 2008 RX and wait for the 2009 to be bought off MSRP, it is going to be a 2 yrs wait, OMG.

5) As suggested in earlier post, I can always go with Acura MDX. But I drove and sat in one of my buddy's and I dont really like it.

Choices ....choices....

Last edited by SugarRush; 08-21-07 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 03:59 PM
argoldst
Driver School Candidate

Well if it helps, I made a decision. You are looking at a proud new owner of a 08 rx350 prem plus with navi. I also got cargo tray, all weather mats, and xm.

Bottom line, with the trade in, I paid only 10k OTD (all in). At that price, it would have been stupid for me to do anything else.

FYI, my 06 is350 was is really good shape and had 16500 miles on it.

Total on the car was 41005 and got 31500 for my trade in. As I said above, after all taxes, fees, etc., we agreed on an even 10k.

If you are intersted in the same deal, let me know and I may be able to hook you up with the same salesman.

Originally Posted by SugarRush
argoldst,

I am exactly in similar boat as you. My need have changed and the RX will suit me better than the IS. Dont get me wrong, I love the IS a lot, even when mine is only the 250 .

My question is to get or not to get the 2008 RX350:

1) The 2009 new body RX is coming out in the spring of 2008. Our brand new 2008 Rx will look 'outdated' in 5-6 months from now?

2) When the new body is out, I wonder how the resale of our brand new 2008 RX going to be? (accelerated depreciation?)

3) When the new body is out, will I be able to fight the temptation not to trade my 2008 RX in?

4) I am sure stealerships going to sell the 2009 RXs at MSRP when they 1st come out. For any kind of discount, expect sometime in mid yr 2009. That means it is around 2 yrs from today. If I decide not to get the 2008 RX and wait for the 2009 to be bought off MSRP, it is going to be a 2 yrs wait, OMG.

5) As suggested in earlier post, I can always go with Acura MDX. But I drove and sat in one of my buddy's and I dont really like it.

Choices ....choices....
Old 08-22-07, 04:45 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

congrats on the purchase. so how come you traded your IS350? more room?
Old 08-22-07, 05:53 PM
argoldst
Driver School Candidate

Yes, Dont' get me wrong, I love the is350 but I can't really use it. I mean, how often can I go 100+mph?

Maybe I'm just getting older but I would rather have the more comfortable ride and more space then huge speed that I can't really use.
Old 08-22-07, 08:35 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol..that RX will get you to 100 in a flash as well--believe me
Old 08-23-07, 02:24 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand you might be looking for more cargo room and space, but be careful if you were never an SUV person. I am not an SUV person, yet in 2003 we traded our BMW in for a new 04 RX330. Can you imagine that? My wife really liked the Lexus RX330 and I was also over all pleased with it for what it was. The problem is, I am not an SUV person so after a while the novalty wore off. I wanted more power, better handling, better steering all back. Basically, a larger sedan car might be a better choice. If I were you, I'd do a lot of soul searching before I give up my car for an SUV if you were really not an SUV person before. Too me, you either are an SUV person or you are not. One can live with a truck or SUV if they have other cars as well though which is where I was at.
Old 08-23-07, 05:53 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

SUV...easier loading and unloading. When you get to my age....getting in and out of a car....is trickier, especially if you have one that's down low. SUV, hop in and out. You see a lot better because you are elevated. The RX gives you the car like qualities you love but gives you the elevation.
Old 08-23-07, 06:02 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Crossover SUV's are a compromise between the truck-based vehicles and a family sedan. While they are FAR better at moving your tail end from one place to another in comfort than a truck, don't expect sedan-like handling or performance from them either. They are too tall (for ground clearance and that high eye-level) and too heavy (for all that sheet metal and glass to enclose all that extra space - not to mention the AWD dirvetrain offered in many models). For these reasons, they handle quite well on the straights, and most do not embarrass themselves too badly on a winding road - but they will never be much as an autocrosser or club racer. Neither would many four-door "family" sedans.

Anyone wanting to feed their Speed Racer fantasies would be better off buying or building a track car - a project car that can be driven on weekends, or in "production" class competition. If you get the bug to go on to "modified" status - something no longer street-legal, you will find it a much cheaper and more satisfying starting point. Besides, if you manage to break it, you can still get to work on Monday.
Old 08-23-07, 06:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I don’t think anyone here is under the illusion that the RX is an auto crosser or club racer. That’s why I find the performance SUV segment a little strange.
Old 08-23-07, 06:32 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by The G Man
I don’t think anyone here is under the illusion that the RX is an auto crosser or club racer. That’s why I find the performance SUV segment a little strange.
I agree. I test drove the Infiniti FX (the so called performance suv) and imho, it is tyring to hard to be a sport car. I dont like it at all.
Old 08-23-07, 06:37 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by argoldst
Well if it helps, I made a decision. You are looking at a proud new owner of a 08 rx350 prem plus with navi. I also got cargo tray, all weather mats, and xm. Bottom line, with the trade in, I paid only 10k OTD (all in). At that price, it would have been stupid for me to do anything else. FYI, my 06 is350 was is really good shape and had 16500 miles on it.

Total on the car was 41005 and got 31500 for my trade in. As I said above, after all taxes, fees, etc., we agreed on an even 10k. If you are intersted in the same deal, let me know and I may be able to hook you up with the same salesman.
Hmmm, I may be tempted to go to the stealership this Friday and have my IS250 appraised for a new 08 RX350. Mine should be lesser than your IS350, but we'll see what the cost differences will be. I tried to sell the IS privately, but no one bite! Even after i reduce the asking price three times. Now, it is already slightly below KBB/Edmunds private party.

That's a good deal you got there! Congrats on the new RX! I will pm you to ask more details about the deal.

Last edited by SugarRush; 08-23-07 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-23-07, 08:09 AM
argoldst
Driver School Candidate

I really appreciate your feedback. HOwever, I had the car as a loaner for over 1 week while my is350 was in the shop.

My big gripe with SUV's and why I do not like them was that They were just too big. I felt like I was driving a bus. I felt this way with the mdx and that is why i ruled that model out. For whatever reason, the rx does not feel too big for me.

As for wanting more power, I really started to think about how often I have floored my is350. Honestly, it was very rare. Luckily the rx is not underpowered so I don't feel like i'm missing anything. With the traffic around NY and NJ, it is not like I can take spririted rides on curvy roads. That is super rare. What is more common is me sitting in traffic (and wanting to be comfortable) and being able to control my car on those days when there is snow on the ground (BIG problem with my is 350)

Finally, I can not tell you how many times I was frustred buying something and it not fitting in my car (tv, bbq, etc.). The space is very welcome.

To me, I don't look at it like I'm buying an SUV. Hell, I still do not like SUV's. They are just too big and they still feel to me like I'm driving a bus.

For whatever reason (and maybe it is 100% in my head) the rx is sort of a middle ground between suv and sedan. I like it.

If I am making a mistake, I will just trade it in in about a year. If not, I will keep it longer. But either way, espeically with the deal I got, I could not be happier right now.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I understand you might be looking for more cargo room and space, but be careful if you were never an SUV person. I am not an SUV person, yet in 2003 we traded our BMW in for a new 04 RX330. Can you imagine that? My wife really liked the Lexus RX330 and I was also over all pleased with it for what it was. The problem is, I am not an SUV person so after a while the novalty wore off. I wanted more power, better handling, better steering all back. Basically, a larger sedan car might be a better choice. If I were you, I'd do a lot of soul searching before I give up my car for an SUV if you were really not an SUV person before. Too me, you either are an SUV person or you are not. One can live with a truck or SUV if they have other cars as well though which is where I was at.

Quick Reply: need some advice on new car